Radio listeners 178+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 If you could revive Bonkers?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
DJ Blazar What would be your 4 DJs?
lainnix I would give anything for some new Bonkers with only old style tracks.
Coolgamer Controversial choice, but I'd love to have Anabolic Frolic come out of retirement for just one more last group hug.
Impulse_Response I'd pick CDJay.
Samination If CDjay were to make a mix of that, it would be a mix with only one track on loop :P

OB Oulton - All The Non Believers
"To all the non believers, here's a big f* you!"
Vladel Disk 1 hixxy/styles
Disk 2 kev energy/AB
Disk 3 Scott brown & M-project
Disk 4 Dougal/Joey Riot
htid_4_life Hixxy b2b Sy
Scott Brown b2b Marc Smith
Dougal b2b Vibes
Brisk b2b Vinylgroover
parrott
quote:
Originally posted by Impulse_Response:
I'd pick CDJay.

I'd pick CDJay.
djDMS No.

Absolutely not.
GrahamC You'd have to revive the scene before you could revive Bonkers!!

I'd have:

Ben Stevens doing a classics disc
Transcend & Cyrax doing a mix of remixes of classic trance tunes (like their Castles in the Sky remix)
Fracus & Darwin doing a set of tunes as good as or better than their remix of cube:hard's show me a sign
Cotts & Ravine doing what they do. They'd need 80 mins of decent material first though
CDJay
quote:
Originally posted by GrahamC:
You'd have to revive the scene before you could revive Bonkers!!

The only answer. Otherwise it's like suggesting Abraham Lincoln as a replacement for Trump.

It *would* have worked in 2013, when we last tried. Now it's something that should only ever be considered if the surrounding situation is significantly healthier than it is.

CDJay
Samination Sorry for being ignorant, but Ben who?
danielseven In my opinion, it would be pointless to revive this brand right now. The game has changed.
Triquatra When the music is bonkers again, then it will be time.

Doubt that will ever happen. I'd argue it wasn't so much the DJs that mattered somuch as the music that was being presented. It'd just be presenting 3 or 4 CDs of the same sound nowadays no matter which DJs and I don't want to hear a classics mix..

so in conclusion I'm just massively grumpy.
djDMS
quote:
Originally posted by Triquatra:
When the music is bonkers again, then it will be time.

Doubt that will ever happen. I'd argue it wasn't so much the DJs that mattered somuch as the music that was being presented. It'd just be presenting 3 or 4 CDs of the same sound nowadays no matter which DJs and I don't want to hear a classics mix..

so in conclusion I'm just massively grumpy.

But right.
GrahamC
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
Sorry for being ignorant, but Ben who?

Believe it or not Smoogie found him!!

https://www.happyhardcore.com/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=92388

To me at least, that is an awesome classics set, better mixed than I have ever heard from the so-called Top Tier.
Smoogie
quote:

To me at least, that is an awesome classics set, better mixed than I have ever heard from the so-called Top Tier.

Yes Ben Stevens is usually a Hard House artist but like a lot of people he can branch out.

Saying that some of his Hard House releases really do put a lot of Hardcore to shame yet are on par with earlier Hardcore in the sense of 'if you make tune, you do it properly'

It is a shame that Hardcore takes nothing from Hard House these days yet in the early 2000s there was that odd hint of borrowed ideas. Freeform and the early Trancecore came quite close at times yet of course Freeform was faster. Some even dared mix both styles together.

These days with Hardcore trying to be like a faster EDM sound it is too far removed from it's routes to really be called Hardcore. The funny thing is I have heard of 150 BPM releases. Hard House has that and sometimes even faster.
djDMS That wasn't a request for a load of pointless Hard house tunes.

As for the rest of your post....garbage as usual.
warped_candykid CD 1: Al Storm
CD 2: Brisk
CD 3: Vibes

I would love to see Anabolic Frolic return, but I just can't see him outside the Happy2bHardcore series. It would be great if he would release a new Happy2bHardcore here in the States.
GrahamC
quote:
Originally posted by Smoogie:
quote:

Yes Ben Stevens is usually a Hard House artist but like a lot of people he can branch out.

