Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 HHC, old new in the Netherlands
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
collo
Starting Member

Netherlands
5 posts
Posted - 2002/02/28 :  12:15:44  Show profile Send a private message  Visit collo's homepage

Hi People!

I was amazed at the amount of happy hardcore stuff still being made!

In the Netherlands (as you may already know) Happy Hardcore was mega-big around 95-98. But then it died due to overly commercial releases that didn't put quality but rather a gimmick as the primary feature. It's freakin amazing how popular it was in the Netherlands, 50% of all teenagers walked around in sports-cloths, like Australian, Cavello etc. But like I said, it died pretty fast after that period.

Nowadays Hardcore seems to be making a minor comeback, but the more the extreme stuff instead of the happy de peppy style :)

My question is to you guys/girls is, could you please get me up to date on the status of Happy Hardcore in other countries, is seems to be Canada en the USA mostly to me. although I loved seeing the japanese pictures at www.hardcorekitchen.com! Hilarious :)

Also, besides Anabolic Frolic can you name some new names in the scene?

Greetings,

Collo

Alert moderator
Brian K
Advanced Member

United States
8,663 posts

528 hardcore releases
Brian K has attended 5 events
Posted - 2002/02/28 :  14:53:39  Show profile  Send a private message
ugh don't go with fah fah frolic =P

try some of the bigger names ie
slipmat
vibes
brisk
hixxy
sy
luna-c

"As punishment for your desertion, it's company policy to give you the plague."

Alert moderator Go to top of page
DJ-SK8

Canada
269 posts
Posted - 2002/02/28 :  18:05:45  Show profile  Send a private message
Well one of the other resons y hhc didn't servive in holland is becaus gabber killed it. Ppl in holland go for the hard, dark and evil shit, there;s just more of a market for it out there.

pot smoker

WoRd?!!

Voltage

United Kingdom
94 posts
Posted - 2002/03/01 :  02:33:02  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Voltage's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by DJ-SK8:
Well one of the other resons y hhc didn't servive in holland is becaus gabber killed it. Ppl in holland go for the hard, dark and evil shit, there;s just more of a market for it out there.

pot smoker

I disagree with that statement. I am currently in Amsterdam at the moment and have seen that the Hardcore scene is very very small, no where near as big as I was expecting it to be. UK Style Hardcore has not been tested out here for years, and I just have a gut feeling spawned from the fact that dutch pop music already has a happy hardcore edge, that it would do very well here. The current dark Hardcore scene out here is dying compared to what it used to be, many dutch ravers are now afraid to go to the raves because there is always fighting guaranteed, they do not know of our atmospheres at our raves in England. The reason there are bad atmospheres is because of the music, very dark & hard emotions that frequently mention death and death paraphanalia. If this mood was to change, you would see a rebirth in the Dutch Hardcore scene, trust me.. I have been thinking about it for ages, this is the ONLY thing that can turn it around now.

Forward to the New School.

DJ Pathfinder
Advanced Member

Netherlands
1,676 posts

51 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/03/01 :  06:14:00  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Pathfinder's homepage
In holland the most people are folowers if an style is out the most are gonna go to an other scene and also slagging styles then of .

im happy that iam in hardcore from 1991 till now.

You can't see me,because i am the future.

collo
Starting Member

Netherlands
5 posts
Posted - 2002/03/02 :  03:46:06  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit collo's homepage
Hi again.

I'll try to clarify a few things here. First half of the 90's Hardcore/Gabber was an underground movement in the Netherlands. Around '95 the Happy Hardcore craze started to happen. At parties you'd find a mixed bag of older and newer (mostly happy stuff) artists and tracks. A few years down the line the Happy Hardcore sound was being exploited too much, a lot of really bad and cheap cds and tracks were released and it died a fast death around '98-'99.

After that people got into the trance-stuff you see everywhere now. Right now trance is as big as Happy Hardcore was before it. And it'll probably last for a few more years. But I definately see a shift towards a harder sound. Parties like Qlimax from Q-Dance call the music HardStyle, a mix of hardtrance with some hardcore influences, mostly the solid bass sound. Artists like WarmDuscher (DE) and Kai Tracid (DE) and our very own Lady Dana (NL) seem to be at the forefront of this style. Lady Dana is also still a Hardcore Dj.

Talking about Hardcore, after the death of the happy kind it went back underground, so to speak. And now a lot of new artists are embracing the sound again. It will never be as big as it was (I hope!) but you see a lot of people visiting both Trance/Hardstyle and Hardcore parties. Last year ID-T, who got very large during and because of the Hardcore period, organised the first Thunderdome Party since 99 in the Heineken Music Hall. A mix of old artists (BuzzFuzz, Dj Promo) and new ones (CatScan, Manu Malin) perfomed there and it was considered a succesful party.

So in closing, I'd say right now we have a pretty good balance in the Netherlands, enough parties for every sound.

Oh and voltage, I don't think you really got the right idea about the dutch scene. Of course there are fights and problems at some parties, but in general there's a lot of fun to be had. And one more thing, for some reason most hardcore records use profanity and rather dark sounds, but they make me very happy indeed to hear them! :)

Greetings,

Collo

Voltage

United Kingdom
94 posts
Posted - 2002/03/03 :  03:17:30  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Voltage's homepage

Collo, I completely admit that you would have more insight into all of this, as you are a dutch national - respect.

However, I think its reasonable that I can form educated/fair opinions from those I have spoken to who are also into the scene over there (or were)

I have spoken to 6 (not many I know, but chillingly they all gave exactly the same story with the same details). All 6 of these ex dutch hardcore ravers no longer go to hardcore events in Holland because of the bad atmospheres and fights you get at them, a couple said they would try it again sometime in the future. These people are Hardcore, they want a hardcore vibe that they are not getting at the end of the day, so they have ceased attending such events.

quote:
Originally posted by collo:
Hi again.

