Radio listeners 174+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 This scene ...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
baakaara Was once great, the tunes were happy and uplifting, with beautiful vocals. However now sadly it is full of SHIT HOUSES who have diluted the scene with Warpy trappy dub steppy 150bm HORSE SHITE. There are only 3 BIG players which still produce happy warm uplifting hardcore which are:
Fracus & Darwin
Technikore
Darren Styles (To an extent)

The rest are bunch of sell out SHIT HOUSES who have robbed the fans !
warped_candykid Actually, you forgot Al Storm & Scott Brown. Fracus & Darwin & Darren Styles are quickly becoming two sides of the same coin with that commercial/polished sound with tracks that have no intros to mix with.
Vladel Fracus and Darwin are seeming to go that way and to be honest, they are as annoying as they are great at times. The latest album is a great example of this. As for Alstorm, i totally agree that he is great these days and i know he is working his socks off on the 90's stuff too. In terms of the happy uplifting stuff, you need to be looking at HPTG Music (label) also, M-project and Daniel Seven is about my favourite producer for to years running now.

It is much harder to find good music at the moment.
Impulse_Response
quote:
Originally posted by warped_candykid:
Fracus & Darwin & Darren Styles are quickly becoming two sides of the same coin with that commercial/polished sound with tracks that have no intros to mix with.

I feel this way a lot. I buy most HU stuff but Fracus & Darwin usually leave me underwhelmed now. So many of their tracks promise a lot and then kill the energy with simple, bland leads and a commercial pop vibe. I wish Darwin would bring back the glory of tracks like Connected and Let Me In.

I'm also way too picky about modern stuff and usually only get 2-3 tracks I like off any album, whether HU, other UK Hardcore, Japanese hardcore or otherwise, so anything I say is best ignored.

Smoogie First we had this:

Then this:

Then this:

Then this:

Now we just get this:

So I listen to this:

warped_candykid Yes! I wish Darwin would go back to the style of tracks like Connected and Light Up My Life, with interesting leads, rough percussion, and cheesy vocals. His tracks use to have a nice bit of chaos in them. Maybe one day.
SparkzMusic The "Styles and Dougal - Home" track isn't that bad.

Just funny how it's really Stonebank. The production, everything, is no different to "ripped to pieces". Even that follow on into the breakdown (Where last few notes of main melody is repeated off beat in next breakdown/build).

So thats percs and stuff... Styles. The rest is Stonebank (weather him doing it or a technique Styles learned off him).

Apart from making a few cups of PG tips during the process, I would wonder what Dougal has put into that collab? **** all being the likely answer.
Impulse_Response
quote:
Originally posted by SparkzMusic:
The "Styles and Dougal - Home" track isn't that bad.

I concur. For better or worse I'm liking the hardstyle ripoff of tracks like Heroes from Hardcore Heaven.
Mansy
quote:
Apart from making a few cups of PG tips during the process, I would wonder what Dougal has put into that collab? **** all being the likely answer.

Well we are yet to see a proper upfront solo track from him arent we. I heard on the hardcore heaven sanctury dvd (2003) when they were interviewing gammer (when he was first on the scene) that dougal was incharge of mixdowns so whether or not he still follows that path i dont no
Vladel
quote:
Originally posted by Mansy:
quote:

Well we are yet to see a proper upfront solo track from him arent we. I heard on the hardcore heaven sanctury dvd (2003) when they were interviewing gammer (when he was first on the scene) that dougal was incharge of mixdowns so whether or not he still follows that path i dont no

Dougal - senses. From 2017, one of the HU hardcore heaven albums.
Mental_Adam I don't know jack about a lot of the music/scene since 2008. I am pretty much a nostalgic of the 1990s stuff and the stuff when i was a teenager in the 2000s.

The drunken scotsman
quote:
quote:

There are plenty of examples of producers who dont have any solo tracks in their back catalogue. Sy being one. His tracks with Unknown are now legendary but Unknowns stint as a solo producer showed him to be average at best. Im struggling to think of many Brisk solo tracks too.