I think its embarrassing though for the scene that an outsider can come in, scoop up all the tunes and do something better with them than the scene's own leading members!
Samination
quote:
Originally posted by warped_candykid:
CD 1: Al Storm
CD 2: Brisk
CD 3: Vibes

I would love to see Anabolic Frolic return, but I just can't see him outside the Happy2bHardcore series. It would be great if he would release a new Happy2bHardcore here in the States.

Just as much as everyone keeps taking Sharkey out of Bonkers :P

Sadly Sharkey was part of the Bonkers brand since he started it/was the brainchild behind it.
GrahamC The other thing I would say is, anybody doing a mix should be required to actually do it on a set of decks/CDJs with no Serato etc. - actual live mixing

djDMS
quote:
Originally posted by Smoogie:
quote:
Originally posted by djDMS:
That wasn't a request for a load of pointless Hard house tunes.

As for the rest of your post....garbage as usual.

Triggered!

You ever thought of posting something relevant or worthwhile?
Mansy Once again that oxygen thief smoogie pops his shit stained head and yet again still tries to brainwash us with his vomit worthy hardshite!

GrahamC Just ignore it, it's my fault for mentioning a HH DJ who occasionally plays classic hardcore
Triquatra Yeah you've just added a bunch of hard house stuff to the thread and not even remotely alluded to the original topic. Try and stay focused mate. Thread cleansed.
warped_candykid
quote:
The other thing I would say is, anybody doing a mix should be required to actually do it on a set of decks/CDJs with no Serato etc. - actual live mixing

YES!! Live mixing!
Vladel
quote:
Yeah you've just added a bunch of hard house stuff to the thread and not even remotely alluded to the original topic. Try and stay focused mate. Thread cleansed.

He does it all the time and should be permanently banned.
fakka13k Hixxy
Dougal
Vibes
Kevin Energy
Sulphurik If there was to be a new album in reality, it would be quite a bit different to any of the previous albums. The sound has changed quite a bit since then but will still be some similarities IMO.

Mix 1 Hixxy & Darren Styles - would feature combination of the style Hixxy normally includes in his mixes but with addition of the Darren Styles & Tweekacore and Electric Fox tracks.

Mix 2 Scott Brown & M-Project - featuring Evolution tracks with addition of some harder tracks eg. Dutch/ Italian artists but I'd be happy with just the Evolution style on the mix.

Mix 3 Fracus & Darwin - I've not actually heard much at all from them for a while but they're big names in scene now so I'd include them. They usually do a good variation of styles and their style I think would work well for a Bonkers album.

As in previous Bonkers albums, there's normally a mix by Sharkey but as he's not producing or involved in the scene unlikely he'd do a mix. Kevin Energy would be more likely but not sure how much he's involved within the scene currently and I think there would be a limited number of new tracks available to include for a mix of this style.

Mix 4? A possibility for this mix could be one or two up and coming/ newish producers eg. Macks Wolf or anyone have some other artist suggestions?

Triquatra Right i'll play ball...kind of.

CD1 UK Hardcore, but kazoos are banned
CD2 Freeform but it all sounds like it was made between 1995 and 2001
CD3 Breakbeat Hardcore
CD4 ...CD4 would be a promo only 'old skool' cd. It would change each new album and feature a different major old player...but they'd only be allowed to use dubplates and promos that never saw a release, neither in a mix nor DJ Friendly; so it would be a brand new nothing has been heard before ...except maybe played out once back in 94 or some shit.
So that CD would be proper old happy hardcore...or freeform...or whatever.

Ken Masters I reckon Bonkers is best left alone at this stage.

Why revive though? Create new ideas & look forward :)
SparkzMusic Disc 1: Impact
Disc 2: Technikore
Disc 3: UFO
Disc 4: Myself *

* Has to be done, plus these days after what has been 17 years of production and not really participating in the core scene anymore, I do listen to a lot of my own and "Lucky Strike" alias stuff for the old memories of what I produced. Yep, it's probably shit but had a lot of fans and followers at the time.

lainnix
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Masters:
I reckon Bonkers is best left alone at this stage.

