Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Featured Poll
 Big companies and hardcore
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

Only administrators can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
silver
Admin

Japan
12,548 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2005/01/02 :  07:33:41  Show profile View artist profile Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
Poll question:
Larger labels and companies are now picking up on hardcore and releasing more and more stuff, what do you think?
Choices:
Excellent for hardcore
Okay I guess
It wont make a difference either way
I don't understand the problem
I don't really agree
Very bad for hardcore

View results

Alert moderator
DarrenJ
Advanced Member

Australia
2,626 posts
DarrenJ has attended 12 events
Posted - 2005/01/02 :  09:59:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DarrenJ's homepage
I think its excellent for hardcore in Australia, with central station now got the rights to bonkers in Australia and yet another ultimate cd pack.
Downunderground fixing up there finance problems and paying artists....

-----
It aint about the raves, the drugs, the fluoro sticks, the dancers
Its about the Music

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Triquatra is a site donation subscriber Triquatra has attended 26 events
Posted - 2005/01/02 :  10:07:44  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage
i voted "ok i guess" because i see two sides to it

ultimatly it leads to hardcore getting more exposure...

on one side, artists will get the recognition they deserve, they would hopefully get more money, especially if more stores sold hardcore, in the end, the hardcore cd gets bought, and the money goes to where it should, back to the artist - even if the store doesnt have "hardcore cd store" written on the front

on the other hand, personally i dont want a load of kiddy giggley teeny boppers shouting " weeeeeee im so hardcore, drugs , candy weeeeee , and filling hardcore forums with useless shit like "WOT R UR FAVIST BISKIT" ;)

if we could pull it off without pulling in too much cheese, i think it would be "ok"
---------------------------------
May Explode Without Warning
click to visit:
My DJ Website
Hardcore Avatars and Wallpapers

Edited by - Triquatra on 2005/01/02 10:12:14
Dave Murray
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,675 posts

136 hardcore releases
Dave Murray has attended 3 events
Posted - 2005/01/02 :  12:25:56  Show profile  Send a private message
quote:
Originally posted by DjTriquatra:
on the other hand, personally i dont want a load of kiddy giggley teeny boppers shouting " weeeeeee im so hardcore, drugs , candy weeeeee , and filling hardcore forums with useless shit like "WOT R UR FAVIST BISKIT" ;)

if we could pull it off without pulling in too much cheese, i think it would be "ok"

Yes i agree 142.56% , tbh i reckon cheese would go through the roof, which errr sucks cause well cheese sucks.

Heh.

Unleash The FURY!!!

whispering

Finland
8,452 posts
whispering has donated money to the site
Posted - 2005/01/02 :  12:42:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit whispering's homepage
quote:

But then again, the cheese people could be better then these cynical purists who think music isnt supposed to be fun

I voted "ok, i guess".

djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2005/01/02 :  12:54:56  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage
quote:

I think there's already plenty of that around already!

This could end up being another one of those long-running arguments that ultimately never has a winner but i'll have a look at both points of view (seeing as i have time on my hands and am in an argumentative mood!)

1. The 'It'll give Hardcore more exposure' side of things.

Well. Basically, it will and it won't!
Bigger labels featuring Hardcore tunes/mixes will mean that more people who don't normally listen will be exposed to hardcore but that doesn't necessarily mean that thousands of people will suddenly become hardcore lovers.
I haven't noticed a massive influx of new members here who only got into Hardcore because 'You're shining' and 'Discoland' got into the UK top 40 with Hardcore mixes included.
All big labels, without exception, are in it for the money and i don't imagine including the odd hardcore track is going to bring them THAT many new sales but at the same time, hardcore is getting big again so you can't fault them for dipping their toes in the water to see how it goes can you?

2. The 'yeah but, no but, yeah but, loads of kids will be running round the streets screaming "top one, nice one get sorted"' argument.

Don't really care personally. If these younger types get into the scene, it won't make the slightest bit of difference to most aspects of the scene. They'll be too young for the events and if they only go for the cheesy stuff it won't affect the small/more diverse hardcore labels who have a different target audience anyway.
And besides, there are loads of young kids here on the site who have just as much passion for the scene as people twice their age (like me). Even if we do go through a stage where it's cool to like Hardcore, it'll soon die down and we'll be back to where we are now with a healthy mixture of good and bad. 2005 is potentially going to be either the best or worst year for hardcore so far, we shall see.....

Oh, and i didn't vote by the way!

-----------------------------

Arguably one of the best

djmyers

United Kingdom
277 posts
djmyers has donated money to the site djmyers has attended 4 events
Posted - 2005/01/02 :  13:45:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djmyers's homepage
I honestly believe that it wouldnt make a difference in the slightest. Its one of those questions that will always have a split in the opinions. I say let people release hardcore if its for the right reasons otherwise forget it. But the main thing to remember here is that Hardcore is getting bigger n bigger and that is whats important.