Back to Dougal, I always thought that he added plenty of value to his tracks. Dougal and Gammer tracks always sounded a lot more polished and generally miles better than Gammers solo work for example.

I agree with the initial point about his new tracks with Styles however. Sounds identical to all of the generic shite that has been coming out for the last couple of years. All of the sounds are preset and its difficult to see what influence he might have had on the track when Styles has been producing very similar tracks on his own for a while. Compare it to one of my all time favourites and possibly one of Dougal and Styles first collabs - Still the one. I thought both producers had a notable input with their sounds at that time.

Smoogie
quote:
Originally posted by The drunken scotsman:
quote:
quote:

There are plenty of examples of producers who dont have any solo tracks in their back catalogue. Sy being one. His tracks with Unknown are now legendary but Unknowns stint as a solo producer showed him to be average at best. Im struggling to think of many Brisk solo tracks too.

Brisk did some good remixes back in the day. His remix of Breeze's Jump a Little Higher is on of his best but overlooked works
SparkzMusic Dougal's dad was heavily involved with Dreamscape and doing photo stuff. Maybe helped Dougal be a part of it.

Styles has had all round talent and proved that. Dougal? Who knows. Gammer? Yep (not anymore). Breeze (nah). Hixxy? (Probably).

That's the thing with the scene aint it?

For the big names, someone carried someones else who learned a few bits which made their name noticeable because of who they worked with or the scene was in it's infancy.

They get carried further by someone else and so on.

Let's be fair here, "Vibes" is a classic example of this. What has he done at all?

Worked with Wishdokta. Got booked for events and paired with Livelee (Playing go mental and so on). Somehow booked for Bonkers 6 mix.

Then stole someone else's production as his own ("Z.o.e.e - Techno wonderland" in its original form was re-pressed and claimed as his own), which also puts in doubt his collabs with Wishdokta as likely having minimal input if he has to claim someone else's work as his own.

Consumed a can of stella in an IMO records interview, was somehow booked to do a mix for Dreamsape millennium collection.... and.... Oh wait?

Why didn't he include his "ravers choice - techno wonderland" in the mix for that? Perhaps as the album was released by Beechwood music and they would have uncovered his scam with that?

Carried on showcasing as the Vibes and Livelee parody show. Comes back into "producing" under Vibes and that other lad.

The mind boggles
robertybob
quote:
Originally posted by Vladel:
quote:
quote:

It's credited as a D&G track on Gammer's Jap-only album

https://www.discogs.com/Gammer-Yabai/release/11592722
Samination
quote:
Originally posted by robertybob:
quote:
quote:
quote:

It's credited as a D&G track on Gammer's Jap-only album

https://www.discogs.com/Gammer-Yabai/release/11592722

I wonder if "Yabai" (やばい) in this case means Shit/Crap/Terrible. I doubt it means Oh Shit/It's Dangerous or Cool/Terrific/Awesome :P
Mansy
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yeah i thought that when i first saw that but then later saw it renamed as dougal and gammer - senses so must have been a typo. As we all know, albums across the whole genre are litted with typos.
Samination Excluding artist albums, I think a lot of compilation have typos and wrong information on them on other genres too.
95_was_the_time wow, as much as I moaned about the hardcore in the mid 2000's. I'd much rather listen to that than this complete nonsense that passes for hardcore today.
trippnface
quote:
Originally posted by 95_was_the_time:
wow, as much as I moaned about the hardcore in the mid 2000's. I'd much rather listen to that than this complete nonsense that passes for hardcore today.

lol
Owen P
quote:
Styles has had all round talent and proved that. Dougal? Who knows.

What is "talent", by your definition? Please elaborate.

Also, why do you think Darren Styles has CHOSEN to work with Dougal for ... 15 years odd?? I'd love to know your rationale for that.

quote:
Gammer? Yep (not anymore).

Not anymore? So talent is something you can have for a limited amount of time that then disappears? Why do I get the feeling you just can't stand to award that attribute to someone once they hit a certain level of success? I dunno, man, you're looking just a tad bitter and twisted from where I'm sitting.

quote:
Breeze (nah). Hixxy? (Probably).