Nothing released in the last decade has been as good as early Bonkers. We tried going forward and it didn't work. We gotta go back.
SparkzMusic
quote:

Trance is Trance at the end of the day. It's done to perfection, euphoric arps, that sound we all know and love.

It's like saying to 70's Disco sound, "create new ideas and look forward". In over 40 years it's still known to have that distinctive bassline and sound.

UK Hardcore, well the Euphoric trance days, is what it is. How can new ideas be put down without changing the sound and style?

Should people just say "Well those were the good days, gone now, ah well" that's the end of that. Or hear/produce shit they really dont like.
Triquatra Change is a funny one..

Dutch Hardcore / Gabber has hardly changed a jot in almost 2 decades...yet still packed out arenas.
djDMS
quote:
Originally posted by SparkzMusic:
quote:

Trance is Trance at the end of the day. It's done to perfection, euphoric arps, that sound we all know and love.

It's like saying to 70's Disco sound, "create new ideas and look forward". In over 40 years it's still known to have that distinctive bassline and sound.

UK Hardcore, well the Euphoric trance days, is what it is. How can new ideas be put down without changing the sound and style?

Should people just say "Well those were the good days, gone now, ah well" that's the end of that. Or hear/produce shit they really dont like.

He said don't revive Bonkers, create new ideas.

I didn't see anything about what the music should sound like.
Sulphurik
quote:
Change is a funny one..

Dutch Hardcore / Gabber has hardly changed a jot in almost 2 decades...yet still packed out arenas.

Could say the same about drum n bass.
Triquatra Aye, at least for certain sub genres of it.

I wasn't saying it was a bad thing at all, quite the opposite. Change enough that your core audience **** off, and fail to invite anybody new into it and you bugger yourself.
rafferty A new Bonkers would probably revive the scene like it did in 2000.
I would make it a lot more than 4 djs to gain interest and keep everyone happy.

7 disc set and call it Bonkers United with a combined effort from all promoters and djs being involved. Can you imagine the amount of people that would be back in their studios producing Hardcore again for the mixes.
Would be like an injection into the HARDCORE ECONOMY.
Maybe it could be done by a go fund me page through Slammin Vinyl & Hardcore Underground and any other promoters that want to be involved.

1) IYF & Nobody vs Vinylgroover & Force
2) Gammer, Macks Wolf & Alex Prospect vs Breeze & Unknown
3) Brisk & Ham vs Joey Riot & Kurt
4) Slipmatt & Seduction vs Ramos & Supreme
5) Scott Brown & Bass Generator vs Marc Smith & Technotrance
6) Hixxy, Dougal & Recon vs Styles & Stonebank
7) Fracus & Darwin vs Storm & Euphony
CDJay That's pretty much exactly what I said in 2013 😂

(admittedly, I pitched 4 CDs but all as b2bs)

Everyone waited in case another Clubland Xtreme happened, instead. It didn't.

CDJay
djDMS Which is just another confirmation of all that's wrong with this 'scene'.

A new Bonkers would probably sell loads on the name (particularly if some of the same, tired old dinosaurs were attached to it), rather than the music.
rafferty Yeah the name and having loads of djs from the past present involved would make the promotion of it absolutely massive.
It would double the market interest of normal Hardcore releases.
lainnix
quote:
Originally posted by rafferty:
A new Bonkers would probably revive the scene like it did in 2000.

7 disc set and call it Bonkers United with a combined effort from all promoters and djs being involved. Can you imagine the amount of people that would be back in their studios producing Hardcore again for the mixes.
Maybe it could be done by a go fund me page through Slammin Vinyl & Hardcore Underground and any other promoters that want to be involved.

Love the idea, but please no Gammer...
The drunken scotsman
quote:
Originally posted by rafferty:
A new Bonkers would probably revive the scene like it did in 2000.

That would be great, but ?unlikely? would be a very generous way of describing it on so many levels. Muck like the whole idea of reviving bonkers in the foreseeable future.