Download my mixes & shows FREE
http://www.djandymyers.co.uk

Core Sensations FB http://www.facebook.com/CoreSensations
http://www.twitter.com/djandymyers
http://www.mixcloud.com/djandymyers

silver
Admin

Japan
12,548 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2005/01/02 :  14:24:49  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
I guess I picked a good featured poll topic :)

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,074 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2005/01/02 :  17:21:30  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
I'm with most ppl in here, but i voted the 2nd worst option.

Big names can make producers become greedier than they are, and even tho it might not become that way, imo it will kill hardcore again, or make it more commercialized

----- wth is this, a line?

Free "non legal" Hardcore mixes & legal, full downloadable tracks @ me site

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

TypeR
Advanced Member

Unknown
2,633 posts

55 hardcore releases
TypeR has donated money to the site TypeR has attended 11 events
Posted - 2005/01/02 :  21:28:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit TypeR's homepage
i voted that it would be good for hardcore. but personally I'm kinda ashamed of many of the dj's on here with some of the comments about the prospective people that may just go nuts to their sets. These "newbies" could just be your biggest fans. who really cares if they are new or hardcore veterans, the music should be fun for everyone not just for yourselves. thats just my two cents, but what do I know, i'm just me.

don't stand and stare, just kick your legs in the air

B.C
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,747 posts

35 hardcore releases
B.C has donated money to the site B.C has attended 10 events
Posted - 2005/01/03 :  14:06:45  Show profile  Send a private message
any kind of new exposure is good for hardcore, it means more releases, more listeners and more events.

"Let's All Get Down!!"

mark-ireland
Advanced Member

Ireland
1,667 posts

17 hardcore releases
mark-ireland has attended 4 events
Posted - 2005/01/03 :  15:14:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit mark-ireland's homepage
Okay i guess. Wouldnt like hardcore to become really mainstream think it would take the unique sound away from it.

------------------------------
We will not compromise quality for popularity amongst the minority.

http://downloads.imorecords.com/label/?id=270

http://www.irishclubbing.net

DarrenJ
Advanced Member

Australia
2,626 posts
DarrenJ has attended 12 events
Posted - 2005/01/03 :  16:28:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DarrenJ's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by mark-ireland:
Okay i guess. Wouldnt like hardcore to become really mainstream think it would take the unique sound away from it.

------------------------------
We will not compromise quality for popularity amongst the minority.

I dont think it would
Unlike Freeform which is shifting towards mainstream, where all the freeform dj's are supporting the shift to the club style of finland.....loosing the dirty rawness which I was really enjoying from labels such as Camel

-----
It aint about the raves, the drugs, the fluoro sticks, the dancers
Its about the Music

Edited by - DarrenJ on 2005/01/03 16:30:40
_BoNe_
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,387 posts
_BoNe_ has donated money to the site _BoNe_ has attended 7 events
Posted - 2005/01/05 :  11:36:43  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit _BoNe_'s homepage
Bad for hardcore, good for the DJ's.
Unless they dont give a shit about cash

##################################
# iTS aLL aBOUT bEATS -- aLL aBOUT bASS #
#aLL aBOUT hARDCORE - aLL aBOUT rAVES#
##################################

################################

Artemis
Starting Member

United Kingdom
16 posts
Posted - 2005/01/23 :  21:30:50  Show profile  Send a private message
Has to be good if it means it's more harcore nights instead of scouring the internet for one close enough.

Maybe Breeze and Styles could have released the real heartbeatz instead of the rather plodding and cheesy one going on release. Not that they shouldn't do it - good luck to them, (I may even buy it out of loyalty!) I just can't quite understand how anyone could possilbly prefer it to Scott Brown's remix!

Clio

Thamuz
Starting Member

United Kingdom
4 posts
Posted - 2005/01/28 :  12:19:23  Show profile  Send a private message
As an avid extreme metal fan (aswell as a hardcore LOVER), I have had similar concerns before, and I think that it won't make a difference:

Back in the day you'd have to watch your sources closely to find out when a cool e.g. death metal band were coming to the UK, releasing a new album or whatever. There was a real intimacy in the scene and people felt like they were part of the best kept secret in music (same as with Hardcore).

When the 'Nu metal revolution' happened and Korn, Limp Bizkit et al were getting heeowge suddenly MTV knew what metal was and people were saying "Woooo!" at metal gigs instead of "WOOOOAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!". As major labels picked up long-ignored groups in an effort to get on the band-wagon, every letter page of metal magazines was filled with people fretting that you'd eventually see Morbid Angel or Cryptopsy on "Cribs". The extreme scene has not compromised since that time and continues to go from strength to strength; I can't put my finger on it, but I think that Hardcore music and the Hardcore scene have some similar innate quality which cannot be threatened by corporate attention. I can't see a think-tank down at Sony having a brainstorm to try and 'sex-up' Hardcore so it becomes compatible with poser-dance culture.

There's something 'bout our scene and people just don't get it
'Cuz it's not about your image or your ****ing street credit

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.95 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page