Have you ever been in the studio with any of these people? You're the arbiter of talent all of a sudden. What's it based on?

quote:
That's the thing with the scene aint it?

Let me guess... you and your pals never amounted to anything, so you blame "teh scene" for being fundamentally wrong/unfair? I'm sure you're gushing with "talent". Those guys are just holding you down, yeah?

quote:
For the big names, someone carried someones else who learned a few bits which made their name noticeable because of who they worked with or the scene was in it's infancy.

They get carried further by someone else and so on.

Why am I not surprised this is your angle?

quote:
Let's be fair here, "Vibes" is a classic example of this. What has he done at all?

Nothing "fair" about that. I can tell you without reservation that Vibes is a very exceptional person in many dimensions. Nobody who really knows him would say what you're saying.

quote:
Worked with Wishdokta. Got booked for events and paired with Livelee (Playing go mental and so on). Somehow booked for Bonkers 6 mix.

Wait... don't forget "sat on a secret board of directors with Brisk and Dougal plotting to hold Sparkz down.

quote:
Why didn't he include his "ravers choice - techno wonderland" in the mix for that? Perhaps as the album was released by Beechwood music and they would have uncovered his scam with that?

Ravers Choice is the label, not the artist, you ninny. Techno Wonderland on Ravers Choice is by Steve Smeeth and was featured on NOT ONE, but TWO compilation albums put out by Beechwood music. Could you be any more off the mark?

quote:
Carried on showcasing as the Vibes and Livelee parody show.

You're obviously mocking the Vibes & LiveLee show, but there's actually no substance to your sentence. They're one of the most-loved performing duos in hardcore's history. Doesn't sit well with your narrative, does it? Did someone else behind the scenes with "talent" do all the work, yeah?

quote:
Comes back into "producing" under Vibes and that other lad.

I've worked with probably a thousand producers. Vibes is easily in my top 10 in terms of bringing value to the session. So is Dougal. They're quite similar actually, although they have different strengths and certainly they have different tastes. Both are very passionate and creative. I'd be very tempted to call them geniuses, but that might be a step too far.

You're full of shit.

quote:
The mind boggles

Your mind boggles, because you don't want to face reality. You're not as successful as them because you don't bring as much value as them. It really is as simple as that. You can up your game, accept your position, or pursue something you're better at. But don't fire shots at people who legitimately earned their success.
Samination I'm pretty sure he was refering to the lack of anything in "vibes" "remix" of Tekkno Wonderland, which we all know was a straight up repress
GrahamC
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
I'm pretty sure he was refering to the lack of anything in "vibes" "remix" of Tekkno Wonderland, which we all know was a straight up repress

Sounds just like the DJ Vibes - Outer Spaced track on Hardcore Heaven 5 which was just a rip-off of Dune's Million Miles From Home
Samination
quote:
Originally posted by GrahamC:
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
I'm pretty sure he was refering to the lack of anything in "vibes" "remix" of Tekkno Wonderland, which we all know was a straight up repress

Sounds just like the DJ Vibes - Outer Spaced track on Hardcore Heaven 5 which was just a rip-off of Dune's Million Miles From Home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e3_ep6ynEw ?

That sounds a like a real remix. Doesnt sound like the original at least, but then I haven't listened to any of the other remixes.
Triquatra outerspaced is a proper remix, better than the dune one imo :P
Si Thompson IMO the scene needs tracks like this to make a resurgence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
djDMS
quote:
Originally posted by Si Thompson:
IMO the scene needs tracks like this to make a resurgence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

I know that's going to be Rick Astley without even looking
Triquatra oh ffs.

lol
LeVzi Egos , that started the demise, then the style of music just started hammering in the nails.

The ego's in the scene were plain to see, from budding bedroom DJ to amateur producer to the top level. It just casued a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouths , and changed the attitude to the scene.

