Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 legalities
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Annex

Canada
285 posts

38 hardcore releases
Annex has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/03/17 :  19:11:47  Show profile Send a private message
Hey :)

a question occured to me the other day, and i'm sure it's occured to me before.. but.. at the time i didn't read the forum, and didn't have any proper sources to go by..

but i haveta ask... what's the deal with the legalities of being a DJ?

it can't possibly be legal to purchase a record, and then go spin it at a party??

explain????????????????

Potatoe

Alert moderator
Brian K
Advanced Member

United States
8,663 posts

528 hardcore releases
Brian K has attended 5 events
Posted - 2002/03/17 :  19:26:50  Show profile  Send a private message
i really don't think it is, it says right on the record that it is not to be broadcasted or be played @ a public performance. but, i really don't see too many producers getting up there and saying "hey, don't broacast my tune" =P i think when a certain tune gets played it gives the producer a chance in the lime light

"As punishment for your desertion, it's company policy to give you the plague."

Alert moderator Go to top of page
silver
Admin

Japan
12,549 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2002/03/17 :  22:02:51  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
It's not actually legal but no one enforces it for DJ's as then there would be no more DJ's, it's mainly used for radio play... If a track is played on radio then the radio station must pay the artist (or record label)

----------------------------------
you, me and hardcore forever.

Nick of Blaze!
Average Member

United Kingdom
196 posts
Nick of Blaze! is verified hardcore artist
Posted - 2002/03/18 :  01:33:35  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Nick of Blaze!'s homepage
The wording on a recorded work usually says something along the lines of....

"Unauthorised copying, reproduction, hiring, lending, public performance and broadcasting of the recorded work strictly prohibited" etc etc or thereabouts.

It would be extrememly hard to find a reputable, regularly open venue or public radio station that wouldn't have a licence to publicly perform music. Therefore, providing the venue has this licence (in the UK it comes from the Performing Rights Society - PRS), the DJ's and any acts performing are covered. Therefore, the "Unauthorised" part of the statement doesn't count. You are authorised, by the PRS that granted the venue the right to play music in public. Record companies/copyright owners can't stop/sue anyone for playing out, PROVIDING the venue has the CORRECT licence. (There are different types depending on venue size, music played, business type).

Even your local burger bar that plays music while you eat has to be licenced. In the UK you may see the "PRS" logo on a sticker somewhere in the venue/shop to say they are properly licenced. If the business' main business is music, such as a nightclub, then they pay a higher fee than someone who uses music as a background in their clothing shop. It's all relative.

At a firework display that plays music...??? Has to be licenced. On a party bus that plays music?? Has to be licenced.

Kid sister got a cuddly toy that plays "Shooting Star"?? (LOL I wish!) has to be licenced, although in that case it's slightly different, thats a "mechanical" licence. The manufacturer has physically (mechanically) copied a copyright work into hundreds of toys, so they have to pay for every single unit they make a royalty.

Hope that answers it for ya....

Cheers

Nick.

M.C Menace

United Kingdom
123 posts
Posted - 2002/03/18 :  01:38:23  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit M.C Menace's homepage
Its aload of bull about them not wanting you to play there records at partys. They infact wan't you to play them, they won't tell you that of course, but all your doing is promoting there records.

M.C MENACE

http://www.happyhardcoreppl.maketrouble.co.uk/

M.C Menace - were raving from 7 till 11 were ravin in a hardcore heaven

Annex

Canada
285 posts

38 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/03/18 :  17:42:12  Show profile  Send a private message
*nods* that's sorta how i figured it went nick :)
thanx muchos :)

actually my mom may or may not own a lil caffe that.. may or not play some illegal type music *MWAHAHAHA* ah well ;)
*giggles*

but i was just curious... soooooo my guess is basically.. if you start playing top 40, you could get in trouble.. you play some hardcore no one gives a rats ass ;)

i mean... if it wans't meant for mixing etc, why on earth would they even bother releasing it on vinyl :)

danke for all the responses :)
most enlightening

Potatoe

silver
Admin

Japan
12,549 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2002/03/18 :  19:01:58  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
Radio is a different story as the radio station is already paying... so if you are playing the radio in the cafe it's cool...

----------------------------------
you, me and hardcore forever.

Underloop
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,895 posts

91 hardcore releases
Underloop has donated money to the site Underloop has attended 5 events
Posted - 2002/03/19 :  00:11:27  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Underloop's homepage
OK, so we know the deal with licenced clubs/venues....what then is the deal with DJ mix tapes? I know that stuff like the Slammin' tape packs would be considered like any other compilation and have to go through the MCPS and/or the owner of the publishing/copyright, but what about Joe Bloggs putting together mix tapes/CDs together in his bedroom to give to promoters in order to get a gig? Surely this is not legal, yet it pretty much has to happen in order for 90% of the working DJ population to get their first gig at least! Not to do this would be like trying to sell a song to a label without giving them a sampler of the track

Matthew
--------------------------
"Its a Hardcore hit. This is the **** that kicks" - MC Storm

Annex

Canada
285 posts

38 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/04/25 :  09:13:58  Show profile  Send a private message
granted i'm bringing this back from the dead

but...

A: what i wouldn't give for a plush toy that played shooting star!!!!!!!!!!!

B: ok.. so when throwing a party, you get a lisence from your local gov, that basically says, hey your gonna throw a party, of... ____ # of ppl... and play THIS type of music eh.... well that'll be X# of dollars ;)

lol..
i think i'd rather send my money off to the producers or the record labels, lol! but hey!...

ok just trying to figure out how it all works
cuz it's kinda creepy
and if i ever plan to try DJing... or sooner still, throwing a party
i'd hate to havbe it be my first and last ;)

-----------------------
potatoe :)
keep on smiling

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.09 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page