Total online 1269
 Radio listeners 164+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Why was 95, 96 the biggest ever era for Hardcore?
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
rafferty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
621 posts
Posted - 2023/10/20 :  08:42:32  Show profile Send a private message
You look back at those years and no other era comes even remotely close. You had lots of tv dance shows covering it. Kids in school were listening to it in large numbers. There was lots of Hardcore video clips on MTV. Parties were getting huge attendances. CDs and records were selling really well with constant new releases.
Like the UK Hardcore thing in the 2000s would have lucky to have grown to a quarter of the popularity of the mid 90s Hardcore scene and that is probably being generous.
You just look at discogs, there were over 5000 Happy Hardcore releases in just 1995 alone. Every year after 2000 was around a quarter or less of that.

Candy & anime was just a faze & a total embarrassment that everyone mocks and laughs at now.

Alert moderator

Edited by - rafferty on 2023/10/20 10:22:37
warped_candykid
Advanced Member

United States
3,938 posts
warped_candykid has attended 5 events
Posted - 2023/10/21 :  02:27:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit warped_candykid's homepage
My guess would be it was simply because it was new. It was also a sound of its own (for the time being); so you weren't going to turn on your radio or tv to just hear it(unless it was pirate radio); you had to buy the CDs/Vinyl, and I think that authentic piece added more to its value.

Also, I think more people were truly into the music and wanted to experience it/be part of it.

Let's use Hullabaloo for example (yes, I know that came after 96, but I'm using it for a point): Ravers went out of their way to sew/make outfits, make candy bracelets, create crazy costumes...they wanted to create and to be part of the experience, not just show up to say "Hey, I'm at Hullabaloo." ----- There was a sub culture behind the music to add to the flare. And I'm sure Europe/The UK had it's own sub culture of fashion and trend back then as well that symbolized the music (Gabba Babies anyone?)

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Edited by - warped_candykid on 2023/10/21 02:28:19
Smoogie
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,480 posts
Posted - 2023/10/23 :  19:33:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Smoogie's homepage
There have been a lot of rival genres that have come out since. In the 2000s Hardcore was already competing with other big genres and ended up taking influence from them hence the Trancecore/ Freeform side of things. I think that the Dutch focusing more on Gabber and no 'Happy' releases might have not helped as that was one country less producing the happier material. The UK also had the Bounce/Donk thing as well which was a competitor although mostly that got airplay in the North West and not much elsewhere.

DJ A.K.
Average Member

United Kingdom
217 posts
Posted - 2023/10/24 :  20:54:32  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ A.K.'s homepage
Many countries scenes converged and started to produce a similar version of hardcore (happy hardcore/bouncy techno) for a brief period, England, Scotland, Holland, Italy, Germany, Spain etc, it was also still (reasonably) credible and still had enough underground appeal, sheer number of releases meant there was more than enough quality tracks around.

Edited by - DJ A.K. on 2023/10/24 20:55:40
rafferty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
621 posts
Posted - 2023/11/10 :  23:41:04  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit rafferty's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by warped_candykid:
My guess would be it was simply because it was new. It was also a sound of its own (for the time being); so you weren't going to turn on your radio or tv to just hear it(unless it was pirate radio); you had to buy the CDs/Vinyl, and I think that authentic piece added more to its value.

Also, I think more people were truly into the music and wanted to experience it/be part of it.

Let's use Hullabaloo for example (yes, I know that came after 96, but I'm using it for a point): Ravers went out of their way to sew/make outfits, make candy bracelets, create crazy costumes...they wanted to create and to be part of the experience, not just show up to say "Hey, I'm at Hullabaloo." ----- There was a sub culture behind the music to add to the flare. And I'm sure Europe/The UK had it's own sub culture of fashion and trend back then as well that symbolized the music (Gabba Babies anyone?)

Yeah I don't think it will be ever matched from the mid 90s.. Lack of creativity was another big factor when I think about it. After 2000 production got pretty lazy and not as good or anywhere near as frequent.
It has only started to get creative again in the last few years.

I always have a right chuckle when I look a Hullaballo. Terrible name for a Hardcore Party. And the events looked so cringe. The UK & Netherlands had better events at local halls than that.

Probably should have borrowed a promoter event name from here like Slammin Vinyl, Hardcore Heaven, Fusion or United Dance if Hullaballoo is all they could come up with.

Candy & anime was just a faze & a total embarrassment that everyone mocks and laughs at now.