I've followed hardcore since the early 90's, ended up hating it by the end of the 90's , came back to it at some point in the post 2000s' for a while, then lost interest again up until present day.

I heard a couple of remixes recently , can't remember where, and I think they were Darwins, of old tracks and it sparked that hardcore feeling again, but then I heard some original tracks and thought fk that, still hasn't changed.

Couple of years ago, I met DJ Sy outside a rave in my town, briefly spoke with him, and I briefly spoke with Slipmatt inside earlier in the night, and both blokes reminded me why the scene "way back when" was so good. Cos they don't have ego's , they are 2 of the most down to earth fellas you could speak to, especially Sy, and on the night, I wasn't expecting mid 90's hardcore, cos it was more an old skool rave, but Sy dropped it from the start, and I was transported back 20 years instantly, and that was a feeling I can't thank him enough for.

I dunno, I feel that the scene needs an injection of new blood, new attitude and new music, to revive it, because even if i've been critical of it a LOT over the last 10 years, it's still my favourite music, and i'd love to see it make a comeback.

The Rez event in April, looks awesome, if I could get there I would but quite simply cannot afford it, but going back to the 90's and introducing it to many, as a lot of younger guys who've never experienced the old style will get to, maybe it will plant the seed for new ideas, new producers, new DJ's who wanna emulate it and modernise it in a less cheesy way.

Who knows, but one can hope.
Si Thompson
quote:
Originally posted by LeVzi:
Egos , that started the demise, then the style of music just started hammering in the nails.

The ego's in the scene were plain to see, from budding bedroom DJ to amateur producer to the top level. It just casued a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouths , and changed the attitude to the scene.

I've followed hardcore since the early 90's, ended up hating it by the end of the 90's , came back to it at some point in the post 2000s' for a while, then lost interest again up until present day.

I heard a couple of remixes recently , can't remember where, and I think they were Darwins, of old tracks and it sparked that hardcore feeling again, but then I heard some original tracks and thought fk that, still hasn't changed.

Couple of years ago, I met DJ Sy outside a rave in my town, briefly spoke with him, and I briefly spoke with Slipmatt inside earlier in the night, and both blokes reminded me why the scene "way back when" was so good. Cos they don't have ego's , they are 2 of the most down to earth fellas you could speak to, especially Sy, and on the night, I wasn't expecting mid 90's hardcore, cos it was more an old skool rave, but Sy dropped it from the start, and I was transported back 20 years instantly, and that was a feeling I can't thank him enough for.

I dunno, I feel that the scene needs an injection of new blood, new attitude and new music, to revive it, because even if i've been critical of it a LOT over the last 10 years, it's still my favourite music, and i'd love to see it make a comeback.

The Rez event in April, looks awesome, if I could get there I would but quite simply cannot afford it, but going back to the 90's and introducing it to many, as a lot of younger guys who've never experienced the old style will get to, maybe it will plant the seed for new ideas, new producers, new DJ's who wanna emulate it and modernise it in a less cheesy way.

Who knows, but one can hope.

I agree with all of this.
95_was_the_time but are UK hardcore events even still happening?

that's how out of touch i've been with the scene since 2010 (2010, Which I really do assume is the death year of hardcore)
Is HTID and Uproar still a thing?

All it seems to be now is EDM festivals. It's like Hixxy and co KNOW people have dropped out of the scene... because of the new 20somethings around now with their own generation of dance music.
All hardcore rave promoters can do now is treat us like old people and give us special 30+ only events.... obviously it won't be.... if you're under 30 you're not allowed in, but that will be the main audience attending. 30+ grey haired and balding men wishing we were still 20.
Triquatra Pretty sure they called time around about 7:16pm sometime in september/october 2006.

