Radio listeners 170+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Tracks, DJ mixes & release announcements
 New (old) Hixxy & Dougal CD

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
GrahamC
Released 19th April ?9.99 for CD or MP3

Get it here : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Back-Old-Skool-Hardcore-Ministry/dp/B07PXN4NND/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=old+skool+happy+hardcore&qid=1554793889&s=gateway&sr=8-2

Disc: 1
1. Ramos, Supreme & Sunset Crowd Control (Slipmatt Remix)
2. DJ Seduction Sample-Mania
3. JDS Higher Love
4. DJ Red Alert & Mike Slammer In Effect (Sy & Unknown Remix)
5. Dougal & Mickey Skeedale Really Love You
6. SMD SMD #3
7. Jimmy J & Cru-L-T Six Days
8. Dougal & Vibes Feel Free
9. DJ Force & The Evolution Perfect Dreams
10. Brisk Airhead (SMD Remix)
11. Force & Styles All Over The World
12. Triple J Have It All
13. Interactive Forever Young
14. A Sense Of Summer On Top (Hixxy Remix)
15. Hixxy & Druid Panic
16. Ham, Demo & Justin Time Here I Am
17. Dougal & Eruption Party Time
18. Dougal & Mickey Skeedale Got To Go
19. Seduction & Eruption Bust The New Jam
20. Hixxy & Sunset People's Party

Disc: 2
1. Force & Styles Feat. Junior Pretty Green Eyes
2. Hixxy & Sharkey Toytown
3. Slipmatt & Eruption Sunshine
4. Antisocial Get Into Love
5. Visa Fly Away (Hixxy Mix)
6. Sy & Demo Devotion
7. Triple J Follow The Sun
8. Hopscotch Midnight Express (Steamtrain)
9. Force & Styles Heart Of Gold
10. Antisocial My Way
11. Scott Brown Now Is The Time
12. Dr. Who Love Of My Life
13. DJ Paul Elstak Rainbow In The Sky (DJ Paul's Forze Mix)
14. BANG! Sailaway (Storm & Seduction Remix)
15. DJ Paul Elstak Luv U More
16. Stingray & Sonicdriver As Cold As Ice
17. Force & Styles Shining Down (Slipmatt Remix)
18. BANG! Shooting Star (Al Storm's HS Remix)
19. Amen UK Passion (Sy & Unknown Remix)
20. Seb Rainbow Islands

Disc: 3
1. N-Trance Set You Free (Hixxy Mix)
2. Hixxy & UFO Welcome
3. Mickey Skeedale Feat. Jenna Through The Darkness
4. Divine Inspiration The Way (Breeze & Styles Remix)
5. Hixxy & Re-Con Love Comes
6. Hixxy Sacrifice
7. System F Cry (Re-Con Remix)
8. Darren Styles Come Running
9. Dougal & Gammer Every Time I Hear Your Name
10. Dougal & Gammer Feat. Hannah Faulkner Knight In Shining Armour
11. Hixxy Deep In The Night
12. Dougal & Gammer Guitar Hero
13. Dougal & Gammer Feat. Jenna All The Tears I've Cried
14. Ultrabeat Elysium (I Go Crazy)
15. Dougal & Gammer Lifting Me Higher
16. Hixxy & Re-Con Power Of Love
17. Darren Styles Cutting Deep
18. Styles & Breeze Feat. Karen Danzig Heartbeatz
19. Gareth Emery & Standerwick Feat. Haliene Heatwave Saving Light (Hixxy Remix)
20. Dougal & Gammer Feat. Niki Mak Back Home
Craig Cairney Same old, same old. I swear there's been about 3 albums in recent years with the exact same track-list. I get that these are some of the all-time biggest tracks, but for somebody who has heard these a million and one times, and has them splattered all over numerous compilations from yesteryear, it would be nice to see some other bits and bobs feature.

Not really sure who an album like this is supposed to be marketed too? I can't see the new generation of ravers being that into it. And people like myself who've been following the genre for over 25 years won't be rushing to pre-order their copy. I don't think. It just seems another lazy classic album designed to try and milk a few more pounds.
Triquatra
quote:
Originally posted by Craig Cairney:
Same old, same old. I swear there's been about 3 albums in recent years with the exact same track-list. I get that these are some of the all-time biggest tracks, but for somebody who has heard these a million and one times, and has them splattered all over numerous compilations from yesteryear, it would be nice to see some other bits and bobs feature.

