Radio listeners 167+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 General discussion
 what makes a good dj?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
hardcore_fan as well as being in time etc i would say scratchin as well

MC RizlaDizla Its also how that DJ mixes 1 choon to another, how they flow. The overal set should have a certain consistant flow to it as well.

Choon selection

and how that dj controls the crowd, how they build the crowd up etc.

"Oh my goodness, Oh my Gosh. Here we go with a badboy rush".
DJ Mouse i remember my cousin saying to me once: "a dj is only as good as his records" in other words,a good dj has good tunes etc,mixing ability's a massive advantage as well,put the two together,and voila! a quality dj

DJ Mouse In Da House!!!
Tyrant of course u can't be a good dj unless u have good tunes. But i know plenty of people with good records who aren't good dj's. a set should be intelligent... it should go somewhere. can't just be anthem after anthem. mixing has to be tight and u have to connect with a crowd

A wise man once said duh.
huggablez420 I agree with Yyrant. I've noticed that the DJs who I believe may be POPULAR aren't necessarily GOOD at all!n I think to be "good" means you have skill. Not only can you choose tracks that fit together well to form a good set, but you know the tracks well enough to make them your own. The crowd should react to a djs ability to master the turntable. A good dj can be good with absolutely ANY music.

"Open your eyes, see all the love in me..."
djbungle a great dj is some1 who can read the night plus the crowd.
And also the dj got to enjoy himself bopping along with the crowd.

what!!!!
Tyrant true dat, bungle...

as much as i'm not the HUGEST fan of what he spins, when i saw Carl Cox spin at his Ultimate B.A.S.E clubnight for 250 people in London, he was groovin and bouncing and REALLY getting into it. Totally charged up the room with his enthusiasm

DjGAV Djing is performing, and with performing comes the need to entertain the crowd. This can be done in heaps of ways but a good dj will use his skills and his resources to take the crowd from the dancefloor through a mystical journey beyond the athems and breakbeats, hardtranced out set and samples, and does it in a way in which the Dj and crowd are at one level with the music. I always love a dj that gets into his set, like dances as he mixes, or sways their hands to the vocal parts. Love it.

yea, yea, this rocks... or maybe...
No, no dont stop a rocken'
huggablez420 Yeah, it's awesome when a DJ REALLY gets into their music, but does that make them a "good" DJ?

[size="4"]P.L.U.R![/size="4"]
Tyrant doesn't hurt

DJ Pathfinder dave clarke is the man he has all of the elements of a good dj.
playes underground techno but get everywere the best atmoshere.
feeling the crouwed.
got also super skils . and also played different styled in one set.

Edited by - DJ Pathfinder on 09 Oct 2001 06:51:09
NagamaK a good dj knows his records and manipulates them to his advantage. thas my 2 cents. I luv it when they use the cross-faders/effects boxes and u feel like the music just got so different..or it's gone for a sec then comes rushing back to blow you away. But lots of dj's just stand there. Enthusiasm def helps but if you don't know what you're mixing, u'r gonna bomb with the crowd. And if you're good and just sit there, might as well be a radio belting out a cd.

From a fan....

huggablez420 NagamaK: Exactly! I agree with you TOTALLY. :)

P.L.U.R!
Brian K a good dj imo is someone who doesn't go with the majority and plays what he/she likes. i respect someone much more if they drop unpopular chunes even if it doesn't get a massive response. however, if you're someone new coming into this people will look at you and go "you're weird", but if you've been in the scene for quiete sometime people will look at you and go "wow that's unique." i think it's a given that if you're a good dj you can beatmatch, maybe even do a little scratching on the side. To be a good dj, it's a presentation of the material in your record bag. Send your listeners on a trip....

"If Yoda so smart in Force is, why words in right order he put not?"
MC RizlaDizla Mark EG is a good example of a dj feeling his music. AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!Smash goes another record. I know lets eat it now.

"Oh my goodness, Oh my Gosh. Here we go with a badboy rush".
Midway_raver mark eg is f**king mental!!! With his whistle etc. The vibes n livelee shows aswell u felyt as if u were aktually part of teh set n not just listening n dancing to it!! same with mc sharkey ,

Ant B
Alex_In_Wonderland I agree with Nagamak that the key to being a good dj apart from the obvious, keeping a beat, is to know your records back to front and then use that knowledge to totally enhance a set.

Alex.
sunrize i just recently had the opportunity to spin on three tables at a party, and i had a ****in' blast. have another one coming up real soon that i requested to have three setup for me and if worse comes to worse i'll just take my own table.

it was nice having one table mostly dedicated to scratch records as well as mixing three tracks simultaneously & cuts here and there

peace,
barrett
DJ Mouse i used to have 3 decks,but i sold them and got my 1210's,it's hard mixing on 3 but sounds great if you do it right

DJ Mouse In Da House!!!
sunrize beatmatching two records at the same time is fun

peace,
barrett
hardcore_fan i think a good dj is some one who hypes the crowd up through the whole set not just 1 tune. loftgroover is class at it

Padre Personally i think its a combination of everything.
Most importantly attitude...
Attitude toward teh crowd, attitude to teh music, and attitude to their peers.
One of the reasons i stopped DJing and started producing was because of this.
Too much negativity (down here in oz anyway)

As for talent, I think theres alot out there, and those who can create a mood for the crowd are the successful ones.
Also, i think a blend of new with some snippets of older anthems gets a really good response, as it sparks ppls memories to older parties and feelings.

Most importantly, they should have FUN, isnt this the reason why its called HAPPY HARD??
:)

For we are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams - Willy Wonka

Click the link for my latest track!!
www.letdabasskick.homestead.com
silver hmmm my 2 cents...

1. Respect, no matter if you are the top DJ in the world you should never think you are better than someone, everyone starts DJing at sometime and some people have had more experence.

2. Remembering rule 1 - do what you like and what you think is best, don't follow other people or listen to what other people tell you... if you like a track and you think it will go down with the crowd play it and stand by your selection. I have seen many a DJ play a so called "cheesy" track and then say sorry for that after playing it... screw that.. you played it stand by your selection and don't be scared about what other people think. This will define you as a DJ.

3. Don't EVER forgot who helped you get where you are, it's easy to do this... you should never forgot these people and always give them a break. I remember when I got my first DJ gig and when I got slightly "bigger" and started doing parties myself I booked the DJ that helped me get my first gig just to say thanks.

4. Remembering rule 1 and 3 - Share the wealth, help out other DJ's and give other people their breaks they need to start in the scene. If they follow the same rules as these you will have a good friend for life, you never know they might get extreamly famous (see rule 3).

4. P.L.U.R and have fun... don't be in it for the fame, women or the money be in it for yourself don't expect it... and then perhaps the fame, woman and money will come as a bonus.

----------------------------------
you, me and hardcore forever.
Darkstar I think its the way the DJ is able to become one with the crowd. Not should they take the crowd through a roller coaster of emotions, they should take themselves along too. There's nothing like a watching a DJ who is truly feeling the emotions out of his records.

It took 1.05 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page