Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Freeform????
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 3

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Matty K

United Kingdom
48 posts
Posted - 2002/03/10 :  02:21:44  Show profile Send a private message
Im a raver whos been raving since 94/5. I missed out raving from 1999 to late 2000 due to the lack of events available to go to.

Now Im well back into it, and have alot of time for FD etc etc.

BUT, can somebody tell me what all this freeform malarky is all about??

What is this a spin off from. What does it sound like. Tempo. etc etc.

Chances are I have danced my nuts off to it already without realising.

But just for the record, if you havent understood my question WTF is Freeform??????

The Rhythm Station will always be my home

Alert moderator
Oli G
Advanced Member

United States
1,817 posts
Oli G is verified hardcore artist Oli G has donated money to the site Oli G has attended 41 events
Posted - 2002/03/10 :  03:59:42  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Oli G's homepage
If youve danced your ass off to sharkey energy k komplex or posibly kaos... you will have heard freeform

Its abou tth esame tempo as hardcore... posibbly 5bpm slower.. rangin around 175 (not when i play it mind)... its more techy.. more flowing... in fact

http://www.ghalebi.co.uk/oli/files/general.ram

Try that for size :)

"I AMMM THE CREAAAAATOOOOOR"
\o/ <o/ \o> <o> /o\ _o/ \o_

http://www.myspace.com/camelrecords

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Matty K

United Kingdom
48 posts
Posted - 2002/03/10 :  04:32:34  Show profile  Send a private message
Cheers OliGhalebi, as it turns out, I did know what it's all about but obviously didn't realise it. Yes I have danced to Sharkey, Energy etc... But when I was in my peak of raving (97) this was intoduced to us as "Trancecore", with Billy "Daniel" Bunter leading the break-off, closley followed by Sharkey's debut as a DJ. Anyone know why the name change. Or was it just to confuse me.

The Rhythm Station will always be my home

Oli G
Advanced Member

United States
1,817 posts
Oli G is verified hardcore artist Oli G has donated money to the site Oli G has attended 41 events
Posted - 2002/03/10 :  08:10:52  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Oli G's homepage
Yeah i have no idea why it changed.. or weather it did change.. or generaly "what the ****"... but its no known as freeform as far as i know
and i love it
:)

Lixx
Advanced Member

United States
1,338 posts

288 hardcore releases
Lixx has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/03/10 :  15:28:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Lixx's homepage
It's called freeform because trancecore spawns images of cheesy club trance sped up to hardcore speed, and it isn't anything like that. Plus it incorporates a very wide range of influences from goa to techstep so freeform kinda shows that there's no one definition of how it's supposed to sound. It's annoying how many people call the trance rips on blatant beats and raver baby trancecore, yet another reason to differentiate between the genres.
-Lixx

Dj Tripnosis

Canada
418 posts
Dj Tripnosis has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/03/10 :  18:37:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dj Tripnosis's homepage
wait a minute, i always thought Freeform was Scott Brown kinda style, Dj Kaos does Freeform?

-Hi, My name is Auto and i looove to get Blotto !! -

-rejecting your reality and substituting my own

Lixx
Advanced Member

United States
1,338 posts

288 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/03/10 :  21:46:44  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Lixx's homepage
Scott Brown isn't freeform technically, just trancy, though some of his stuff does work well in a freeform set. Kaos's Go Mental Dark stuff can be considered freeform
-Lixx

Dj Tripnosis

Canada
418 posts
Dj Tripnosis has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/03/11 :  09:21:41  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dj Tripnosis's homepage
ah, i see...hmmm so wait, what other songs might you consider to be freeform so i can get a well rounded idea so to say ?