Not really sure who an album like this is supposed to be marketed too? I can't see the new generation of ravers being that into it. And people like myself who've been following the genre for over 25 years won't be rushing to pre-order their copy. I don't think. It just seems another lazy classic album designed to try and milk a few more pounds.

Quoted for truth!

Wouldn't it be cool to acutally grab a few of the old fellers and tell them the album their mix can only have 90s tracks and remixes that were never on any other albums. That'd be interesting to hear.

GrahamC
quote:
Originally posted by Triquatra:
quote:
Originally posted by Craig Cairney:
Same old, same old. I swear there's been about 3 albums in recent years with the exact same track-list. I get that these are some of the all-time biggest tracks, but for somebody who has heard these a million and one times, and has them splattered all over numerous compilations from yesteryear, it would be nice to see some other bits and bobs feature.

Quoted for truth!

Wouldn't it be cool to acutally grab a few of the old fellers and tell them the album their mix can only have 90s tracks and remixes that were never on any other albums. That'd be interesting to hear.

Bunter did a couple of those now didn't he? the first one has sold out but there is a sequel with him and a couple of other blokes: https://www.musicmondays.co.uk/cd/mmcd021

But back to the original topic, honest advertising might make a few sales 'All the songs you already own in a different order'

Whats putting me off this is that Hixxy & Dougal are a safe pair of hands, there is going to be nothing exciting about this compilation, just slow boring track into track mixing which is the MoS standard on albums these days. I am surprised they didn't just mix it in house, doubt anybody would notice the difference
djDMS No reason to buy it whatsoever.

However, if the unmixed tracks are full length I'm interested.
Samination considering the lack of info, I doubt it. And knowing Hixxy's other CDs (The HTID ones) with full length version, it's probably just touched-up vinyl rips
Captain Triceps Yeah if it comes with full length tracks I might be interested, although I have almost all of them on vinyl (that were released on vinyl, obviously).
It'll probably be a cleanly mixed, barely sped up selection with no scratching or trickery. I'd rather just put some early Bonkers on.
Samination
GrahamC
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:

So, the cover of the CD says it is mixed by Hixxy & Dougal

Bloke asks Hixxy if the tracks on the CDs are mixed, Hixxy says not sure. Either he mixed it or he didn't...
Samination
quote:
Originally posted by GrahamC:
quote:

Bloke asks Hixxy if the tracks on the CDs are mixed, Hixxy says not sure. Either he mixed it or he didn't...

Well, who's mixing the 3rd disc? :P
GrahamC
quote:
quote:
quote:

I assumed the whole thing was a back to back effort if you can call swapping seats at the computer that (or emailing the project back and forth). 20 tracks on CD3 will not be full length at all, they will have mixed all 3 discs.

Ministry of Sound don't have form for releasing discs of full length tracks on their compilations in physical form but there was a time when if you bought the digital you did get proper full length tracks and the 2 or 3 mixes.

Don't know if you bought Clubland Extreme 9 digitally or not but the 'tracks' were just fade ins and outs, bit gash as I was hoping to get Gammer - Nostalgia full length and it wasn't even close
MusicILove
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I assumed the whole thing was a back to back effort if you can call swapping seats at the computer that (or emailing the project back and forth). 20 tracks on CD3 will not be full length at all, they will have mixed all 3 discs.

Ministry of Sound don't have form for releasing discs of full length tracks on their compilations in physical form but there was a time when if you bought the digital you did get proper full length tracks and the 2 or 3 mixes.

Don't know if you bought Clubland Extreme 9 digitally or not but the 'tracks' were just fade ins and outs, bit gash as I was hoping to get Gammer - Nostalgia full length and it wasn't even close

Here are the track times
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/back-to-the-old-skool-happy-hardcore-ministry-of-sound/1458396788
I don't think they are unmixed. It just looks like its the mix split up in to tracks instead of 3 Continuous mixes and tracks individually.
warped_candykid I hope they at least put some pitch to those tracks. Dougal has a knack at keeping the tracks as at the slowest bpm possible. Hopefully Hixxy has the urge to re-create those Bonkers 1 & 2 tempos.

