Page: 
of 3

Author Thread  
Annex

Canada
285 posts

38 hardcore releases
Annex has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/03/12 :  20:21:46  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
speccedninja... dudemar

what's your beef with heart of gold??

the lyrics are bitter sweet man
"you have a heart of gold, a precious jewel to which i was sold, but i just, can't justify your love.... it hurts to see you walk away, and i'd like to ask you back to stay, to hold you in my arms just one more time... another day has passed me by, of shattered dreams, a distant cry, and i feel like that i lost my world to you... a thousand years here i can stand, your precious stone held in my hand.. but i just.. can't justify your love..."

not heard perfectly but yeah, close enough......
the point is.. bitter sweet
we'll make the claim the person vocalizing the lyrics is female, and she's got a guy she loves...
loves him wif all her heart, and it's reciprocated, but due to life circumstances he's forced to move far far faaaaaaaaaaar away (other side of the world) nad it's just not feasable for them to physically be together...
no matter how much she wants him back, it won't justify the fact that he's not there, she can't have the love she so desires.......

sappy as all hell! but damnit, bittersweet goodness
and a quality song
*shakes his fist*

Potatoe

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Simon
Advanced Member

Belgium
5,001 posts
Simon has donated money to the site Simon has attended 5 events
Posted - 2002/03/13 :  02:45:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Simon's homepage  Reply with quote
The ultimate cheese of lyrics are in the pop world.
and yeah I don't wanna hear another bad word about Force & Styles they've done a lot for our scene.

Sy.

additive
Starting Member

Australia
6 posts
Posted - 2002/03/13 :  03:21:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit additive's homepage  Reply with quote
ok.. here's my highly uneducated view...
for all it's worth (sorry if no one cares, but I thought i'd put it forward anyway..)

cheese in happy hardcore is referring to the constant and minimalistic rhythm, smurf-like voices, sawtooth synths, in some respects the effect of build ups, and breakdowns with 303's and your traditional I-IV-V-I tonal progressions.

All this is the basis of the development of any electronic music anyway, just happy hardcore has lyrics based on happiness, and uplifting. The synths, and drum machines are programmed mathematically to produce a tonally effective and "sweet" sound, rather than an atonal, or dissonant sound which can cause tension. All the tension of dissonance is peacefully resolved with simple cadences and is easily recommended by any western musical listener.

To put this simply, Happy hardcore uses traditional western tonality in it's simplest form, usually without modulation, and if it does use modulation, then it's only to the dominant or sub-dominant usually... the drum machines are programmed with a highly recognizable beat, and simple rhythms (often with a complex hihat, and snare rhythm overlaying... almost a rhythmic counterpoint to the melody)... the vocals are always sweet, and melodic, very catchy, and based on progressions that are known well in western musical history.

Overall, a stunning effect; which most listeners can easily relate to, and because of its simplicity is called cheese.

Anyone who decries simple music is too proud to appreciate the intricacies of the common western musical history.

My Conclusion is that Happy hardcore is derived from the simplest forms of western music, and is one of the most appreciable sounds that can be heard in the electronic music market...

Apart from that, if anyone cares about this too... Happy Hardcore has had MANY Number 1 Hits around the world, and they weren't even noticed. They were cheesy, and simple, and half of you would say.. "That's not happy hardcore" .. seriously..
But cheese is the shit, and that's all there is to it.

AEHhAEhAEHAEhAE

Annex

Canada
285 posts

38 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/03/13 :  14:59:46  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
thank you sy :)

addictive.... way to play it humble.. ass ;)
hehe jk of course! ;)
good to see someone who at least is very good at pretending to be educated in the musical arts

anyhoo...as far as cheese goes, i'm for the most part talking... the lyrics that grace most happycore songs... like the previously mentioned heart of gold, bitter, freaking, sweet!
cheese in happycore.. is a dramatic, romantic, experiance

but... then again.. maybe i'm just a big sap? ;)

Potatoe

strychnine
Advanced Member

Australia
2,268 posts

92 hardcore releases
strychnine has attended 2 events
Posted - 2002/03/13 :  22:27:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit strychnine's homepage  Reply with quote
I've just looked back on my posts and I can't see anywhere where I made a personal attack on Force and/or Styles. All I said was I thought Heart of Gold wasn't all that crash hot. Since when was that a crime? Hell, while I think Shooting Star's a killer track, others think otherwise - no probz; they're entitled to their opinion ... and no-one begrudges their opinion on the grounds that Bang!, Brisk and Ham have done so much for the scene ...

My beef with Heart of Gold is this: the lyrics, while bittersweet and with genuine meaning that I can relate to, are strained in the way they were written, as if it were a nuclear physicist trying to write a love song. It may sound pedantic, but writing is one of my passions (although I've only ever had one piece published in a compilation), and it absolutely s***s me that a message with so much potential as the one in Heart of Gold wasn't carried across as well as it could've.

(Yeah, I know writing to music limits the kind of poetic structures you can use, but the fact that a flaw's excusable doesn't make it any less annoying)

Oh, and I think the lyrics to Don't Cry by DJ Kaos convey a similar message a lot better, with more emotion. It was a remake of an old ballad but the verses he used are enough.

