Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 Mixing question
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Atlas
Average Member

United States
185 posts
Posted - 2002/01/15 :  07:24:18  Show profile Send a private message
ive been mixing hardcore for a couple of months now.... i know im a newbie and ive accepted that.it all comes with time and im not hurrying to learn how to be the best dj in the world or nuthin (not yet anyways). the point is i am havin problems.....does it make it easier to mix when the rpm and pitch are exactley the same? because when im tryin to match beats an i start nudgin the pitch i can never get the two beats to stay stable.....so i tried just trying to line up the the songs (like matching breakbeat sequences, or cymbals....shit like that) thats workin alright.....an on my mixer i got kill switches for the 3 frequencies and when i try to use those i just **** up even more.....anyone feel like givin me some advice??.....just another newbie

"I'm the dj, you're not, so shut the fook up and dance."

Alert moderator
DJ STYLUS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,661 posts

21 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/01/15 :  07:29:51  Show profile  Send a private message
Ive been mixing for bout 6 months so i'm newish, When mixing the best thing to do is to not have much playing when the songs are ready to mix, otherwise they will just clash. Also the Rates per min is important. To be honest u cant just pick up 2 records and think of mixin em u have to know what your mixin. The best thin 2 do is study the records so u know the best time to mix is etc. If u need any info just buzzzzzzzzzz.... L8rz

Lets Go Make Believe, Will I Love The Sky, On A Moonless Night, With A Magic Carpet Ride, If You Make Believe, Whatever You Dream, You Will Achieve If You Take A Chance In Make Believe.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
DJ Mouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,687 posts
DJ Mouse has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/01/15 :  09:22:20  Show profile  Send a private message
this may be hard to understand...but works wonders if you get it right.

every newbie falls into a "trap" when trying to mix. they think "ah,this song's too slow so i'll speed up the pitch" then they knock the pitch right up

then they think "wow too much,better slow it right down again" so they do that

this carries on and on and i call it a yoyo effect,because the pitch gets moved up and down like a yoyo.

the trick is, if the song is too slow, then move the record along with your hand until the beats are matched, then move the pitch a little bit. if it's too slow still then carry on doing that,you got maybe 4 minutes of valuable time to find it.

then again,if you go over and the song you're trying to mix is too fast,then slow the record down a bit by touching the platter,using your finger as a brake almost, then slowing the pitch down a little bit.

practice makes perfect,don't give up coz you think you're crap on the decks,those who want to make it,will do. it took me 2 years of practice to get my first gig,good things come to those who wait

--------------------------------------------------
DJ Mouse In Da House!!!
http://clubstation.esmartmusic.com

milo
Advanced Member

Canada
3,391 posts

347 hardcore releases
milo is verified hardcore artist milo has attended 89 events
Posted - 2002/01/15 :  10:56:48  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit milo's homepage
I'm not sure exactly what ur expierience is, but here are a few pointers i go by (i'm not an amazing source thogh =P i've mixed about about 1 year and 4 monthes)

Firstly, learn to seperate the songs, you need to hear one in the air that is playing out and the one in ur headphones, you need to be able to seperate the songs and pick out what is coming from what. That's probably the biggest thing to learn. After taht try concentrating on the groove, usually goes with the bass kick, match those up. if the song is going to fast, i use my fingers on the middle spindle thing to speed it up or slow it down. when change the pitch in accordanec to what your doing. Usually, if you do it right, the pressure your applying or turning on the spindle with coincide with the beat as the record spins, so when you change the pitch it shuold sound the same. after that it's just blending thigns together (that's where those kills and knobs on your mixer come in). Also count to 4, if you have any music theory practice you'll know why. most ahrdcore is all 4/4 time, count with the beats, usually after 4, 8, 16, or 32, something will happen, usually a verse change, a new sound, a fill, whatever =) makes it easy to tell when something is dropping in and when to time things.
i don't know how many times that has been repeated =)

"It's all good..."

DJ Mouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,687 posts
Posted - 2002/01/15 :  12:12:22  Show profile  Send a private message
some ppl have it differently in the headphones tho.
most have the only the record they're mixing with in the cans
but no i'm different,YET AGAIN!! LOL
i have a tiny bit of the song playing in the background through the headphones too

play about with it for a bit,see which suits you best

DJ Mouse In Da House!!!

dj tricks e

United Kingdom
83 posts
Posted - 2002/01/15 :  12:25:15  Show profile  Send a private message
I agree with dj mouse thats what i do and it works for me but the main thing is that you must know your tunes well if not sit down and listen to them until you know them down to the very last beat!

I was walking through the jungle with the mic in me hand I said oh hardcore raver I'm the king of the land. Looked in a tree, what did I see. Every mother ****a on XTC

DJ Mouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,687 posts
Posted - 2002/01/15 :  12:30:58  Show profile  Send a private message
if you do it this way,with both tunes in the cans,then you gotta figure out whether the track you're mixing is too fast or too slow,once you can do that tho it's really easy,takes it's time but keep at it and you'll be fine :)

DJ Mouse In Da House!!!

Edited by - DJ Mouse on 2002/01/15 12:33:01
Atlas
Average Member

United States
185 posts
Posted - 2002/01/16 :  07:14:18  Show profile  Send a private message
yea i usually have the headphones a mix between main and pfl. so both the songs are in there, but when i actually start mixing the songs and moving the cross fader i take my headphones off an listen to the speakers to listen to the mix.....all the vinyl i have i know pretty well now, and im starting to get a little more creative in my mixes......i think its the best using breakbeats to mix songs together.....Apreciate the advice!

skimpin again, eh?

Atlas
Average Member

United States
185 posts
Posted - 2002/01/16 :  07:15:33  Show profile  Send a private message
yea i usually have the headphones a mix between main and pfl. so both the songs are in there, but when i actually start mixing the songs and moving the cross fader i take my headphones off an listen to the speakers to listen to the mix.....all the vinyl i have i know pretty well now, and im starting to get a little more creative in my mixes......i think its the best using breakbeats to mix songs together.....Apreciate the advice!

skimpin again, eh?

milo
Advanced Member

Canada
3,391 posts

347 hardcore releases
milo is verified hardcore artist milo has attended 89 events
Posted - 2002/01/16 :  11:45:45  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit milo's homepage
heh, silly me, i meant the one playing out as in the one playing live over the PA, and the one in ur headphones being alone in the headphones since u need to hear both at once. but only the one you're going to bring in is in my headphones =)

"It's all good..."

dj_squigy
Starting Member

Ireland
1 post
Posted - 2002/01/19 :  03:05:52  Show profile  Send a private message
Well I am new to this Forum Hello Everybody!!
I have been mixing for 3 1/2 years.

When I am mixing i put the pitch on both turntables to +0 and work my way around from there.This is a very handy way for getting you beats matching because you will know the speed of the Vinyl.

If one is faster I push the records on while moving the pitch and when the beats are matching I start again and wait for another breakdown and restart to see if the beats are perfect.

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.62 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page