Edited by - rafferty on 2023/11/11 00:19:04
rafferty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
621 posts
Posted - 2023/11/10 :  23:56:46  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit rafferty's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Smoogie:
There have been a lot of rival genres that have come out since. In the 2000s Hardcore was already competing with other big genres and ended up taking influence from them hence the Trancecore/ Freeform side of things. I think that the Dutch focusing more on Gabber and no 'Happy' releases might have not helped as that was one country less producing the happier material. The UK also had the Bounce/Donk thing as well which was a competitor although mostly that got airplay in the North West and not much elsewhere.

Yeah there were half the genres then as now.

rafferty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
621 posts
Posted - 2023/11/10 :  23:58:27  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit rafferty's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by DJ A.K.:
Many countries scenes converged and started to produce a similar version of hardcore (happy hardcore/bouncy techno) for a brief period, England, Scotland, Holland, Italy, Germany, Spain etc, it was also still (reasonably) credible and still had enough underground appeal, sheer number of releases meant there was more than enough quality tracks around.

When the UK & Holland were both producing lots of Happy Hardcore. That definitely was when the scene was at it's best.

warped_candykid
Advanced Member

United States
3,938 posts
Posted - 2023/11/11 :  04:39:06  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit warped_candykid's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by rafferty:
quote:

Yeah I don't think it will be ever matched from the mid 90s.. Lack of creativity was another big factor when I think about it. After 2000 production got pretty lazy and not as good or anywhere near as frequent.

I always have a right chuckle when I look a Hullaballo. Terrible name for a Hardcore Party. And the events looked so cringe. The UK & Netherlands had better events at local halls than that.

Probably should have borrowed a promoter event name from here like Slammin Vinyl, Hardcore Heaven, Fusion or United Dance if Hullaballoo is all they could come up with.

We really need to get you to a doctor to get that sand out of your vagina.

Edited by - warped_candykid on 2023/11/11 04:41:52
rafferty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
621 posts
Posted - 2023/12/03 :  06:37:20  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit rafferty's homepage
quote:
quote:
quote:

We really need to get you to a doctor to get that sand out of your vagina.

Haha this is coming from a guy that dresses like he's at a pre-school party and probably does not know what gender he is like most male "candy" fools.
Oh wait. That's non binary for you. Oops, I miss gendered you. 😂😂😂

Edited by - rafferty on 2023/12/03 06:46:45
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,078 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2023/12/03 :  10:16:56  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
Someone's mad that Hullaballo was bigger than most English raves

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

warped_candykid
Advanced Member

United States
3,938 posts
Posted - 2023/12/05 :  21:28:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit warped_candykid's homepage
quote:

Haha this is coming from a guy that dresses like he's at a pre-school party and probably does not know what gender he is like most male "candy" fools.
Oh wait. That's non binary for you. Oops, I miss gendered you. 😂😂😂

That sand's really stuck in there, isn't it? Here: https://www.topdoctors.co.uk/doctor/obstetrics-gynaecology/

Tekk
Starting Member

United States
14 posts
Posted - 2023/12/08 :  23:46:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Tekk's homepage
I can see 95/96 for dutch hardcore but late 90's butting up into the 2000's were peak for the UK imo.

Compulsion

United States
253 posts
Compulsion is verified hardcore artist Compulsion has attended 4 events
Posted - 2023/12/16 :  01:16:14  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Compulsion's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Tekk:
I can see 95/96 for dutch hardcore but late 90's butting up into the 2000's were peak for the UK imo.

I concur.

Sulphurik
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
954 posts
Posted - 2024/01/01 :  17:37:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Sulphurik's homepage
quote:

Was that not when the UK hardcore scene took a nosedive? Around 2000, the scene dropped in popularity and was very quiet but then it did pick up again in 2002 onwards to at least 2010.

warped_candykid
Advanced Member

United States
3,938 posts
Posted - 2024/01/02 :  00:57:10  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit warped_candykid's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Sulphurik:
quote:

Was that not when the UK hardcore scene took a nosedive? Around 2000, the scene dropped in popularity and was very quiet but then it did pick up again in 2002 onwards to at least 2010.

That era still has it's gems. There was a 3 year "dark period" between Bonkers 7 & Bonkers 8, but there were still some decent tunes being turned out. Check out Happy2bHardcore Volumes 5, 6, & 7 to hear some of the cheesier stuff that was still coming out during that span.

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,078 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2024/01/02 :  10:41:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
H2bH7 came out after Bonkers 8 I believe.

Also, H2bH "ended" after the 6th release. #NotMyH2bH

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 2.16 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page