Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 mixing is eaaaasy
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
StrifeII
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,143 posts
StrifeII is verified hardcore artist
Posted - 2001/12/27 :  17:40:44  Show profile View artist profile Send a private message
right..

I got my turntable and mixer (yes, one turntable ) 3 days ago (its already broken and been replaced once! - thankyou very much wes & tom nevin!) and its BELT DRIVE and i have found mixing a lot easier than i thought. I have already mixed shooting star with somethin else off my stereo perfectly. I dont get it. Everyone's sayin its hard an it aint!!!

------------------------------------------------------------
http://artists2.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/Robbie_Jay/

Alert moderator
DJ Mouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,687 posts
DJ Mouse has attended 1 event
Posted - 2001/12/27 :  18:14:13  Show profile  Send a private message
natural born dj???
i found it hard at first but after a month i cracked it
it's just a case of knowing what you're doing

DJ Mouse In Da House!!!

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Midway_raver
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,032 posts
Midway_raver has attended 2 events
Posted - 2001/12/27 :  20:53:57  Show profile  Send a private message
lol wish i found it as easy as u to start off wit:P Neway keep it up....i got my new assed soudn system for xma sn my mixing has already began to pick up due to the new stereo having alot better bass reproduction bette rbass n treble controls etc:0 I love it it may nto be that easy as u say but all teh same i get such a rush from doin a mix tape listening to it n hearing promising bits:0 i love making my mate shsut up talking n making em her eteh quality:p Nah seriously it is very enjoyable n can't w8 till i get my technics in summer:)

Ant B

silver
Admin

Japan
12,549 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2001/12/28 :  04:02:19  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
The concept is not hard, but now you have to do it over loads of different equipment, loud PA systems, quite PA systems, different types records, different speeds of records, crap records, quite records, loud records plus you have to do it with 1000 people watching and listening to your every move you do and you have to mostly do the entire thing in the dark...

easy? I'll leave that upto you.

----------------------------------
you, me and hardcore forever.

StrifeII
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,143 posts
StrifeII is verified hardcore artist
Posted - 2001/12/28 :  12:11:19  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit StrifeII's homepage
i think its cos the records im spinnin at the moment are all around the same bpm, making it easy to mix cos i dont have to change the pitch a lot.

------------------------------------------------------------
http://artists2.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/Robbie_Jay/

Oli G
Advanced Member

United States
1,817 posts
Oli G is verified hardcore artist Oli G has donated money to the site Oli G has attended 41 events
Posted - 2001/12/28 :  12:40:54  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Oli G's homepage
Silver... i find the hardest thing about mixing is a pa....
there Horrible animals to work with.. some echo lots.. some have excelent monitors set up.. some have no monitors!

some sound great at first then when you realise it sounds crap

but im learning.. slowly learning :)

\o/ <o/ \o> <o> /o\ _o/ \o_

http://www.myspace.com/camelrecords

SorceryKid

United States
32 posts
Posted - 2001/12/28 :  12:49:18  Show profile  Send a private message
Like silver said, mixing over loud PA systems takes a lot of hard work. I've been bedroom DJing for over two years. But I still mess up when I go to clubs and have to sit behind a pair of blaring loudspeakers.

Also, add to that DJing involves much more than playing a few songs. Try mixing for at least one hour -- if not three or four hours non-stop, mostly unprepared, with people coming up to you begging for requests and yelling crazy things in your ear while you are fumbling through a pile of music trying to figure out what to put on next and concentrating on beatmixing it in with less than a minute remaining (only to find out the incoming song has less than a phrase lead-in, so you end up having to cue it and go live on the spot).

I admit that there are times I've tossed on a record or CD and mixed it in perfectly at the last second -- thank goodness! But it's a whole different story doing it for an extended period of time and for a live crowd. Not to mention, DJing is more than just mixing tunes that sound good together. The idea is to tell a story with your entire set. To read the audience, and to create an aural landscape that you know will move them both physically and emotionally at any particular time. That, in itself, is an artform.

Regards,

--Randall

PS. Coming from a background mixing Industrial, I can say that HH is relatively easier to mix (given the similar tempo and solid musical structure). But personally I would still never be able say that mixing is easy... b/c I go back to Industrial and instantly it kicks everything back into pespective. Hehe.

Edited by - sorcerykid on 28 Dec 2001 13:00:15

DJ Mouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,687 posts
DJ Mouse has attended 1 event
Posted - 2001/12/28 :  14:18:11  Show profile  Send a private message
i find it easier to mix over loud systems and in front to ppl,the adrenaline rush makes me mix a hell of a lot better

DJ Mouse In Da House!!!

Brian K
Advanced Member

United States
8,663 posts

528 hardcore releases
Brian K has attended 5 events
Posted - 2001/12/28 :  20:31:18  Show profile  Send a private message
nothing's more fun than trying to mix 220 bpm hardcore with a room that echoes better than the grand canyon =P

"do not dream, you dreamed about me"

Padre

Australia
66 posts
Posted - 2001/12/28 :  21:39:50  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Padre's homepage
hehehe
i liked Silvers answer!! :)
As for mixing being it can be easy, but it also depends on ur gig venue and the ambience of the room.
I was 14 when i started, im 26 now, and the most valuable thing anyone could teach me about mixing was 4,8,16,32
these are the foundations of all music.

For we are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams - Willy Wonka

www.letdabasskick.homestead.com

www.letdabasskick.homestead.com

www.austech.info

SorceryKid

United States
32 posts
Posted - 2001/12/29 :  13:29:23  Show profile  Send a private message
Padre wrote: "As for mixing being it can be easy, but it also depends on ur gig venue and the ambience of the room."

It also depends in great part on the kind of music you are spinning. =) I can mix trance, for example with almost no effort... but shoegazer I've discovered is one of the more difficult of all genres (simply because the "key" of the tunes are often way off and very difficult to match). So knowing 2, 4, 8, 16 beat structures isn't always enuf. Learning the significance of pitch-matching is also an important asset to DJing. =)

Regards

--DJ SorceryKid

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.42 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page