===============
Don't dream it's over

Edited by - strychnine on 2002/03/13 23:01:13
BM

United States
98 posts
Posted - 2002/03/14 :  00:18:48  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
Cheese is ultimate, man!!! One of the pure ingredients to make a Happycore song. I write some cheese myself, hopefully I can get it out on vinyl by the summer!!! Any labels interested? Quosh? Next Gen.? :) I think it might go on Rave N Beats, though. Trying to start my own label....any suggestions anyone?

I feel your love.....it's pushin' me higher, I feel the energy, burnin' like fire.....:)

silver
Admin

Japan
12,549 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2002/03/14 :  00:31:40  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage  Reply with quote
BM: Send it too me for MasterWax

----------------------------------
you, me and hardcore forever.

Simon
Advanced Member

Belgium
5,001 posts
Simon has donated money to the site Simon has attended 5 events
Posted - 2002/03/15 :  00:01:39  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Simon's homepage  Reply with quote
Cheers Annex tis nice to be appreciated!!!!!
There's been a debate before about Heart of Gold & I personnly thought the lyrics were put together really well but thats only my oppinion.

Sy.

BM

United States
98 posts
Posted - 2002/03/15 :  10:03:43  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
My vocalist isn't back from Korea yet, but we'll be working at it when she comes down late March. I need some pointers on what program is best to use, 'cause I've been hearing a lot of stuff. I'm currently using Cubase, but I would like to expand my horizons and also do any of you know of a good place to get tons of samples, like distortion drums or vocal samples.

Silver, it would be great to have something on Master Wax, I'll send something when it's completly finished.

I feel your love.....it's pushin' me higher, I feel the energy, burnin' like fire.....:)

Lusive
Average Member

Australia
151 posts
Posted - 2002/03/15 :  16:29:17  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
speccedninja: is it so incredibly impossible to apreciate a song with such imperfect lyrics?, cant you just accept it for the fact that it was made to make people dance, have fun and feel happy. not only that but it was made in 1996.. maybe force and styles arent great poets but they are great artists are they not?

I seriously wonder if you heard someone playing heart of gold out whether youd turn to your friends who were having a great time and start telling them about how you thought that the lyrics were weak and could have done better. etc etc

sorry, i got nothing against you, just think people should drop the heart of gold debate.. it served its purpose.. yeh its damn cheesy.. so? </outburst>

| A good way to threaten somebody is to light a stick of dynamite. Then you call the guy and hold the burning fuse up to the phone. "Hear that?" you say. "That's dynamite, baby." -Jack Handy |

xxxFRIARxxx

United States
68 posts
Posted - 2002/03/16 :  07:43:25  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
Personally, I like HHC over any other type of music because of the way it makes me feel. I used to be into the whole "Metal" scene, but that became too dark and dreary for me. I wanted some music that, for once, would make me happy in my life. Thank you Happy Hardcore producers and DJs.

In my opinion, Happy Hardcore isn't happy without the cheese.

BRING ON THE SWISS, CHEDDAR, AND CO-JACK!

-Friar

The early bird gets the worm.
The second mouse gets the cheese.

strychnine
Advanced Member

Australia
2,268 posts

92 hardcore releases
strychnine has attended 2 events
Posted - 2002/03/16 :  16:36:01  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit strychnine's homepage  Reply with quote
Lusive: You make a valid point, but I still hold on to mine. I don't like the song. Nothing will make me like the song. It is my right to not like the song. Is it so hard for you to understand that?

Yeah, imperfect lyrics may seem like an insufficient reason to you. To me, they have the power to turn what is otherwise a good song into an incredibly annoying one.

No, I don't stand in the middle of the dancefloor telling everyone how much I hate this song, the same way that I don't go to linedancing classes and rant about how boot-scooting music makes me wanna puke. If the DJ plays a track I don't like, I just have a stretch, go get a drink, take a leak or otherwise do my best to ignore it. It's a matter of personal taste.

The original poster (Annex) asked a question, and I answered it. In my response I named a few tracks as examples of the points I was trying to make. I didn't mean to re-open any old wounds. I actually thought my response was kinda benign.

- speccedninja
===============
Don't dream it's over

Lusive
Average Member

Australia
151 posts
Posted - 2002/03/17 :  01:12:40  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
speccedninja: ok fair enough :)

i forgive you... *jokes*

:P

| A good way to threaten somebody is to light a stick of dynamite. Then you call the guy and hold the burning fuse up to the phone. "Hear that?" you say. "That's dynamite, baby." -Jack Handy |

Annex

Canada
285 posts

38 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/03/17 :  16:12:08  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
lol yes, this has gotten mildly out of hand ;)

actually in all honesty, i didn't apreciate heart of gold as much as i useda, until recently........ noooooooooo idea why :)

but anyhoo
mmm sweet sweet cheese :)

Potatoe

Brian K
Advanced Member

United States
8,663 posts

528 hardcore releases
Brian K has attended 5 events
Posted - 2002/03/17 :  20:02:25  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
i personally prefer the nuttyness of synth lines/bass lines/etc. to vocals, but to each his own slice of cheese =P

"As punishment for your desertion, it's company policy to give you the plague."

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 3 pages long: 1  2  3
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.75 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page