Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 ONLY Hardware?
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Rotis

Sweden
129 posts
Posted - 2001/03/19 :  08:46:20  Show profile Send a private message  Visit Rotis's homepage
Anyone know if there's any HH producer that's producing using ONLY Hardware? (I mean like the trance/electorniclegends did/are doing) Kinda hard to explain if you don't know what I'm talking about but like NO pro-sequensers and stuff.. nothing like that!

Hardcore will never die!

Alert moderator
silver
Admin

Japan
12,549 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2001/03/19 :  11:02:24  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
You mean like mixing the entire thing live? I don't think any tracks released are done live, they just would not sound right.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
phosphor

Canada
44 posts
phosphor is verified hardcore artist phosphor has attended 1 event
Posted - 2001/03/21 :  18:02:01  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit phosphor's homepage
Producign only with hardware?!!? no computer bassed sequencing?!?!

OMG .. now _that's_ hardcore ;)

i don't know anyone who is doing happy hardcore .. some local producers here in the 'peg are all hardware based ... but they're doing drum and bass (RCola), hardcore/noize (TLWT), another is doing well .. werird funky breaks/hardcore (Not 1/2) ... ya .. we got some rather daring people ...

i prefer a computer based sequencer and wouldn't dream of anything different. But hats off to the pattern looping hardwear headz!

Dan aka phosphor / phaXs =)

Rotis

Sweden
129 posts
Posted - 2001/03/22 :  08:19:03  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Rotis's homepage
Cool. =) And yeah... for me it seems impossible to make ANYTHING good with only hardware.. Escpecially happy hardcore. Well thnx.. was just wondering.

Hardcore will never die!

silver
Admin

Japan
12,549 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2001/03/22 :  20:38:04  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
It's not impossible, you just would have to be real good at it. Image doing the bassline and high hats at 170BPM, thats a workout.

mholloway
Starting Member

United States
3 posts
Posted - 2001/03/23 :  01:11:41  Show profile  Send a private message
Check out this little beast!

http://www.kawaius.com/q80exe.htm

It's not impossible. I know a guy using an Akai MPC2000XL for sequencing and it works fine.. I've used a Kawai Q80EXe which is like an Alesis MMT8 on steroids. The Kawai sells for $300 new in the States.. It's quick, simple, straight to the point sequencing and has multiple midi outs (32 channels) total. The only thing that is hard is changing velocity for progressive drum rolls to get louder, but that's more of a trance thing..

The Alesis MMT8 and Kawai Q80 series are still used heavily by House producers and some trance artists, as well as popular artists like Moby and Orbital, if that really means anything to you..

The Pros of the Q80: I can lay down the basics of a tune REAL fast! Can save songs as Midi 1 format on its floppy drive, which uses standard PC dos format. Sequencing doesn't get any easier than this!! You will seriously be in heaven with this thing. If you find a used one, get it! It's super cheap anyway.. It has a nice backlist display, stores 10 songs/110,000 notes, and required very little menu flipping as there are buttons galore on the front of it for quick productivity. Can adjust tempos no problem.. Sample midi track that comes with it is a Goa track. Hmmm..Kawai? Goa? Go figure.. You also get 32 midi tracks, so it's easy to say "Tracks 1,2,3,4 are percussion" and make your modification on your drum track without affecting everything, yet you still have 28 more midi tracks to play with. It includes quantize and quanitze shuffle, for the perfect or not-so-perfect sound. Metronome is a 1/4" output instead of an internal tin-can speaker like the Yamaha RM1x. The Q80 lets you store 99 patterns per song which is great. You can obviously make patterns, chain them, insert new material in between patterns, the editing options are endlesss. Kawai calls them "Motifs" instead of patterns.. To me, this is probably the most important feature and why the Q80 is so strong. Combine the easy to use interface with a pattern sequencer, and you have it made!

Cons: Software sequencing is by far more powerful. You can use Midi Expression values to creat the "Gated" sound. You can't really do that with external midi box, although most are probably still using external Sidechains anyway.
Another Con - no MTC Timecode (if you use it, but you probably don't)..

Good luck!

Regards,
Mark

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.11 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page