Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Tracks, DJ mixes & release announcements
 DJ Jekyll & MC Leggett - South Coast Showcase ECM
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
AshCoxECP
Starting Member

United Kingdom
15 posts
Posted - 2010/08/20 :  14:31:47  Show profile Send a private message  Visit AshCoxECP's homepage

TRACKLISTING:

1. Jekyll - Uprising
2. Jekyll - One Step Closer
3. DJ Garfield - Ameno
4. Dougal & Gammer - Boing
5. Jonny G Ft. MC Mayhem - Release The Energy
6. Jekyll - System Fault
7. Gammer & Whizzkid - We Are The Vampires
8. FatSteve & Dave Castellano - Bop It
9. Jekyll - The Project
10. Velvet - My Destiny (Jekyll Remix)
11. Jekyll & Trilogy - Daftastyle
12. Jekyll Ft. MC Leggett - Inspiration
13. Hypersonic vs Jorg Schmidt - Doesn't Matter (Dougal & Gammer Remix)
14. Dougal & Gammer - The Tunnel
15. 4 Strings - Take Me Away (Jekyll Remix)
16. Ultrabeat - Pretty Green Eyes (Dave Castellano Remix)
17. Dougal & Gammer - Models Are Ugly
18. Sash - Ecuador (Jekyll's 2009 Bootleg)
19. Dougal & Gammer vs Squad-E - Be Quiet

THE MIX:
http://eastcoast-promotions.co.uk/page41.htm id=size4>

Intro:
Yoooo! After many months of planning and sorting its time to deliver all you music lovers with the very first instalment of EastCoast-Mixes brought to you by the familiar EastCoast-Promotions team! Representing on the first of four episodes in the debut volume is one of the South Coast finest outfits; DJ Jekyll & MC Leggett!!

As part of the new EastCoast-Mixes regime, each volume will consist of a mix and an interview. In some cases much more! This time we have for you a lovely, crisp mix, showcasing some of the hottest South Coast production as well as the standard interview with the artists on this mix keeping you in touch with their movements of late!!

THE MIX:
http://eastcoast-promotions.co.uk/page41.htm id=size4>

Questions:
1) COXEY:
"Right then lads; firstly I would like to thank you both for doing this! It means as much to me as I know it does the ravers reading! I've been looking forward to this for time so lets with out further ado, GET IT UNDER WAY and create history!!"

Leggett:
"I think I can say an even bigger thanks from both Jekyll and myself to you guys for giving us this chance!
With some of the other DJ's and MC's you guys have got lined up, this is massive for us! We're still baby's in the scene ya get me? - yeah, like it's so funny - I'm laughing out loud
But yeah anyway, we've been waiting bareeeeeee time for this bad boy to get done, so yeah let's make babies I mean, erm, history!"

Jekyll:
"Yeah man I agree with Leggett on that one. We really appreciate anybody helping us coz to be honest, you don't get anywhere without a lil push ay?!"

2) COXEY:
"How long have you both been performing together as a duo? And what would you both say makes you click so well together?"

Leggett:
"Strange one this is. I had just started off MCing and I was pure gash back then trust! I had the rhymes, but no where near the confidence or stage presence to make it as an MC

I saw this post on DSI advertising a local illegal night, so I banged up my email address on there tryin' to blag a set up, and as I didn't have a demo at the time I had to do some live MCing over MSN - (strange but true!) to one of Jekyll's mates runnin' the event with him and yeah, they like what they heard.
I turned up at the field and got soooooo mashed I didn't even end up MCing! yeah, like it's so funny - I'm laughing out loud

We then became proper good mates practising every day together. This must of been about July '07, maybe '08 - (Sean help me out mate my memory's gone to pot!) pretty much straight-a-way I think we clicked.

So well, when we're playing well together it comes a lot with being such good mates. I get such a massive buzz out'a seeing Sean smashing up the decks. It just gives me ten times more energy when MCing with him than when I'm banging out sets with other DJs (no disrespect to anyone there)!
Also I think it comes down to me knowing exactly how Sean mixes and vice versa; with him knowing my MCing inside out.

To make it as a successful pair you've pretty much gotta become one when ya hit that stage, and I think we've got that nailed right down to a T!"

Jekyll:
"July '07 sounds about right mate .... Errrrm... Yeah July! I firstly liked the way Leggett let the music breath and not keep on and on and on...

This kinda annoys me, and I like to hear how some of the crowds react to certain mixes that I've worked especially if its a double drop or just one that I love.
I do like working with other MC's but with me and Dave being such good friends as well and him knowing what kinda track choices I'm going to make things
just kinda flow when were on the stage."

3) WEBBO:
"What do you like most about the hardcore seen and why?"

Jekyll:
"Where else can you go from say 7pm till 6am looking like shit and no-one gives a ****?? - Unless you live in a hostel. (Not saying I like to look like shit in public it's just one of the few places you get away with it...)

Obviously the music makes me buzz like no other and people put such effort into sets and production of events it just amazes me. I could just watch the DJ playing and the MC doing their thing all night long and wouldn't get bored!
And the mates; the mates you get from any scene not just hardcore can be some of the best you ever make!"