There were still great pieces of hardcore released after that, it just became really hard to find in between the gasping of final breaths and blood gargling.
95_was_the_time there were still events in the UK between 2006 and 2010 though. but since 2010. nothing! I went to the HTID website and....... oh, it doesn't exist anymore!!
95_was_the_time interesting article
http://www.kniteforcerevolution.com/posts/5-things-the-hardcore-scene-needs-to-learn-in-2015/

but eeehh, I don't wanna feel sad or pesimistic. I'll just go back and listen to the music I loved. so Happyhardcore from 94 on-wards. and even the 2002-2005/6 stuff (which I didn't like much at the time but I reckon I can still enjoy it more now)
LeVzi
quote:
interesting article
http://www.kniteforcerevolution.com/posts/5-things-the-hardcore-scene-needs-to-learn-in-2015/

but eeehh, I don't wanna feel sad or pesimistic. I'll just go back and listen to the music I loved. so Happyhardcore from 94 on-wards. and even the 2002-2005/6 stuff (which I didn't like much at the time but I reckon I can still enjoy it more now)

That's actually a really good read, its from Luna C Right ?

He misses the point with the money side of things, its still in reverse just not to the numbers they probably charge these days, but why should the newbie be charging more, and the older ones charging less, if you are a proven product then you deserve to be paid for it.

But he pretty much nails the rest of it. especially the last one, get out of the comfort zone, as that's something I have hated for years in hardcore, stop rinsing a formula, and that formula was vocal hardcore. Because that just spawns a string of cheese songs that are too soppy for hardcore, and an endless string of pop music remixes.

Anyone remember Boom boom boom by the outhere brothers ? I cringed in 96 when I first heard that remixed in hardcore, and I will say it again, this kinda shit had no place on the dancefloor at a rave.

Using ASPECTS of a vocal in a track worked way much better. how many classics use vocals lifted from other tunes but that other tunes melody or groove is totally warped and changed. Works so much better.
Icewind
quote:
but are UK hardcore events even still happening?

that's how out of touch i've been with the scene since 2010 (2010, Which I really do assume is the death year of hardcore)
Is HTID and Uproar still a thing?

All it seems to be now is EDM festivals. It's like Hixxy and co KNOW people have dropped out of the scene... because of the new 20somethings around now with their own generation of dance music.
All hardcore rave promoters can do now is treat us like old people and give us special 30+ only events.... obviously it won't be.... if you're under 30 you're not allowed in, but that will be the main audience attending. 30+ grey haired and balding men wishing we were still 20.

I am from Canada, but a quick check on Scott Brown's Insta shows that he is still playing out quite often in Glasgow and such so I would say that their are still hardcore parties going on.

LeVzi There are parties coming up, loads of better ones in Scotland.

Nothing at all in my area, even Bristol seems quiet for it.

More aimed at DnB around here.
95_was_the_time hmmm ok is no one here concerned about the uk hardcore event drought at the moment ?

anyway, thought I'd all bore you with my age/generation questions

I watched a bit of post 2010 HTID in the sun footage, can't remember which year specifically and it all vibes off as a bit cringey, with mc storm treating us like a loyal family of old kids. also the numbers looked a bit low for your usual HTID event.

which end of the demographic (age wise) is the dropping out happening? is it the 30+ (which I assume is most of us here) or is it that new ravers (16-25ish) aren't coming into the scene? is it cause they're not interested cause they see a bunch of older people listening to (what probably sounds like in their ears) dated music. or is it they just don't even know about hardcore because of the whole wretched EDM music invasion from the late 2000's or whenever it crept in.
It makes me physically cringe writing "EDM" you know. hate everything about it. the fact the name stuck, the actual music too, but that's a whole nutha can of worms.

Honestly, if you're reading this and you're 16-26ish, we welcome you to hardcore with our arms wide open! we really do!

but yeah, that's when you KNOW you're getting old... when you don't know what the generation below you listens to.. (besides from commercial radio crap)

Also another question. I came back here thinking this place would be a bit more buzzing, but it really isn't. I dislike FB so I'm not on it but I'm guessing all the forums have moved on to there. shame really. what a load of sheep some of us can be. forums forever!!
DjCirrus
quote:
Fracus and Darwin are seeming to go that way and to be honest, they are as annoying as they are great at times. The latest album is a great example of this. As for Alstorm, i totally agree that he is great these days and i know he is working his socks off on the 90's stuff too. In terms of the happy uplifting stuff, you need to be looking at HPTG Music (label) also, M-project and Daniel Seven is about my favourite producer for to years running now.

