Total online 1643
 Radio listeners 187+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
  Articles >> Interviews : DJ Fenix
Interviews
Interviews with artists, DJ's, promotors.
    DJ Fenix
Author: silver
Rate this resource!

DJ Fenix

DJ Fenix stands proud
Q: Who are you, where you from, what do you do?
A: My name is Mikel Fenix (DJ Fenix) and I play happyhard, hardcore and freeform in Sydney Australia. I also do events such as Hyperspeed, Area51 and Logic and run a big web site called http://overdrive.com.au

Q:
How did you choose your DJ / artist name?
A: I actually used to call myself DJ Wizard over 12 years ago, but when I moved to Sydney there was already a DJ Wizard so I changed my name to Phoenix (risin from the ashes and all that), but promotes always had trouble spelling my name so I changed it to Fenix.

Q: Got into hardcore when and why?
A: Well I was always into the harder dance music, right back to the late 80's, so when the hardcore started coming out on 92-94 I just followed along.

Q: How many track releases you have under your belt
A: none, but lot's of plans. Just need the time to get into the studio and start rippin' them out.

Q: Tell us about your live act?
A: I do a live back to back mixing thing with DJ Marcos and Mc Losty, and we are called The Rapid X Team. Mc Losty tears up the microphone hyping the crowd up as me and Marcos rip through as many tracks as we can in a special 20 min set. Either side of that 20 mins we play 2 separate styles but in normal back to back fashion. We launched the team in June and are now playing again in Sydney on Aug 31 2002 and in Brisbane on Sept 7 2002.

Q: What is your future plans for hardcore for the year ahead?
A: Well I'm touring a lot more, playing in Brisbane, Adelaide, Cairns and Canberra, and there are stacks of parties coming up in Sydney, so I'm going hell for leather pushing the hardcore sound wherever I can.

Q: What are your current involments or projects you are working on?
A: I've got my parties which are mentioned above. I'm expanding my rave web site - http://overdrive.com.au and I'm djing heaps. I'm a buys man.

Q: What do you think the future hardcore styles will be or evolve into?
A: I really dig the freeform sound that Kevin and the Nu Energy collective are pushing and I can see hardcore gaining a more mature sound over the next couple of years. Just as the chipmunk vocals on the late nineties disappeared, I can see less of the cheesy side coming through in Hardcore releases.

Q: Favorite record label?
A: A couple of favourites, Nu Energy and Blatant Beats. Nu Energy for the wicked freeform sound and Blatant Beats for the stormin' hardcore.

Q: Favourite DJ (other than yourself)?
A: I don;t have a favourite in particular as there as so many outstanidn dj's in Sydney. A few I really dig, and the guys that I consistently bill at my parties for that very reason include Marcos, Matrix, Weaver'n'Suae, Chester, Shade . . .the list goes on.

Q: Best / favourite hardcore moment?
A: At Back to Basics when it was held at The State Sports Centre in Homebush, I started my main arean set with the old Masterplan track by Dyewitness. The dj booth was up on the giant stage, and when the song dropped out I went to the front of the stage and started waving my arms from left to right (goofy Fenix). Well 2,500 people joined in and there was this monster sea of glowstix waving about through the arena. That was amazing.

Q: Worst hardcore moment?
A: It wad recently actually. I was playing my first set at Home Nightclub, at their Elevation under 18 event and the way the decks are set up at this club, they are sprung to the hell so as soon as you touch the deck it like bounces up and down and won't stop. So my fgirst mix I go to speed the record up just a bit and the whole deck shimmies and shakes and the record goes way off beat. I couldn't believe it, it was my first set and my first mix and I farked it up. From then on through the set I was EXTRA careful.

Q: What you do in your spare time?
A: I actually run a company called Promotions Republic and we do all the flyer designs for the parties in Sydney.

Q: You have a web site?
A: Yeah - http://www.overdrive.com.au - go check it out. IT ROCKS!!

Q: You have a public contact email address?
A: you can always catch me on mikel@overdrive.com.au

Q: What's your message to all the hardcore punters all over the world?
A: Enjoy the hardcore and be nice to other people . .Simple!

Added: 2002/08/13  Hits: 3569    Votes: 3  Rating: 

It took 0.34 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page