Leggett:
"First and foremost its gotta be the music init!?

I'm a big fan of most music. I love it all (with a few exceptions - *cough* Dubstep *cough*).
But hardcore really hits the spot for me. No other type of music does this. In a club I could go a whole night not having one drink, or getting messy and still buzz my tits right off all night long. Secondly it's gotta be the attitude of the people (well 99% of 'em anyway!) -Its like a family. I don't mean that in no cheesy way, its generally like everyone gets along. People have the little lovers tiffs but ya aint gotta
worry bout people pulling a blade out, or none of the gun crime ya seeing at garage events lately (a real shame cos I love garage!)
TBF Just about everything is safe as **** ya get me?"

4) COXEY:
"Leading on from my other question With you two continually working so well side by side why is it important for you both to carry on doing so instead doing things solo?"

Leggett:
"For me it's not instead of doing things solo. Jekyll would still love to have Whizzkid MC his set, and I'd still love to kill out a Marc Smith set, but when were working as a team, we can push each other if ya get what I'm saying? We push each other that little bit extra to give something more for the ravers, plus what better feeling can ya get than smashing up a stage with one of ya best mates by ya side?"

Jekyll:
"I can't fault Dave on that answer. Yeah I'd love Gordy to MC for me and Dave to do a headliner set. Solo or as a duo I think equal amounts
of effort should be put in from both parties but being there on centre stage with ya mates ya just cant beat it just like when we played at Hardcore Breakdown in Worthing last year... It was amazing!"

5) WEBBO:
"How do you both prepare yourselves before a set?"

Jekyll:
"I usually like to down a couple of bevvies and have a fag... Then I start to think about what kinda set I'm playing. Most of the time its usually the
same style but with a few twists n turns maybe make an Intro or mash-up at the beginning... Never can tell I can just whack on Now 46 n we can listen to
The Corrs if ya like?"

Leggett:
"I SHIT MYSELF! - yeah, like it's so funny - I'm laughing out loud I'm nervous as **** before I go on the mic no matter what gig it is, but I just try and prepare an intro. After that everything seems to start fitting into place, once the DJ's been introduced and the first set of bars are dropped the nerves just flies off and for that hour it's like BANG, the magic happens as they say yeah, like it's so funny - I'm laughing out loud."

6) COXEY:
"I know there are always going to be artists out on the circuit trying to rep their thing, trying to progress, but unfortunately never seem to make that important break. What is it do you have individually as artists that makes you stand out and appear to be 'one step ahead' of the game?"

Jekyll:
"I think that with me probably spending 'too much time on the computer' as the missus says. Making tracks that are original, trying to get that sound that people are looking for whether its cheesy or bouncy, things are ever changing so production has to follow. I could be sat at my computer for hours and not come up with anything, and then the next minute I've made the basis of a whole track within 10 mins...! It's a crazy way of logic but whatever way we do it, it works!"

Leggett:
"I've never been one to big myself up; I've always kept a level head. Never been asked this one before but ermmmmmmmmm, I think I keep in mind what a MC is there too do. I see too many lads just jump up on stage and spit bars out non stop for a hour, not giving the DJ room to mix, or to let the music do some talking. It aint just about bars, not in hardcore anyway. Plus I think I try to keep my rhymes and style original; I haven't got many of what id call 'ravey rhymes' and I take a lot of inspiration from life and things around me. I like my rhymes to have meaning, something to make ya think as well as something to stomp too. Some people might not agree and might love to reach for the lasers style of rhyming but this is me and I aint changing! It's worked so far!"

7) WEBBO:
"What made you both want to be a performer?"

Jekyll:
"This is kind of a funny story. As a kid I used to work in a kitchen in a function room/club in Waterlooville and my dad was the Manager/Resident DJ.
I saw the way he worked a room and the way he got certain attention and it clicked to me that I'd like a piece of the action but in my own style. But back then it was all about the Hip-Hop and Garage scene so I decided to buy a set of turntables not knowing how shit they were until I got them home and started to mix...

It got until I was like 18 that I realised that it was all about the Dance scene, whether it was Hard Dance, Commercial or House so I started on the Hard House n Trance... Still didn't get very far!

Beyond all that I visited a Hardcore night on South Parade Pier and was captivated.
Never before has a style of music caught me in such a way that it made me change my whole perspective. After a few months and a few hundred quid later, Hardcore was my preference and will buzz the same on every set I do since my first!"

Leggett:
"The music I've always listened to has always been MC based but I never wanted to be a rapper or anything like that. When I hit the raves something just captured me about the MC's. I used to (and still do - it's a great way to learn!) sit at
the back of the arena and watch the way the MC's worked the stage. It was like they had the whole crowd in a trance, it was madness!
You sit down and watch people like Whizzkid, Skatty, Wotsee, and the energy they give off is madness! I guess that just kinda got me hooked!"

8) COXEY:
"Explain what the key ingredients are in a DJ Jekyll and MC Leggett smash-up set?"