It is much harder to find good music at the moment.

If you want something awesome and different in my opinion, check out some Japanese happy hardcore aka j-core. Some are uplifting like the song I'm listening to right now called Light of the heavens by DJ Noriken!!!!
Triquatra from a UK (and my own) perspective
quote:
hmmm ok is no one here concerned about the uk hardcore event drought at the moment ?

No, not really. I almost feel like it needs to die in order for it to have any chance of a fresh start. Pretty sure its "too late" though, the way people consume and enjoy music has shifted too much.

quote:
which end of the demographic (age wise) is the dropping out happening?

The true oldies (40+)left decades ago, the mid-oldies (32-40) were hanging on for dear life but eventually gave up around about 2010 and have been dropping like leaves ever since. As for newbies they're from generation that doesn't need clubs and raves anymore or find it interesting. There was a concerted effort to make happy hardcore, the fast, stupid, silly, melodious music centered on melody and vocals, into fast, serious, monotonous music, focused solely on the kick; for some weird reason people started ****ing off.
Barely anyone new was/is coming into 'the scene' as it no longer has anything different to offer other than 20bpm extra.

Couple that with the social change, people are just staying home and listening to music (which most of the new hardcore wasn't designed for).

quote:
I came back here thinking this place would be a bit more buzzing, but it really isn't.

facebook killed forums, people left as the music changed from what pulled them in in the first place. There must be about 10 regular users, but a few of us have come back since the Sharkey and Vinylgroover digital projects surfaced.

Hard2Get
quote:
the mid-oldies (32-40)

How convenient that that 'mid-old' should start at 32; my exact age!
djDMS True oldie here, still just about hanging on.
Smoogie
quote:
hmmm ok is no one here concerned about the uk hardcore event drought at the moment ?

anyway, thought I'd all bore you with my age/generation questions

I watched a bit of post 2010 HTID in the sun footage, can't remember which year specifically and it all vibes off as a bit cringey, with mc storm treating us like a loyal family of old kids. also the numbers looked a bit low for your usual HTID event.

which end of the demographic (age wise) is the dropping out happening? is it the 30+ (which I assume is most of us here) or is it that new ravers (16-25ish) aren't coming into the scene? is it cause they're not interested cause they see a bunch of older people listening to (what probably sounds like in their ears) dated music. or is it they just don't even know about hardcore because of the whole wretched EDM music invasion from the late 2000's or whenever it crept in.
It makes me physically cringe writing "EDM" you know. hate everything about it. the fact the name stuck, the actual music too, but that's a whole nutha can of worms.

Honestly, if you're reading this and you're 16-26ish, we welcome you to hardcore with our arms wide open! we really do!

but yeah, that's when you KNOW you're getting old... when you don't know what the generation below you listens to.. (besides from commercial radio crap)

Also another question. I came back here thinking this place would be a bit more buzzing, but it really isn't. I dislike FB so I'm not on it but I'm guessing all the forums have moved on to there. shame really. what a load of sheep some of us can be. forums forever!!

I have not heard of anyone going to a Hardcore even in a long time. The 'over 30s' which I fall into have mostly move on in one way or another. I know a few people who still mix but the new stuff is just dull. Apart from the odd 'old style' release there is nothing really worth listening to so I converted to Hard House two years ago and the best thing I have done in years and that scene is getting lively. I am on Facebook groups and there is always something going on, releases, events and mixes yet the Hardcore sites I am still on have slowed right down and same as here, people saying it was better years ago and not much happening.
Triquatra Hard House you say? Is that scene still alive?

SparkzMusic "Your mind boggles, because you don't want to face reality. You're not as successful as them because you don't bring as much value as them. It really is as simple as that. You can up your game, accept your position, or pursue something you're better at. But don't fire shots at people who legitimately earned their success. "

It's too hilarious. Honestly you've missed a lot of points there.