Also, are those going to be the original versions of Higher Love & People's Party, or the Slipmatt Remix and Bonkers 2 version?
Captain Triceps
quote:

He gave Nostalgia away for free a few years ago.

Also that Hixxy and Druid version of Panic was remade recently and for all intents and purposes sounds absolutely identical to their version.
MusicILove
quote:
Originally posted by warped_candykid:
I hope they at least put some pitch to those tracks. Dougal has a knack at keeping the tracks as at the slowest bpm possible. Hopefully Hixxy has the urge to re-create those Bonkers 1 & 2 tempos.

Also, are those going to be the original versions of Higher Love & People's Party, or the Slipmatt Remix and Bonkers 2 version?

I have a very VERY VERY bad feeling that they might slow it down to 160 to conform to their modern standards.
GrahamC
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Triceps:
quote:

Also that Hixxy and Druid version of Panic was remade recently and for all intents and purposes sounds absolutely identical to their version.

Yeah, I got it when he eventually put it out, as usual with Hardcore he took forever and a day to put it out
warped_candykid
quote:
quote:

Si Thompson It's a no from me.
Hard2Get
quote:
quote:
quote:

That is not Hixxy's '96 remix though!

This is it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncxJbI9PdhU
Si Thompson
quote:
Originally posted by Hard2Get:
quote:
quote:
quote:

That is not Hixxy's '96 remix though!

This is it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncxJbI9PdhU

I wonder why the Hixxy remix never got released?

I have the remake and it's near enough.
djDMS They're not skimping on the advertising, just seen an ad for it halfway through Emmerdale.
MusicILove I think it?s not even mixed. Just a bunch of radio edits. I?m only going on the iTunes song previews but Styles & breeze - Heartbeatz & Ultrabeat - Elysium I go crazy are 140 ish bpm versions. They couldn?t even be bothered to use the hardcore versions.
MusicILove If you buy the MP3 version from amazon it says it comes with continuous mixes but the iTunes one doesn?t. Can it really be that hard to release something on download stores where everyone gets the same deal. I thought Ministry of Sound was supposed to be a professional label. It?s a no from me. If they were all unmixed digital tracks then probably yes I would get it.
djDMS Wasn't expecting full length tracks to be honest and the run time suggests they'd have to be edits anyway.
MusicILove There is 1 full length track
Passion (Sy & Unknown Remix)
warped_candykid https://www.juno.co.uk/search/?q%5Btitle%5D%5B%5D=%22back+to+the+old+skool%3A+happy+hardcore%22&hide_forthcoming=0

From the samples, it seems Elysium (I Go Crazy) & Heartbeatz are not the hardcore versions...which is weird on how it's suppose to be mixed because the tracks before and after are back to hardcore tempo.
djDMS
quote:
https://www.juno.co.uk/search/?q%5Btitle%5D%5B%5D=%22back+to+the+old+skool%3A+happy+hardcore%22&hide_forthcoming=0

From the samples, it seems Elysium (I Go Crazy) & Heartbeatz are not the hardcore versions...which is weird on how it's suppose to be mixed because the tracks before and after are back to hardcore tempo.

That happens a lot when labels are forced to provide single tracks with 'mixed' (using the term loosely here) CD's. Often they stick any old version in.
Samination Well, the Heartbeatz version literally says "radio edit"
djDMS Oh, and I did end up buying it.

And yes, it's rubbish.
Samination which store?
Are they properly mixed, cross-fading edits or separated edits?
djDMS Got it from Amazon.

Some abrupt mixes, others 8 bars at most. Pretty much every tune in the mixes edited/shortened.
warped_candykid
quote:
Originally posted by djDMS:
Got it from Amazon.

Some abrupt mixes, others 8 bars at most. Pretty much every tune in the mixes edited/shortened.

What about the mixing into Elysium (I Go Crazy)...how did they pull that off?
Si Thompson
djDMS
quote:
quote:
Got it from Amazon.

What about the mixing into Elysium (I Go Crazy)...how did they pull that off?

