Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Featured Poll
 Hardcore covers
 Printer friendly

Only administrators can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
silver
Admin

Japan
12,548 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2004/03/01 :  08:02:44  Show profile View artist profile Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
Poll question:
Should record labels that release hardcore cover versions license the original hardcore version and include it on the cover version release?
Choices:
Yes
No

View results

Alert moderator
djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2004/03/01 :  09:48:43  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage
I voted No.

I'd actually prefer NEW Hardcore mixes to be included with the release - like AATW have done in the past.

Including old Hardcore mixes might be good for some but I don't remember ever seeing a release of a dance version of an '80s tune with the original included.

May i suggest an alternative?

Silver, why not just buy up the back catologue to some more old Hardcore labels and repress the tunes?

I'd definitely buy to fill the gaps in my collection!

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Underloop
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,895 posts

91 hardcore releases
Underloop has donated money to the site Underloop has attended 5 events
Posted - 2004/03/01 :  10:04:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Underloop's homepage
I'm not voting on this one coz I don't mind either way. It really depends wether teh label thinks it would fit in with their release.

As DMS said, how many original trance tracks have made it onto the hardcore rips?

It would however be nice to see a NEW hardcore mix licenced when a hardcore track is covered.... it might appease (sp?) a few moaning ravers

Matthew aka DJ Underloop

genericrevolution
Average Member

United Kingdom
173 posts
genericrevolution has attended 1 event
Posted - 2004/03/01 :  12:57:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit genericrevolution's homepage
if they have remixed a bootleg or white label I don't see they should have the right to license the original version!

obviously with remixing other labels material its up to them to get permission and copyright on their remix and the original should be looked after by its own label with regards to copyright. (if you see what I mean???)

but what if someone wants to remix a remix??!!?

i.e. artist makes choon on quosh
artist 2 - remixes it on Essential Platinum
artist 3 wants to remix Essential Platinum Version on Evolution??!?!?!

then how do you tackle that....

Underloop
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,895 posts

91 hardcore releases
Posted - 2004/03/02 :  10:53:34  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Underloop's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by genericrevolution:
if they have remixed a bootleg or white label I don't see they should have the right to license the original version!

obviously with remixing other labels material its up to them to get permission and copyright on their remix and the original should be looked after by its own label with regards to copyright. (if you see what I mean???)

but what if someone wants to remix a remix??!!?

i.e. artist makes choon on quosh
artist 2 - remixes it on Essential Platinum
artist 3 wants to remix Essential Platinum Version on Evolution??!?!?!

then how do you tackle that....

Theres 2 sorts of copyright at play here. One is the copyright to the actual recording... the so-called MECHANICAL copyright, and the other is the copyright to the music (ie the actual notes which are played) known as teh PUBLISHING rights.

The writer of the song will ALWAYS own the publishing rights to the song, and the mechanical rights are owned by whoever makes the recording of that song

So, to use your example:

Quosh write and record a song.... lets call it "I Eat Hardcore for my Tea" (RANDOM!!!). Quosh own the publishing rights to that track, and also the mechanical rights to all recordings making up that track.

If Essential Platinum wanted to REMIX (that is make a new mix using the vocals recorded by Quosh) then they would first need permission off Quosh to do the remix, and then they would need to LICENCE the track from Quosh.

Essential Platinum could, however, re-record the vocals themselves, in which case they would own the mechanical rights to that recording. This s known as a COVER. However, depending on the age of the track they may need to get permission off Quosh to cover the track. I think the cut off point is 5 years after the first exploitation (release) of the song. Before that point they need to get permission directly from Quosh as well as arrange royaltie levels. After that point they just need to register their intent with the PRS and pay royalties (No permission needed I think).

If Evolution then come along and want to remix Essential Platinum's track then it depends wether Essential Platinum have REMIXED or COVERED the original.

If they REMIXED it then all copyright is still owned by Quosh, so Evolution would need to approach Quosh and seek permission and licencing in exactly the same manner as Essential Platinum did.

If EP COVERED the original track then Evolution would need permission from Essential Platinum for teh mechanical rights and to licence the track. Depending on the age of the track they would also need permission of Quosh for the publishing (I think). Its starting to get quite complicated now, and the income the track will generate for Evolution is falling and falling (only income would be due to sales - which is very small).

What is more likely would be for Evolution to COVER the original, in the same manner described previously.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, and the above info may be complete BS.... its just my understanding of the system. If you want proper advice then consult a lawyer.

Matthew aka DJ Underloop

silver
Admin

Japan
12,548 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2004/03/02 :  14:59:39  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
^^^ no that is quite correct.

genericrevolution
Average Member

United Kingdom
173 posts
Posted - 2004/03/02 :  15:24:25  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit genericrevolution's homepage
remember the NAUGHTY NAUGHTY series back in early nineties!

I bet they never did the copyrights etc (LOL)

silver
Admin

Japan
12,548 posts

894 hardcore releases
Posted - 2004/03/03 :  03:10:22  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
There are alot of labels that use samples sure, that is hardcore but for the most part it's cleared one way or another.

genericrevolution
Average Member

United Kingdom
173 posts
Posted - 2004/03/03 :  09:20:11  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit genericrevolution's homepage
I have made a few tracks in the past... how do I go about the copyright on them?

they are all original sounds and played by myself and a friend (no samples from other tracks)

Underloop
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,895 posts

91 hardcore releases
Posted - 2004/03/03 :  14:02:10  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Underloop's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by genericrevolution:
I have made a few tracks in the past... how do I go about the copyright on them?

they are all original sounds and played by myself and a friend (no samples from other tracks)

The law in the UK is that as soon as you create something original then you own the copyright automatically.

However, the problem comes when somebody claims they made the same track before you. You need to be able to prove when you made teh track. The traditional way to do it is to send it to yourself recorded delivery in a sealed package, and DO NOT OPEN the package. Some people also datestamp all the seals to show it hasn't been tampered with. Then keep itin a safe place. Maybe lodge it with your solicitor, or in a safety deposit box or whatever.

There are other ways, but this is the simplest, and stands up in a court of law.

The Law is different in the US regarding copyright ownership, and you actually have to register the copyright before you actualy own it. Not sure on contact details for this however.

Matthew aka DJ Underloop

genericrevolution
Average Member

United Kingdom
173 posts
Posted - 2004/03/03 :  14:22:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit genericrevolution's homepage
that is one sound piece of advise (no pun intended)... possibly the best advise I have ever had about making choonz... thanks matthew... I will pass this onto my friend who has made LOADS of choonz but never sent any out in fear of being ripped off etc. (we have heard of this done loads of times - company says no good and then does a cover version next month!)

on a joking side of it... is it as bad as sending yourself a valentines card or using two mobile phones and ringing your other number to pretend you have friends
((((JOKE - I don't do this - {often} ))))

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.41 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page