If Vibes is so great then why steal someone else's work in full and pass it off as their own? I find it f\/cking bewildering how someone can do this and stand there saying "yep, I made it" knowing full well they nabbed it off a German release vinyl that at the time not many people would have been aware of.

To people at the time, Vibes had just created a masterpiece that everyone loved and no doubt a lot of artists wanted to work with him. As that's how it works right? Someone makes a "hit", and other artists want to collab with them?

Through collaboration comes learning new techniques and production. If you get in with the right crowd, the possibilities are endless. Still doesn't change the fact someone robbed/cheated their way to it. It isn't "legitimately" earning success, it's stealing.

What reality is there to face? My own production was never meant to be successful. I did it all for the love of the music, simple as that. I've turned down club sets, collabs with people who aren't exactly small time and labels who wanted to release my work.

Everything I have made has been my own work. Nobody showing me how it's done. Nobody teaching me stuff.

I can't read sheet music, I have no idea what LFO stands for. I don't even know many technical terms for stuff in production, and yet I can produce? Because I got stuck in for over 15 years playing around with stuff, knowing what it does but having no technical understanding behind most of it.

The "success" I have achieved has exceeded 10000 times what I ever expected or wanted from the scene. Accumulating hundreds of thousands of plays of my work on youtube, quite a big amount of followers, winning Hoodzie's remix competition (which I entered purely for fun) and being asked to remix a Virtue and Slammer track (that Gammer went on to remix as well) and Lisa Abbott track.

When all I ever aimed to do was make music I enjoy listening to and can give away for free, for even just a few people to also enjoy. So, if anything, for what I intended and what I achieved, I'm probably more successful than most.

Even now, when I spend many hours of my own time making something, I know it won't be widely heard. After all, I deleted my music page and Soundcloud and youtube accounts filled with followers. I won't go running to a label to get it released. I just keep it to myself for my own listening enjoyment and sometimes upload it for a handful of others to enjoy.

Owen P
quote:
"Your mind boggles, because you don't want to face reality. You're not as successful as them because you don't bring as much value as them. It really is as simple as that. You can up your game, accept your position, or pursue something you're better at. But don't fire shots at people who legitimately earned their success. "

If Vibes is so great then why steal someone else's work in full and pass it off as their own? I find it f\/cking bewildering how someone can do this and stand there saying "yep, I made it" knowing full well they nabbed it off a German release vinyl that at the time not many people would have been aware of.

I haven't missed any points, Steve Smeeth is the one who did the Techno Wonderland rip. https://www.discogs.com/artist/789843-Steve-Smeeth

quote:
To people at the time, Vibes had just created a masterpiece that everyone loved and no doubt a lot of artists wanted to work with him. As that's how it works right? Someone makes a "hit", and other artists want to collab with them?

You're confused. Vibes had loads of big tunes and remixes out before Techno Wonderland. Who are all these artists who've supposedly collaborated him on the strength of Techno Wonderland? Name one. It certainly isn't me, I think Techno Wonderland is a load of pap.

quote:
Through collaboration comes learning new techniques and production. If you get in with the right crowd, the possibilities are endless. Still doesn't change the fact someone robbed/cheated their way to it. It isn't "legitimately" earning success, it's stealing.

He was successful long before Techno Wonderland, which is by Steve Smeeth. Try again.

Glad you've found success in your musical endeavours, though perhaps not enough success to keep you from feeling the need to talk baseless shit about those who've enjoyed far more of it than you have.
Smoogie
quote:
Originally posted by Triquatra:
Hard House you say? Is that scene still alive?

Well there is a 'Keeping Hard House alive' Facebook page that is very busy so yes it is still there!
95_was_the_time this new hardhouse then, does it actually sound like the old hard house or is it blended with the awful plastic'y EDM sound?
Smoogie
quote:
this new hardhouse then, does it actually sound like the old hard house or is it blended with the awful plastic'y EDM sound?

No Hard House artist would ever reduce themselves to using any of that EDM garbage. A lot of it is based on the older sound and I have been mixing a lot of it...