They didn't. Its pathetic.
Impulse_Response Why is disc 3 even there if this is supposed to be old skool?
warped_candykid
quote:
Originally posted by Impulse_Response:
Why is disc 3 even there if this is supposed to be old skool?

They had to do something to attract the 2010s generation.
djDMS Just popped by again to repeat how awful this is.

So angry at myself for giving in and buying it!
warped_candykid Just listened to CD 1 & 2...This is not mixed, it's edited. And some of the songs are shortened to the point of "what's the point?"
GrahamC Got mine (for free or I would be angry!)

Mixing is lazy or non-existent for the most part.

Reasonable tune selection, not a typical artist mix with a few token tracks from other artists is a bonus I suppose.

For free it's passable but not worth a tenner, would much rather listen to my Bonkers collection which I have painstakingly digitised for easy access! At least some effort went into those CDs!
LeVzi Disk 1 looks alright, but i've heard endless mixes of those same tracks.

Disk 2 is wobbly, but Disk 3 isn't remotely old skool happy.

I just wonder why the massive amount of tunes from 1994-97 that were off the charts good never seem to get put on these mixes.
warped_candykid
quote:
Originally posted by LeVzi:
Disk 1 looks alright, but i've heard endless mixes of those same tracks.

I just wonder why the massive amount of tunes from 1994-97 that were off the charts good never seem to get put on these mixes.

Or why the Happy Rave/Pengo Records tracks never get picked :/
Triquatra
quote:

I reckon that may just be down to licensing nonsense.
warped_candykid So I listened to CD 3. I'm sure it doesn't, but it sounds like the tempo slows down between certain songs to keep the tracks in their original tempos. I dunno, I know I have to be wrong, but it just sounds like it.

All in all, I applaud MOS for dipping back into the 90s to showcase some tracks from yesteryear in today's market. Hixxy & Dougal....I don't know why they edited the CD as they did, but I'm sure I speak for many on saying we were hoping for that Bonkers-era mixing.
LeVzi
quote:
So I listened to CD 3. I'm sure it doesn't, but it sounds like the tempo slows down between certain songs to keep the tracks in their original tempos. I dunno, I know I have to be wrong, but it just sounds like it.

All in all, I applaud MOS for dipping back into the 90s to showcase some tracks from yesteryear in today's market. Hixxy & Dougal....I don't know why they edited the CD as they did, but I'm sure I speak for many on saying we were hoping for that Bonkers-era mixing.

I wasn't, i'm still hoping that someone produces a compilation remixed by a DJ who's a bit nuts, and digs into all those hard, fast, bouncy happy tracks that have sat dormant for years, and they obviously remaster them first then get a fast hard mix ala Brisk.

With so many back catalogues getting remastered and released, I am hopeful of a revival of sorts of all those Dwarf, Babyboom style tracks getting played out again, and maybe even bring new blood to the table and remixes galore. I nag Davie Forbes a lot about remastering and releasing his catalogue, that man did some awesome tracks back in the day.
djDMS
quote:
So I listened to CD 3. I'm sure it doesn't, but it sounds like the tempo slows down between certain songs to keep the tracks in their original tempos. I dunno, I know I have to be wrong, but it just sounds like it.

It does.

For some ridiculous reason they only had the slower versions of I go crazy (refuse to call it Elysium) and Heartbeats.

Adding insult to injury.
LeVzi
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by LeVzi:
Disk 1 looks alright, but i've heard endless mixes of those same tracks.

This is very true, quite a few labels about that had awesome tracks on them back in the day, that are completely ignored , same from European labels, even if you can't get hold of the label owner anymore, someone would know.
kazukism92 Let's behind clear on it.

Is a mix album or just a Radio Edit compilation that does cringe a lot as a Fake advising to feature Hixxy & Dougal as DJ but no one has mixed that thing.

Question of the day tho.
warped_candykid
quote:
quote:

It does.

For some ridiculous reason they only had the slower versions of I go crazy (refuse to call it Elysium) and Heartbeats.

Adding insult to injury.

Even outside those two tracks, like early in the mix, it sounds like the tempo changes, as if the track was slowly set back to its original tempo after "the mixing".
djDMS I listened to the 'mixes' once, then quickly deleted them from my memory.

The single edits are totally useless for mixing but some of them are ok for individual listening

It took 2.82 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page