Total online 1678
 Radio listeners 156+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 What is meant by gabber, beats and breaks??
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
loser
Starting Member

Australia
4 posts
Posted - 2002/04/12 :  22:24:36  Show profile Send a private message
i know its not cool at all to not know the lingo, but can someone enlighten me as to the meanings of these genre names??

"rave is more than a night, it's a way of life" - wise words

Alert moderator
o0sameyeam0o

United States
472 posts
Posted - 2002/04/12 :  23:23:45  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit o0sameyeam0o's homepage
gabber is a diff term for hardcore techno, great stuff, love it, little bit more than hhc, not alot though, i guess beats would mean the main bass of a track, the kicks, and breaks, how could you not understand breaks, its like a drum loop, :)

im pretty sure about all the above, sumone correct me if im wrong ;)

sam

o0:: MaX rEsPeKts ::0o

SAM EYE AM!

www.distortedtrauma.com

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Heist
Advanced Member

Australia
706 posts
Posted - 2002/04/13 :  03:39:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Heist's homepage
Gabber: A genre that comes out of the netherlands. Its evolved to several different forms and now you would find Nu skool gabber (slow, Noisy, well produced. See Nosferatu - Language of Rythm), Artcore (Faster with manic synths Anything on Ruffneck Records or H20H records), Darkcore (Same as nuskool gabber but darker and more minimal). Originally it was all simmilar to the ruffneck records sound but sometimes very fast and distorted becoming a subgenre called speedcore.

Beats: Not a genre. Literaly the rythm of a track

Breaks: Either the genre (Nuskool Breaks/Progressive breaks) or a description of a drumloop without a 4/4 bass beat.

www.mp3.com/djheist

WWW.VOIDDJ.COM

Mixes, Original Tracks & Remixes, Hardcore Event/Music Reviews, Pics and more...

miss-mitzi
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
608 posts

55 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/04/13 :  05:52:17  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit miss-mitzi's homepage
gabba is wot i sound like comin back from the pub!!!..... beats is what i do to the stereo when it wont work!!...... an breaks!... well!, thats wot iv just done 2 the stereo...... seriously!

If computer games effected us kids, we would all be runnin around in dark rooms munchin magic pills and listenin to repetative music!

Underloop
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,895 posts

91 hardcore releases
Underloop has donated money to the site Underloop has attended 5 events
Posted - 2002/04/13 :  06:26:57  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Underloop's homepage
"Breaks" actually originated from hip-hop, but then the concept travelled across to other genres (such as HHC and DnB). It started out with the early hip-hop DJs taking the breakdown section from soul records and looping them over and over again for the MCs to rhyme over. They did this coz the DJs noticed that these were the sections of the records that the crowd loved the most.

Over time, instead of the whole breakdown being used, it got shortened to just 1 or 2 bars of drums. This became simpler with the increased use of samplers. Nowadays the 1 bar drum loop gets cut up into shorter sections, and gets triggered at diferent points, and all sorts of other stuff, so that the original drum loop is not recognisable (so that no royalties have to be paid hee hee), and so is formed the modern day "break".

A little history for every1, as I figure some people might need a little sleep heheh

Matthew
--------------------------
"Its a Hardcore hit. This is the **** that kicks" - MC Storm

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.14 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page