Edit I will send you a PM so I don't get into trouble
GrahamC
quote:
Originally posted by Owen P:
quote:
"Your mind boggles, because you don't want to face reality. You're not as successful as them because you don't bring as much value as them. It really is as simple as that. You can up your game, accept your position, or pursue something you're better at. But don't fire shots at people who legitimately earned their success. "

I haven't missed any points, Steve Smeeth is the one who did the Techno Wonderland rip. https://www.discogs.com/artist/789843-Steve-Smeeth

quote:

You're confused. Vibes had loads of big tunes and remixes out before Techno Wonderland. Who are all these artists who've supposedly collaborated him on the strength of Techno Wonderland? Name one. It certainly isn't me, I think Techno Wonderland is a load of pap.

quote:

He was successful long before Techno Wonderland, which is by Steve Smeeth. Try again.

Glad you've found success in your musical endeavours, though perhaps not enough success to keep you from feeling the need to talk baseless shit about those who've enjoyed far more of it than you have.

Its on United Dance 5 as being by Ravers Choice (that's Vibes?)
https://www.discogs.com/Various-United-Dance-Vol-5/master/111449

It's on Bonkers 6 as DJ Vibes - Techno Wonderland (Stompy Remix)
https://www.discogs.com/Dougal-Sy-Vibes-Bonkers-6-Wheel-Crazy/release/41465

I do a search on Vibes, up pops Techno Wonderland ‎(Acetate, 10")
https://www.discogs.com/artist/17388-DJ-Vibes

So you can see why people would think he wrote the track can't you?

I mean, Vibes would have to have submitted the tracklist for Bonkers - was he confused? Did Steve Smeeth get his record licensed and paid for it?
Samination
quote:
quote:

quote:

quote:

The Lack of details about this "Steve Smeeth" is just telling that it's an alias
Samination *stupid double post*
Owen P
quote:

Of course, but it's not accurate. To claim that Vibes built his reputation on that track is ludicrous. It's not even as big as many of his actual tracks.
GrahamC
quote:
quote:

Of course, but it's not accurate. To claim that Vibes built his reputation on that track is ludicrous. It's not even as big as many of his actual tracks.

I'm not looking for a huge barney here but if it's not accurate, surely that'd down to Vibes - put the 'Vibes' search results to one side.

Surely Vibes submitted the track-listings to the publishers which was then passed to designers, legal for clearances etc. for Bonkers & United Dance. How did his name get against that track on at least two different comps from different labels?

Also, I'm not saying he built his reputation on that track, for me it was his mixes on Hardcore Heaven 2, Bonkers 6 and seeing him play out live & more than a handful of his tapes that formed my positive opinion.

I'm just interested in why his name appears against that record on comps when it was well within his power to make sure that didn't happen, the rest of the tracks on those 2 mixes seem to be accurately credited...
LeVzi Vibes got famous for tracks like no more tears or rave is a mystery, and the one he did with dougal, feel free. That's what made him big imo.

I think Steve Smeeth is an alias, and doesn't exist, only ever did teckno wonderland, which is a ****ing awful tune.

I was never a fan of vibes either, like dougal, too cheesey
SparkzMusic Look the thing I'm saying here, yes Vibes had other tracks before so called claims on "Techno Wonderland"..... I even said that previously. The massive point here is.... If someone was hugely talented why would steal a track and call it their own?

The only feasible answer is they weren't that talented to begin with and likely had someone else make the previous tracks, or do most of the work on them.

If Vibes was talented with his previous production, then it wouldn't be hard to "remix" "techno wonderland". As an artist myself, I want to put my own spin on a remix, that's where the fun is right?

If someone has the talents to do so, then good. But it was theft. Vibes claimed it as his own, simple as that. Even the "steve smeeth" alias, which I will say from seeing him live, he had claimed was his alias and he made it.

Many past labels worked with aliases like "Silk cuts" and "Ravers choice", but it was their own remix work. People like Faber and Fade and Bananaman.

It took 2.89 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page