Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 First turntable
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
trippnface
Advanced Member

United States
1,654 posts
trippnface has attended 21 events
Posted - 2018/03/27 :  23:04:10  Show profile Send a private message
Yes yes, har har and such.

I have zero ****ing clue how to make this stuff function properly, so I figured who better to ask than hhc.com.

I have a fat pile of kniteforce records now and figured I needed a way to play them, so i swooped a 1200 mk2 off ebay.

Everything appears to be in working order but i need some help.

1) Can somone show me the best compatible needle/ cartridge for 1200 mk2, and where to get?

2) The turntable i got came with needle/ cartridge, but I don't know brand or weight, so i cant properly adjust the counter weight on the back without fear of fkn something up.

3) does the headpiece weight also need to be factored in with the needle/ cart?

lol. Bear with me.

Alert moderator
Impulse_Response
Advanced Member

United States
724 posts
Impulse_Response has attended 1 event
Posted - 2018/03/28 :  03:43:11  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Impulse_Response's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by trippnface:
Yes yes, har har and such.

I have zero ****ing clue how to make this stuff function properly, so I figured who better to ask than hhc.com.

I have a fat pile of kniteforce records now and figured I needed a way to play them, so i swooped a 1200 mk2 off ebay.

Everything appears to be in working order but i need some help.

1) Can somone show me the best compatible needle/ cartridge for 1200 mk2, and where to get?

2) The turntable i got came with needle/ cartridge, but I don't know brand or weight, so i cant properly adjust the counter weight on the back without fear of fkn something up.

3) does the headpiece weight also need to be factored in with the needle/ cart?

lol. Bear with me.

I can try to answer these.

1) I don't think there is a best compatible cartridge. It depends on your application. Some are designed for regular playback (listening) and others for DJs/scratching, etc. You can get cartridges just about anywhere, including Amazon and Guitar Center. In my experience, the $20 intro cartridges sound just about the same as others like the common AT95E that costs $50.

The only compatibility issue to consider is if the cartridge is moving magnet or moving coil. Moving coil seems to be more of an audiophile thing, and moving magnet is more common. Check the turntable manual or your stereo/phono preamp to see what you need.

2) Most I have seen are good with a tracking force of 2-3 grams. If you don't know for sure, probably best to buy a new one.

3) No, not if you're talking about tracking force. This is handled when you balance the tonearm by adjusting the counterweight. You adjust the counterweight so it balances level, and then you set the counterweight to the tracking force you want. Have a look at the turntable manual for complete instructions.

Some people would argue you need to select a headshell with the right weight so it matches the tonearm and resonates at the right frequency. I have no idea if this is true or if it is audiophile junk, but it supposedly affects the bass response.

There are other setup details to look into if you are interested, such as getting the cartridge in the right location for the desired azimuth.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
trippnface
Advanced Member

United States
1,654 posts
Posted - 2018/03/28 :  15:52:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit trippnface's homepage
thanks bro!

trippnface
Advanced Member

United States
1,654 posts
Posted - 2018/03/30 :  16:58:57  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit trippnface's homepage
yo I need more help >.>

Recently bought a pair of HS8 speakers, and they only have XLR & TRS inputs.

I am attempting to hook these up to my turntable, which needs to be plugged into a phono pre amp?

I have a few questions.

1) Are the RCA Cables coming from my turntable ( into pre phono pre amp) preventing / making useless the XLR balenced connection from my speakers, Even if the cable from pre phono to speaker is XLR?

Can anybody reccomend a pre phono box that even takes XLR, I am having serious trouble finding one?

2) I am just trying to listen to my vinyl, but would a mixer replace a phono pre amp?

Is the phono pre amp irrelevent?

Impulse_Response
Advanced Member

United States
724 posts
Impulse_Response has attended 1 event
Posted - 2018/03/30 :  21:37:44  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Impulse_Response's homepage
RCA outputs are not balanced. You probably won't find a balanced phono preamp unless it's an esoteric audiophile product that costs $7000. You could use an adapter to convert it to a balanced signal, but it probably isn't worth the money unless you actually have noise issues.

According to the manual, the HS8s can accept an unbalanced signal through the TRS input. All you need to do is get a phone preamp (~$50 at Guitar Center or Best Buy) and connect that to the TRS input on the monitors. You can buy cables that have RCA on one end and TS on the other. The signal chain will be:

Turntable > Standalone Phone Preamp > cables to separate monitors

The phone preamp is essential. A special EQ curve is applied during vinyl manufacturing, which drastically cuts bass and boosts the highs. If you try to play the direct output without a phono preamp, it will be way too low of a signal and the EQ will be completely wrong. See here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_equalization

A mixer in general will not replace a phone preamp. One exception is DJ mixers, which usually have them built in. It probably makes more sense to buy a standalone phono preamp, though.

Personally, I think the right thing is for Knightforce to release everything digitally instead of locking things in to an outdated format that provides inferior sound quality.

trippnface
Advanced Member

United States
1,654 posts
Posted - 2018/03/31 :  16:59:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit trippnface's homepage
many thanks man <3, this has been a serious mind****.

i will update back soon, i think i have this about dialed in

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 0.86 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page