Out of curiosity as Ive never understood, but what does vs (versus) mean in the context of a back to back dj mix?
djDMS
quote:
Originally posted by The drunken scotsman:

Out of curiosity as Ive never understood, but what does vs (versus) mean in the context of a back to back dj mix?

Short answer - absolutely nothing!
Just makes doing exactly the same thing sound like a competition.
rafferty Is actually an old concept versing.

What you would have is two sets of dj decks with a mixer on each set, both connected to the one sound system.

For example you have Joey Riot & Kurt on one set of decks while Gammer & Alex Prospect are on the other set.

While one team of djs is playing the other team could drop in samples, cut and scratch into the others playing track.

If the djs are skilled and know how to do it right, can be really entertaining.

djDMS We could all go to the Ravers Reunited Bonkers event - probably the nearest we'll get.

Some surprises on the line up.
SparkzMusic
quote:
Originally posted by CDJay:
That's pretty much exactly what I said in 2013 😂

(admittedly, I pitched 4 CDs but all as b2bs)

Everyone waited in case another Clubland Xtreme happened, instead. It didn't.

CDJay

Wasn't that the dominating scene because those who had a say simply let it be?

If peeps come to recall, I personally went to blows with Breeze over some things with HP album. Which was in parallel with HP album. What happened?

A couple of blokes (inc Hutchy?? **** knows who that tosser is?) telling me on msn that Breeze has some beef with me, that hes had a meltdown posting abuse about me over his page and then they stirred the pot even more ("sparkz" has said xyz)

As I recall, I then told Mark Breeze what a complete load of dogshit he is, was blocked and all his comments against me and the HP album were removed.

Let me say this, I saw the asslicker comments when Breeze posted slander posts towards the HP album and those termites, especially the few who then became all 2 faced asking for pellas and work with me, are on the avoid list.
trippnface
quote:
We could all go to the Ravers Reunited Bonkers event - probably the nearest we'll get.

do hixxy & dougal play new garbage, or is this like classics?

sucks when i have to question the sets at a party these days.
Triquatra
quote:
Originally posted by trippnface:
quote:
We could all go to the Ravers Reunited Bonkers event - probably the nearest we'll get.

Yeah, that's my worry too - supposed to be a classics set but get the feeling it'll stick around bonkers 1 and 2 for literally a couple of songs and then suddenly be straight up to 2006 onwards.

Really tempted by it because UFO/Druid/Ham...and Hixxy/Dougal/Scott Brown (if they're actually going to stick to the early bonkers at all) to be fair but the travel to get there is awkward from Cumbria (it'll be trains or buses) I think it would have needed..vinylgroover and an old skool freeform set or two in order to tip the balance for me. (music vs hotel (money) and public transport (money) whilst messy).

btw, how stabby is leicester?
djDMS Nowhere near as stabby as Birmingham or London and I've managed to escape them unscathed.

I'm tempted for the same reasons - and put off for the same too.

I can see they've tried, but it's not quite doing it for me.

At least they didn't book Mr 'No show'
rafferty
quote:
quote:

I think a 100% they would play stuff from their bonkers cds at a bonkers party. Otherwise it would make no sense if they played new releases.

Saying that. There is plenty of brilliant new stuff being produced by guys like Techikore & Macks Wolf etc..

Still uplifting, just an evolved fresher more intelligent sound with hardstyle riff influences.
Time to stop being an old man saying I only like the old vintage music :) We are not in 2006 anymore. Things would be so stale and dull if things never evolved.

lainnix
quote:
Originally posted by rafferty:There is plenty of brilliant new stuff being produced by guys like Techikore & Macks Wolf etc..

Still uplifting, just an evolved fresher more intelligent sound with hardstyle riff influences.
Time to stop being an old man saying I only like the old vintage music :) We are not in 2006 anymore. Things would be so stale and dull if things never evolved.

Many would argue that current "hardcore" got stale around 2010.

I don't even know how to respond to "more intelligent sound"...
The drunken scotsman
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yeah, that's my worry too - supposed to be a classics set but get the feeling it'll stick around bonkers 1 and 2 for literally a couple of songs and then suddenly be straight up to 2006 onwards.