Leggett:
"Two CDJ's, a mixer and a mic! - yeah, like it's so funny - I'm laughing out loud Sean ill leave this one to you bruv...."

Jekyll:
"Yeah I think we need some baking soda, some vinegar and some pigeons in this concoction... Oh were not smashing up pigeons? <<<< Better delete that bit then!! Never ****in' know what them activists will do!

Ummmm... Not a lot of preparation goes into our sets anymore apart from intro's and such because we've worked together for so many years we've gotten over the teething stages and getting on with the job in hand... So in all fairness all ya need
is myself and Leggett and at the end you'll have a nice Pigeon Pie!"

9) COXEY:
"This mix which has been exclusively for EastCoast-Mixes has a lot of South Coast productions incorporated in it. Why have you guys gone for such a segregated selection of track-listing? What have the South Coast performers got to offer to promoters in other parts of the country which is obviously going 'un-missed'?

Leggett:
"It's not so much that the South Coast is doing anything different to the rest of the country, its just as you said earlier there's so much talent that doesn't get the chance to shine, so with this mix we thought we would rep our ends and give some of that talent a chance to show what its made of. Plus look around, it's plain to see the South Coast up and coming scene is smashing it left right and centre at the moment!"

Jekyll:
"I agree with Dave, you have the likes of Fatsteve & Dave Castellano (Raverbaby Academy/HTID Weekender/Hardcore Evo, you get the jist!)

They're ripping dance floors apart with their bouncy yet cheesy styleee!

Jonny G (Raving Eye HTID In The Sun 2010 DJ Winner) is an awesome producer. I wouldn't fault the bloke for anything,
Paul EP & Smithy (Fusion/Raverbaby Academy and plenty more) These guys have been working years on the scene whether it has been they're own event or producing
slammers like "Walk On Water" or "All I Wanna Do". Also from that neck of the woods you have Mob, Mizel, Tek-Freq, Wilson There's so much talent out there that NEEDS to be discovered, obviously some of them have broken in with releases and many sets but these are still South Coast Reps and always work hard on the stage whether it be a Cap of 70 or 700!"

COXEY: "Now its time for Webbo's crazed Random Round"[size=4]
[size=6]WEBBO'S RANDOM ROUND[size=6]

1) "If you were to appear on 'come dine with me' what would your starter, main course and desert be?"

Leggett:
"Starters: 6 pack of Cornetto (Strawberry)
Main Course: 6 pack of Cornetto (Strawberry)
Desert: 6 pack of Cornetto (Strawberry)
(Might of guessed I got a slight obsession! yeah, like it's so funny - I'm laughing out loud)"

Jekyll:
"Starter - Burger King cheesy bites
Main Course - KFC Bargain Bucket
Desert - Whatever comes free with the Bucket"

2 ) "Do you think the queen could cut it as a hardcore DJ or MC?"

Leggett:
"I wrote a rhyme about this ages ago, but we won't go there (it's about 700 bars long! yeah, like it's so funny - I'm laughing out loud) but nah I don't think she's got it in her, no offence or nothing, but bigging up ya corgies and butlers aint really what its about now is it?"

Jekyll:
"No... I think she could be a wicked promoter tho! "Get to this event or I'll lock you in the tower!"

3) "If you could rename any land mark building in the UK, what would u call it?"

Jekyll:
"Spinnaker Tower - Big White Cock with a tuma!"

Leggett:
"You've officially got me lost with this one, first time for anything! I'll have to pass....."

COXEY:
"Thank you very much for this lads - Some awesome answers there, and one hell of a lot learnt. Before you go do either of you have anything you would like to say?"

Jekyll:
"Yeah man I wanna thank all of those who have followed us through the past few years and I hope they still will through the next, all those who have had to put up with my noise, and Amber Leaf who have kept me sane so far!

Leggett:
"I'd like to say a MASSIVE thanks to everyone who's shown support from day one, and of course going out to you guys (Coxey and Webbo) for giving us this chance, also going out to each and every raver who downloads the mix, hope ya guys like it! If ya like what ya hearing keep up to date with what were doing, hit us up on the Facebook pages, even if ya don't like it, hit us up let us know why, always looking for constructive criticism! - ENJOY THE MIX!!!!"

Thanks also to all you reading this, those who have downloaded, and listened. Feedback I imagine is very much welcome. Hope you all have enjoyed it, and don't forget to get checking out all the links provided

To keep in choon with more from EastCoast-Promotions and the mix series' log onto our Facebook Page or check out our internet site.

IMPORTANT LINKS:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/MC-Leggett/77886926162 - MC Leggett Facebook Fan Page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/DJ-Jekyll/95516725288?ref=ts - DJ Jekyll Personal Fan Page

THE MIX:
[size=4]http://eastcoast-promotions.co.uk/page41.htm id=size4>

Many Thanks
Ash Cox & Webbo
EastCoast-Promotions // EastCoast-Promotions Artist Management //
EastCoast-Mixes // SubBase Events
Tel: 07787870798
Mail:
AshCox@EastCoast-Promotions.co.uk
Web: http://www.EastCoast-Promotions.co.uk

Alert moderator

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 0.45 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page