-Hi, My name is Auto and i looove to get Blotto !! -

-rejecting your reality and substituting my own

Oli G
Advanced Member

United States
1,817 posts
Posted - 2002/03/11 :  09:49:59  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Oli G's homepage
Anything on Nu Energy
The newest Bonkers series
take a listen to soundthingys on www.nuenergy.co.uk
Tilz... sharkey. k komplex. kevin energy... helix just some freeform produceeeers
:D

Lixx
Advanced Member

United States
1,338 posts

288 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/03/11 :  11:50:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Lixx's homepage
Well lets see. Everything on the Nu Energy label, everything on Go Mental Dark, everything on the DATA label. I guess 5-11 on the old Bonkers label. Everything on the new Bonkerz label. Everything on Digital Beats. Around release 12 through the latest (33) on Stompin Choonz. Everything on Romantek and Madness & Mayhem. Much of the stuff on FBI and FEDS is freeform as well but I'm not too familiar with those labels. The A side on Faze Freak 2. The B-side on Ultra Violet 3. The B-sides on JAL Premium 3 and 7. The Sharkey Hardlife LP (React LP 131). I guess all the releases on XY2 and FDN can work with freeform, they're just a bit slower than most. The majority of stuff on GBT and RSR is also freeform, though much of it is on the happier, bouncier tip. That should be plenty to give you an idea. Just head of to www.nuenergy.co.uk and check out the samples. Freeform isn't gonna sound plain trancy like Binary Finary rips or stuff like that, it's got a definite darker, more experimental edge to it and once you start really getting into it you'll understand what I'm saying.
-Lixx

Oli G
Advanced Member

United States
1,817 posts
Posted - 2002/03/11 :  12:19:10  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Oli G's homepage
The above is an indication of why i should spend more time writing my messages :D

DJ-SK8

Canada
269 posts
Posted - 2002/03/12 :  17:20:43  Show profile  Send a private message
Ok just to clear a couple thing's up, free form is actually Trancecore, it's what newbies call it. I hate the name free form i don't realy know y thoe. So for my sake on this board let's just call it Trancecore, besides it makes more sence that way caus it's Trance & hardcore in 1.

My god how long have those mice been living your back fat?!?!?!

WoRd?!!

Lixx
Advanced Member

United States
1,338 posts

288 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/03/12 :  17:28:21  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Lixx's homepage
Dag nammit, that's my point. It isn't trance and hardcore. That's what the Raver Baby and Blatant Beats stuff is, that's why if trancecore didn't already refer to freeform, it would make sense to call that stuff trancecore. But a lot of freeform is not trancy at all that's why trancecore is an inaccurate or misleading term to describe the entire genre. Trancecore really causes nothing but confusion, so it would make sense for everyone to call it freeform, or just damn good hardcore ;)
-Lixx

strychnine
Advanced Member

Australia
2,268 posts

92 hardcore releases
strychnine has attended 2 events
Posted - 2002/03/12 :  19:27:20  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit strychnine's homepage
I think the problem is that "freeform" just sounds like one of those bulls**t prefixes that producers put on their work to make out as if it's some groundbreaking new genre, like "nu-", "tech-", "neo-", et al. When people ask, "WTF is freeform?" and someone plays them a sample, odds are they'll get the impression of it being "trancecore", since many of the sounds employed in freeform were borrowed from trance, and when someone refers to it as "trancecore" it'll sorta make sense.

Also, no one genre has undisputed claim to the unadorned "hardcore" tag. HHC, freeform, gabber all have close ties to that word, such that no genre can be simply called "hardcore". I've noticed that some of you UK peoples refer to HHC as such, but that won't work in other areas because of the popularity of the other hardcore genres (of the gabber family).

===============
Don't dream it's over

Tyrant
Average Member

Canada
239 posts
Posted - 2002/03/13 :  17:42:57  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Tyrant's homepage
i usually call it freeform because a lot of the stuff i play doesn't have the typical trancey sounds... i can see why people might not like the term 'freeform' though. some of the earlier stuff could properly be called Trancecore... (Terranova, Back to the Top, etc...) but then there's tracks like The Bastard which take the hardcore sound in a whole new direction.

anyways its just a name i suppose. the music isn't in the notes
:)

History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it -- Sir Winston Churchill

strychnine
Advanced Member

Australia
2,268 posts

92 hardcore releases
strychnine has attended 2 events
Posted - 2002/03/13 :  22:04:33  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit strychnine's homepage
Yeah the early stuff is kinda trancey, but I'm glad that it became harder and more experimental as Lixx described it. It's nice to have the variety in the kinds of sounds and samples used, and I love it when a DJ uses it all in his/her set, playing with the different moods and themes and really using them to work the crowd. Makes a nice switch from the constant upliftingness that you sometimes get with HHC.

===============
Don't dream it's over

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 3 pages long: 1  2  3
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 0.98 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page