I'll try to clarify a few things here. First half of the 90's Hardcore/Gabber was an underground movement in the Netherlands. Around '95 the Happy Hardcore craze started to happen. At parties you'd find a mixed bag of older and newer (mostly happy stuff) artists and tracks. A few years down the line the Happy Hardcore sound was being exploited too much, a lot of really bad and cheap cds and tracks were released and it died a fast death around '98-'99.

After that people got into the trance-stuff you see everywhere now. Right now trance is as big as Happy Hardcore was before it. And it'll probably last for a few more years. But I definately see a shift towards a harder sound. Parties like Qlimax from Q-Dance call the music HardStyle, a mix of hardtrance with some hardcore influences, mostly the solid bass sound. Artists like WarmDuscher (DE) and Kai Tracid (DE) and our very own Lady Dana (NL) seem to be at the forefront of this style. Lady Dana is also still a Hardcore Dj.

Talking about Hardcore, after the death of the happy kind it went back underground, so to speak. And now a lot of new artists are embracing the sound again. It will never be as big as it was (I hope!) but you see a lot of people visiting both Trance/Hardstyle and Hardcore parties. Last year ID-T, who got very large during and because of the Hardcore period, organised the first Thunderdome Party since 99 in the Heineken Music Hall. A mix of old artists (BuzzFuzz, Dj Promo) and new ones (CatScan, Manu Malin) perfomed there and it was considered a succesful party.

So in closing, I'd say right now we have a pretty good balance in the Netherlands, enough parties for every sound.

Oh and voltage, I don't think you really got the right idea about the dutch scene. Of course there are fights and problems at some parties, but in general there's a lot of fun to be had. And one more thing, for some reason most hardcore records use profanity and rather dark sounds, but they make me very happy indeed to hear them! :)

Greetings,

Collo

Forward to the New School.

collo
Starting Member

Netherlands
5 posts
Posted - 2002/03/05 :  13:07:39  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit collo's homepage
Hi again!

Well if they said so it's probably true for them ;)

I do know that some of the larger party-organisers started doing hardcore again. Like ID-T (Thunderdome 2001 and 2002 later this year) and Q-Dance (Hardcore Resurrection 2001) and usually they have a pretty strict door-policy, and I haven't seen any fights last Thunderdome.

Let's just hope that fights and stuff don't happen that much anymore!

Trancentral

Netherlands
92 posts
Posted - 2002/03/10 :  23:15:39  Show profile  Send a private message
Collo do you got msn? icq?

DJ CURLY

United Kingdom
457 posts
Posted - 2002/03/12 :  11:13:35  Show profile  Send a private message
I SAY U HAPPYHARDCORE RAVERS FROM HOLLAND NETHERLANDS USA CANADA come TO LIVE IN THE U.K WE DONT mind A COUPLE MORE LEGAL OR ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS IF YOU THOUGHT YOUR SCENE WAS gooD WAIT TILL YOUVE SEEN OURS WE HAVE MAINSTREAM parties almost every week not your average crappy parties either good classic hardcore parties

u.k scene rules all others!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HARDCORE MUSIC COMING ON STRONG
HARDCORE MUSIC ALL NIGHT LONG!!

Trancentral

Netherlands
92 posts
Posted - 2002/03/13 :  09:01:04  Show profile  Send a private message
Holland = the same as The Netherlands m8

DJ CURLY

United Kingdom
457 posts
Posted - 2002/03/13 :  09:05:34  Show profile  Send a private message
and what am i a bloody geologist

HARDCORE MUSIC COMING ON STRONG
HARDCORE MUSIC ALL NIGHT LONG!!

collo
Starting Member

Netherlands
5 posts
Posted - 2002/03/13 :  10:00:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit collo's homepage
Hi there, I'm back :)

I'm interested in hearing about these UK parties.. are there any videos, pictures or reports about these parties? Love to read them!

Greetings,

Collin

Lixx
Advanced Member

United States
1,338 posts

288 hardcore releases
Lixx has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/03/13 :  14:01:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Lixx's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by DREAMSCAPE2002:
and what am i a bloody geologist

What do rocks have to do with this conversation?
-Lixx

Midway_raver
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,032 posts
Midway_raver has attended 2 events
Posted - 2002/03/13 :  14:46:13  Show profile  Send a private message
Mainstream parties everyweek Dreamscape take me too where u live coz im from the midland sn a big event happens once evry 2 monthso n average but there is a lot of hardcore being played agen now

Like a bolt of lightning it's so frightning..Get ur brain now we're igniting

ParkLewis
Starting Member

Germany
2 posts
Posted - 2002/03/15 :  04:43:53  Show profile  Send a private message
my first posting ... yippee

I gotta agree to voltage because it's the same over here in germany.

Once in a while we still get partys but it's become so rare that I can't be bothered to go there anymore.

It seems like the scene has changed as well. On parties you either get people who are so high that they're not even able to talk anymore or you get the absolutely wasted skinheads looking for someone to beat up. And that is at the really few partys that still exist. Don't get me wrong, I surely don't mind alcohol or the other stuff, but it's still not the reason I go to a rave and I reckon violence is the opposite of the happy hardcore vibe.

On the last Love-Parade there was !ONE! hhc stand. That's pretty poor compared to about a million house stands.

All that makes me really sad because I loved happycore from the start and now that I'm old enough to go to the partys =) hhc is nearly dead, at least over here.

Dunno but apparently it's not like that in the UK. I read some reports on USH, it sort of reminds me of the good times back.

I got some friends there, maybe I'll come over and visit the geologist =)

Park out
NO CARRIER

Pardon my bad english

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.51 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page