Page: 
of 4

Author Thread  
DJ STYLUS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,661 posts

21 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/01/13 :  12:03:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
2b honest if someone wants 2 dl mp3s its there choice dont palm them into buying records they dont want to spend their cash on. Also if u want to download some good mp3s dont use morpheus use *edit*

Everything is Hardcore
Hardcore is Music
Music is Life
Life is Meaningless??

Alert moderator Go to top of page
ian

Australia
94 posts
Posted - 2002/01/14 :  03:15:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
Personally, I don't really have a problem with MP3s.

The public domain software industry for example, is thriving on a massive scale, with most of the internet's services being run on free software. The programmers are quite happy to have their software freely distributed and are quite proud when they see how far their software spreads. Also, most of the time, the software is miles ahead of it's commercial equivalent.

I know if I produced a track I'd want as much exposure as I could get. Typing my name into a program like Napster and seeing all those results appear would be a thrill!

It's all about exposure, what about radio silver? Is radio a bad thing? People could tape their favourite songs off radio - however most artist are thrilled when they get airplay. The same applies with MP3s.

I now buy between 1 and 3 cds a week. I always test the waters by listening to MP3s. Before MP3s I was lucky if I'd buy a cd a month, because I simply didn't know what I was buying.

Anyway, that's my rant for the evening... flame away!

silver
Admin

Japan
12,549 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2002/01/14 :  03:32:31  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage  Reply with quote
Ian: I'm not going to get into a massive arguement here but did you know that everytime a song is played on the radio, TV anything the artist or the recording company is getting paid, this applies to anywhere in the world. On the internet if it get's played no one gets paid. In Australia for example if a song is played on the radio the recording company gets $4.00.

----------------------------------
you, me and hardcore forever.

ian

Australia
94 posts
Posted - 2002/01/15 :  03:15:43  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
Silver: A valid point, but how much of that money would be passed on to the artist? Artists would be more happy about the exposure than the money in the case o radio play IMHO. MP3's generate revenue too, I'd have to say possibly more than an artist's song being played on the radio.

But enough about this, I respect your point of view. You really have to sympathise with both sides on this one I think.

Anyway, your last statement brings me to a question (non-mp3 related) which I've been curious about for some time now.

When I hear a tune played at a club or a rave, are the artists who write the songs being paid (just like with the radio) when their song is played? Afterall, this would be using a recording for commercial use?

So how does all this work?

Also, are DJs paying the respective record companies when they release a tape mix to a store locally? I know in Australia tape packs used to be sold at a few record stores, pretty small business it seems, this would lead me to think that the DJs aren't paying the record companies, and making revenue from other people's songs... Seems much worse than me downloading an MP3 to decide whether I like an artist (sorry... not the MP3 issue again! )

silver
Admin

Japan
12,549 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2002/01/15 :  05:06:42  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage  Reply with quote
Ian: Actually because that is under publishing right the artist would get all of it. Unless they were stupid enough to sign their publishing rights away.

DJ STYLUS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,661 posts

21 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/01/15 :  05:30:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
Mp3s Foreva and Foreva and Foreva. Nothings gonna stop us now.!

Lets Go Make Believe, Will I Love The Sky, On A Moonless Night, With A Magic Carpet Ride, If You Make Believe, Whatever You Dream, You Will Achieve If You Take A Chance In Make Believe.

DJ STYLUS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,661 posts

21 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/01/15 :  05:38:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
You know what I thought we were like a special group, 'A hardcore family' but I think its ****in sad and outta orda how u lot think u can pik on a 15 yr old girl. Thats ****in bent!!!!

And as for aznwasian ****in thretenin to brick windows, Tsk, U r ****in dry, think b4 u ****in start flappin ya lips!! Loads a ppl download mp3z and I do aswell!!! And I think being young is a good excuse 4 downloadin mp3z as they do not have alota money and why should they buy records CAUSE u said so, ****off!¬!. Hounestly this is really disapointing!!! Shame on all u!!!!

Now u r gonna try and start cusin my ass down, (thats the way immature mindz click)!!!

Well someone had to say it!!!

Lets Go Make Believe, Will I Love The Sky, On A Moonless Night, With A Magic Carpet Ride, If You Make Believe, Whatever You Dream, You Will Achieve If You Take A Chance In Make Believe.

Goldie

United Kingdom
22 posts
Posted - 2002/01/15 :  05:58:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
hi,i dont know what morpheus is so i dont have the information to discuss it,,i am writng this so i can get stars

If you want it , get it.

Goldie

United Kingdom
22 posts
Posted - 2002/01/15 :  05:59:59  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
I GOT ONE!!!!!!!!!

If you want it , get it.

DJ STYLUS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,661 posts

21 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/01/15 :  06:01:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
Hey your 1st star...u must feel proud of yaself!!

ian

Australia
94 posts
Posted - 2002/01/15 :  16:18:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
Silver: I didn't really understand your answer sorry.

Does you mean that if a DJ plays, say, one of your tracks at a rave you're gonna get paid something for him using it, and the publisher won't be recieving anything?

I'm just interested in how this process all works.

silver
Admin

Japan
12,549 posts

894 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/01/15 :  17:45:58  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage  Reply with quote
ian: you know how most records say "not for public broadcasting" or something like that... everytime a song is played the artist "should" be getting paid publishing rights, so yes when a DJ plays a record at a rave he is "breaking the rules" and should pay the artist the publishing rights to broadcast the record to lots of people... BUT no one goes that anal with the rights because nothing would get played so they only really inforce it for videos, movies, TV and radio.

djmarinecorpse

Canada
265 posts
Posted - 2002/04/22 :  15:21:11  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
Well, my two cents on the matter is that if you can at ALL buy a track, if it's available to buy *SOMEWHERE* on the net, then you shouldn't be downloading the MP3 unless somebody's pimping it for like 300 quid. But, for the tracks which either are so old nobody's interested, or for the tracks which aren't going to be repressed that fall under my above mentioned rule, I don't really think the producers would mind, esp. if they have newer, better stuff which you would buy.

Paul

Old sig removed due to stagnation.

djmarinecorpse

Canada
265 posts
Posted - 2002/04/22 :  15:23:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
I kno I'm not doing any of this for money, but when I found one of my trax on AG, I couldn't believe it...

Paul

Old sig removed due to stagnation.

DJ Mouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,687 posts
DJ Mouse has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/04/22 :  15:29:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
it's not so bad if you put the tunes on there yourself,but to have a single released then see it there? must be heartbreaking. i know it would be for me.
i've seen a few tracks there that have been forbidden to download,why not try get yours forbidden?

--------------------------------------------------
"Don't frown when someone annoys you, it uses 42 muscles. Bitch-slap the fu©ker, it only uses 4"

DJ Mouse

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 4 pages long: 1  2  3  4
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.22 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page