Really tempted by it because UFO/Druid/Ham...and Hixxy/Dougal/Scott Brown (if they're actually going to stick to the early bonkers at all) to be fair but the travel to get there is awkward from Cumbria (it'll be trains or buses) I think it would have needed..vinylgroover and an old skool freeform set or two in order to tip the balance for me. (music vs hotel (money) and public transport (money) whilst messy).

btw, how stabby is leicester?

I notice that the event is at the emporium in Coalville which is a non-distinct town (aka a shitehole) outside of Leicester (also a shitehole) and not the easiest to get to by public transport. I remember going to an Uproar event at this very same venue back in 2005 and having one of the worst nights out of my life. The place was packed full to the rafters with complete cretins looking for trouble. Im sure things are different these days but id never go back based on that experience.
ConnerIntenzifi We hold annual Bonkers events here in Glasgow & Hixxy & Dougal play 90% happy hardcore classics, tbf they both always ask what we want played (era not specific tracks), tends not to be much upfront stuff from anyone although we had Re-Style finishing at last one (Gabber having a big market in Glasgow) & he played alot of old skool dutch stuff remixed into upfront gabber & it worked really well, although as I said Glasgow is alot harder than the rest of the UK.
DJ Bounce
quote:
Originally posted by ConnerIntenzifi:
We hold annual Bonkers events here in Glasgow & Hixxy & Dougal play 90% happy hardcore classics, tbf they both always ask what we want played (era not specific tracks), tends not to be much upfront stuff from anyone although we had Re-Style finishing at last one (Gabber having a big market in Glasgow) & he played alot of old skool dutch stuff remixed into upfront gabber & it worked really well, although as I said Glasgow is alot harder than the rest of the UK.

The Re-Style one looked banging!
DJ Bounce
quote:
Originally posted by SparkzMusic:
Wasn't that the dominating scene because those who had a say simply let it be?

If peeps come to recall, I personally went to blows with Breeze over some things with HP album. Which was in parallel with HP album. What happened?

A couple of blokes (inc Hutchy?? **** knows who that tosser is?) telling me on msn that Breeze has some beef with me, that hes had a meltdown posting abuse about me over his page and then they stirred the pot even more ("sparkz" has said xyz)

As I recall, I then told Mark Breeze what a complete load of dogshit he is, was blocked and all his comments against me and the HP album were removed.

Let me say this, I saw the asslicker comments when Breeze posted slander posts towards the HP album and those termites, especially the few who then became all 2 faced asking for pellas and work with me, are on the avoid list.

I remember that palaver haha! Breeze spat the dummy big time!

95_was_the_time nothing will ever be as good as the first 6 bonkers cd's
wong
quote:

i was at ravers in november for the black party classics event, and was rather disappointed at the 'classics' they played then, was hoping for fires in the sky and other tunes from that era. but no, more like 2006 onwards as you say, which i dont dislike at all but was hoping for 1 or two 2002/3/4 tracks chucked in.
Craigavon raver
quote:
Change is a funny one..

Hmmm, what gabber do you listen to! could say the gabber scene is just like the uk hardcore scene ( are whatever you want to call it) can obviously get some quality tracks these days, but when you listen back to the older stuff, you know the score!
Craigavon raver
quote:
Change is a funny one..

I've actually been listening to a lot of new gabber recently on youtube, and then last week heard some old early 2000's gabber and a few cracker tunes i loved from back in the day, and you can tell the difference! well i can anyway
Triquatra Oh sure they'll be a difference, but not as much as the difference between 1995 happy hardcore and current UK hardcore.
LeVzi Just do 4 live sets on 4 disks from Stu Allen.
sterichie26 UK Hardcore/ Happy hardcore back in the day used to make the hairs down my neck and arms stand up, my body came alive..... I can honestly say i cannot remember when i heard any newly produced/ released track that has had that effect on me. Hardcore being produced now is pretty much dead. It started changing for me from 2010 and then after 2012 it was total change and now it is dead.
LeVzi I dunno what happened, but Sharkey is well out the loop now right ?

Bonkers 1 was alright, the rest were gash to me.

It took 3.64 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page