Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Web site suggestions & site problems
 Cannot reply to some topics due to page speed
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Rodz90
Average Member

United Kingdom
208 posts
Posted - 2016/01/30 :  09:17:07  Show profile Send a private message
This topic here:
http://www.happyhardcore.com/forums/post.asp?ARCHIVE=&method=Reply&topic_id=65508&FORUM_ID=39&CAT_ID=7&Forum_Title=Music+discussion+-+hardcore&Topic_Title=%2A%2AThe+Forthcoming+%26+Upfront+Hardcore+Thread%2A%2A

On a 2014 Macbook Pro with an extremely high spec i can't post a reply, as its so slow.

Looks like loading all the responses to the thread causes a slow load. My suggestion is to limit the result size to the last 10 responses for the thread when replying. That gives you less load from the database and a page speed up.

If that is not the problem analyse with a web debugging proxy, from a quick look it seems that theres a lot of slowdown from the amount of embedded content getting pulled in. In either case limiting the results to the most recent ten would be a relevant fix.

Alert moderator
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,064 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2016/01/30 :  09:25:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
It's nothing new, it's all those youtube/soundcloud/mixcloud embeds that wants to load.

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Alert moderator Go to top of page
silver
Admin

Japan
12,545 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2016/01/31 :  02:54:55  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
Not our server, its all the embed, I guess I perhaps should remove embed in replies?

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,064 posts

195 hardcore releases
Posted - 2016/01/31 :  08:11:29  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by silver:
Not our server, its all the embed, I guess I perhaps should remove embed in replies?

unless you wanna go Rodz90 way. If you did, maybe the original post should show aswell (ie the first post and then the last 10 replies)

Rodz90
Average Member

United Kingdom
208 posts
Posted - 2016/01/31 :  14:43:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Rodz90's homepage
quote:

Is that solution more complex then limiting the number of posts?

With my solution all you have to do is a LIMIT command on whatever database query your doing to get the results, and if its a stored procedure you don't even have to redeploy.

Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,511 posts
Posted - 2016/01/31 :  14:48:00  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Guest's homepage
get a ramdisk and use it for your browser cache, you whole internet will be 10,000 times faster, at 30gbs +

if you have firefox, disable memory caching as well in http://about:config then you browser cache gets full and won`t swap over to using your memory up

only need 200mb ramdisk tops for game sites

also have nano second file lookup instead of milli seconds

Edited by - Guest on 2016/01/31 14:55:11
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,064 posts

195 hardcore releases
Posted - 2016/01/31 :  17:25:29  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
you as a user shouldn't have to do that. Why is FLASH always the scapegoat for browser-developers laziness? They have know for years how hard it so flash to be optimized

Rodz90
Average Member

United Kingdom
208 posts
Posted - 2016/01/31 :  19:26:11  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Rodz90's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
you as a user shouldn't have to do that. Why is FLASH always the scapegoat for browser-developers laziness? They have know for years how hard it so flash to be optimized

Those embeds are a mixture of HTML and Javascript, most companies have moved away from flash for their embeddable controls.

Try to ignore most things that Guest says. His suggestion is beyond impractical for most people, and is not a real solution to the problem.

silver
Admin

Japan
12,545 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2016/02/01 :  06:28:22  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
We don't embed flash, it's all HTML5 but when there is a shit ton of text and other things to render (like downloading the MP3's for soundcloud) or downloading the MP4's for video your browser is just chugging away... rendering HTML is not the job of the server, it's the job of the browser.

So the only solution is to nuke embeds on reply preview (or click to view or something) because if someone in decided to post 200 embed as the first topic the page wouldn't load for anyone. It's no stress on our servers what-so-ever just the user's OS and bandwidth.

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,064 posts

195 hardcore releases
Posted - 2016/02/01 :  07:08:34  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
quote:
We don't embed flash, it's all HTML5 but when there is a shit ton of text and other things to render (like downloading the MP3's for soundcloud) or downloading the MP4's for video your browser is just chugging away... rendering HTML is not the job of the server, it's the job of the browser.

So the only solution is to nuke embeds on reply preview (or click to view or something) because if someone in decided to post 200 embed as the first topic the page wouldn't load for anyone. It's no stress on our servers what-so-ever just the user's OS and bandwidth.

mixcloud's still FLASH, but its something people barely use :P

silver
Admin

Japan
12,545 posts

894 hardcore releases
Posted - 2016/02/01 :  07:57:17  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
ah you might be right on mixcloud, I could change it if they offered it (need to check) but that isn't the issue regarding this topic

kotu

United Kingdom
401 posts
Posted - 2016/06/03 :  23:34:01  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit kotu's homepage
lol

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.56 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page