Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 Anyone here using tracker software?
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 3

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Hardcore James
Starting Member

United Kingdom
13 posts
Posted - 2012/11/08 :  10:54:58  Show profile Send a private message
Just thought I would ask to see if anyone is making music using something like Renoise, OpenMPT or even an old Amiga computer!?

I myself use OpenMPT and always have done since the days it was called Modplug Tracker - I find it well suited to the music I make which features lots of chopped up breakbeats and stab samples.

So anyone? :D

Alert moderator
Audio Warfare
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,046 posts
Audio Warfare has attended 19 events
Posted - 2012/11/08 :  13:04:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Audio Warfare's homepage
Nope haha. Have you tried a more recent DAW?

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2012/11/08 :  13:25:02  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
There will no doubt be some people who use that stuff purely for the sake of being retro but apart from that modern sequencers are far too easily accessible and cheap for people to consider it an option generally. Although, ironically, the music that people were making with those trackers is probably on average considerably better than what people produce now even though they are no longer limited.

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2012/11/08 13:26:32
Hardcore James
Starting Member

United Kingdom
13 posts
Posted - 2012/11/08 :  21:20:37  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hardcore James's homepage
The tune I am writing today has 5 vsti synths and about 25-30 vst effects, nothing retro about that. I have tried many "more modern" DAWs but I have to say, it's just not possible to work as quickly and efficiently in them as I can in a tracker. It's not everyone thing though but they are hardly retro when software like OpenMPT re-noise support all the same technologies as the average DAW.

On the other hand, I did once make a 4 channel Mike Slammer and Red Alert style 8bit hardcore tune which was very retro!

danielseven

Italy
350 posts
danielseven has attended 4 events
Posted - 2012/11/08 :  21:24:35  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit danielseven's homepage
I don't actually use it for doing hardcore but yes, sometimes I do use tracking software like the ones you mentioned mate.

I've started doing tunes using ScreamTracker 3 back in the 2003.

Edited by - danielseven on 2012/11/08 21:25:55
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,083 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2012/11/08 :  22:34:20  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
still love module tracks. I am trying to sipher throu the Modarchieve's archive. So far Im still on A letter tracks :P

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

danielseven

Italy
350 posts
danielseven has attended 4 events
Posted - 2012/11/08 :  23:21:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit danielseven's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
still love module tracks. I am trying to sipher throu the Modarchieve's archive. So far Im still on A letter tracks :P

Man if you need some help in finding some good tracks you can count on me, I were listening only module music from 2003 to 2006 so I know lots of good ones :)

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,083 posts

195 hardcore releases
Posted - 2012/11/09 :  00:07:34  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by danielseven:
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:

Man if you need some help in finding some good tracks you can count on me, I were listening only module music from 2003 to 2006 so I know lots of good ones :)

I've been listening to mod tracks since 1999, so you might have a have heard more than you :P

Audio Warfare
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,046 posts
Audio Warfare has attended 19 events
Posted - 2012/11/09 :  10:04:34  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Audio Warfare's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Hardcore James:
The tune I am writing today has 5 vsti synths

I sometimes use more than that for one sound. ;) Quite surprised to hear that trackers have still moved on a bit from the old days though, that's pretty cool.

Are you James Dub or someone else entirely?

Edited by - Audio Warfare on 2012/11/09 10:15:38
Hardcore James
Starting Member

United Kingdom
13 posts
Posted - 2012/11/09 :  13:43:27  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hardcore James's homepage
I'm not James Dub, no.

Indeed you can use tracker software pretty much in the same way as any other average DAW, just think of it as a different way of entering musical note data. I am fond of them just simply because I can do things in them so much faster than its possible to do in a traditional MIDI sequencer and my tunes feature lots of subtle tweaks to each bar so for me I find it way less frustrating than a piano roll and gives the same results.

I have some tunes on soundcloud.com/hardcore-james if you are curious - plus on some other labels too, or youtube user name Ravey James :D

In relation to modarchive, I must admit I never really got into that a great deal nor the whole tracking scene despite using Modplug all these years, care to recommend me anything great I should check out?

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,083 posts

195 hardcore releases
Posted - 2012/11/09 :  15:12:38  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
What tracker usually do good with is Gabber. Alot of the hardcore tracks I've listened so far when it comes to mod tracks has always been the more gabbier stuff.

But to create the oldskool feel to stuff, you really need some old software :)

DJ_FunDaBounce
Advanced Member

Colombia
1,914 posts
Posted - 2012/11/10 :  01:55:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ_FunDaBounce's homepage
wow
listening to a mix of yours on youtube. you've really got that 90's sound down pat. good job. no, not good. GREAT is more like it! effin' lovin' it.

followin on the soundcloud! ;)

one question: what do you use to mixdown in terms of reference speakers?

https://soundcloud.com/fundabouncedj
https://brightspeedrecordings.bandcamp.com

Every Saturday night from 10-12 (Bogota/Colombia time)
https://www.twitch.tv/fundabouncedj

Hardcore James
Starting Member

United Kingdom
13 posts
Posted - 2012/11/10 :  10:51:32  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hardcore James's homepage
Thanks, FunDaBounce!

I am glad you like it and as you know I checked out a couple of your tracks yesterday, yours are awesome and IMO better produced technically than mine. Speaking of which, I do not actually yet own any monitors, I just use the crappy HI-FI connected to my main desktop computer or even just standard headphones. I can hear a lot wrong with my mixdowns but if they sound okay to other people it will be down to choosing sounds that work in the first place more than anything else.

Thank you for your feedback, by the way which mix did you listen too?

Samination, you are right about the Gabber - most of the hardcore mod tunes I have heard have been of that style! :D

DJ_FunDaBounce
Advanced Member

Colombia
1,914 posts
Posted - 2012/11/10 :  13:09:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ_FunDaBounce's homepage
"They don't make them how they used to" I believe was the mix.

Your mixdowns are pretty consistent, btw, which is why I ask.

https://soundcloud.com/fundabouncedj
https://brightspeedrecordings.bandcamp.com

Every Saturday night from 10-12 (Bogota/Colombia time)
https://www.twitch.tv/fundabouncedj

Hardcore James
Starting Member

United Kingdom
13 posts
Posted - 2012/11/10 :  16:09:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hardcore James's homepage
Thanks, glad you enjoyed the mix, its a giood one that aint it! :D

I guess because I have been doing this for about 8 or 9 years it's just subliminal if I achieve any sense of consistency. The mixdown and mastering side of things does not excite me nearly as much as the composing part and I pay it very little attention. I think 90s music maybe allows you a certain degree of ruff and readiness that's harder to pull of with today's music sounding very clean.

Either than or I'm just talented as hell :D lol

By the way, I am very soon making almost all of those tunes plus more available for download once I get round to uploading them all, so if any of the tunes take your fancy, keep an eye on youtube or soundcloud!

We've gone off topic here talking about how great I am lol - anyone else for any tidbits about trackers? :D

Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2012/11/21 :  00:37:43  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage
Trackers are still popular in breakcore, especially Renoise, but I haven't really heard of anyone using them for anything else. I'm vaguely considering having a look in because I've been working on some breakcore stuff lately but I probably won't end up doing it.

FL piano roll is a bitch for arranging breaks.

Edited by - Elliott on 2012/11/21 00:40:03

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 3 pages long: 1  2  3
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.98 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page