Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 General discussion
 happyhardcore.com in the past
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
DjCirrus

United States
61 posts
Posted - 2018/10/26 :  06:13:23  Show profile Send a private message
What was happyhardcore.com like in the early 2000's
I've only been in the scene for about a year

Alert moderator
Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Triquatra is a site donation subscriber Triquatra has attended 26 events
Posted - 2018/10/26 :  08:53:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage
Busy and fairly exciting - you never knew what was about to be 'leaked' as far as big albums go, like Bonkers, Hardcore Heaven etc etc.
Lots and lots of people used the forum/looked at the site back then. News on the front page wasn't just radio listings.

complete opposite to how it is now, basically. It started to get quieter around 2007 as the music started to go stale; only thing keeping the forums alive then was constant complaints about the "new" dubstep influence in hardcore.

Then social media took off as facebook left the US and went worldwide and that basically put a nail in the coffin for all forums everywhere.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Captain Triceps
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,183 posts
Posted - 2018/10/26 :  10:21:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Captain Triceps's homepage
But looked pretty much the same as now.

https://soundcloud.com/paulbradley1982

wong
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,991 posts
Posted - 2018/10/26 :  11:22:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit wong's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Triceps:
But looked pretty much the same as now.

remember when they changer the skin for a day or 2 to the helter skelter album skin? that looked good imo

The drunken scotsman
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,486 posts
Posted - 2018/10/26 :  17:04:08  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit The drunken scotsman's homepage
This was just one of many forums back in those days. Ush.net was probably the most popular. HTID and Scott Browns label Evloution also had fairly busy forum sections. All now deceased with the exception of here. Most on here, including me, dont really give a shit about modern hardcore anymore.

Captain Triceps
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,183 posts
Posted - 2018/10/26 :  18:22:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Captain Triceps's homepage
USH was the greatest hardcore forum of all time.

https://soundcloud.com/paulbradley1982

DjCirrus

United States
61 posts
Posted - 2018/10/28 :  03:12:32  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DjCirrus's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by The drunken scotsman:
This was just one of many forums back in those days. Ush.net was probably the most popular. HTID and Scott Browns label Evloution also had fairly busy forum sections. All now deceased with the exception of here. Most on here, including me, dont really give a shit about modern hardcore anymore.

I used to love the new hardcore, but now that I've listened to 90's and even track from EP, I think hardcore now is just pop EDM at 170. The only label i like that is more recent is OneSeventy

Smoogie
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,480 posts
Posted - 2018/10/28 :  16:50:35  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Smoogie's homepage
There is one thread from before my time, in 2002 I think where people where complaining about Flip ad Fill ripping off old HHC tunes as chart releases. Silver actually liked their stuff at the time it seems.

Later was the Rankin/ Cammy hatred and a big divide between those who liked the mainstream Raverbaby/ Quosh CLXH stuff against other stuff. Bonkers was always talked about back then. Everything was CD releases.

It also used to be a good laugh her back in the day as well!

warped_candykid
Advanced Member

United States
3,931 posts
warped_candykid has attended 5 events
Posted - 2018/10/28 :  18:45:04  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit warped_candykid's homepage
I joined in 2004. Being in the States, the only other big forum of happy hardcore conversation we had was the old kanditrade . net site (I don't even know if it's still a thing or not), because many peeps on that forum went to the Hullabaloo parties in Canada which were North America's biggest Happy Hardcore events! Believe it or not, you use to be able to go to the mall or wal-mart and pick up a happy hardcore CD. The left over stock from the Happy2bHardcore series was still being sold back then, which was the only mainstream CD series of happy hardcore music released in the States between 1997-2003. If you were a happy hardcore lover in the States during that time, those CDs were in your collection.

But back to topic!

CD mixes were the main way to hear upcoming tracks, so the front page was always sharing info on which CD was coming out next. Artwork was posted to the front page, as well as the TV ads. Vinyl was still a big format at that time as well, and samples were always being posted. When labels started using mp3 format, they would also post samples (back then, there weren't as many labels doing mp3 outside the main ones still using vinyl). There was also a big push to release CDs that had classic tracks on them.

Many conversations were centered about favorite 90s tracks, favorite DJ (insert name) tracks, what the sound on the next Bonkers, Hardcore Heaven, Hardcore Nation, etc. was going to be like before the samples were posted, likes/dislikes of current trends, drama between DJs,

96_was_the_time was still a member on here and would constantly bash anything about current hardcore at the time.

It's definitely been a world of change on here since those days. I'm glad Triquatra and Latinxtc are still on here! I really miss Stu & Kat though.

Edited by - warped_candykid on 2018/10/28 18:51:32
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,064 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2018/10/29 :  05:35:55  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
I haven't seen them on facebook for a long time either. I think they might have skipped social media entirely.

Warped: Did you edit away your text about Kathy and Mortis? Because that's what I was posting about :P

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Edited by - Samination on 2018/10/29 11:28:52
Smoogie
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,480 posts
Posted - 2018/10/29 :  08:35:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Smoogie's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by warped_candykid:
CD mixes were the main way to hear upcoming tracks, so the front page was always sharing info on which CD was coming out next. Artwork was posted to the front page, as well as the TV ads. Vinyl was still a big format at that time as well, and samples were always being posted. When labels started using mp3 format, they would also post samples (back then, there weren't as many labels doing mp3 outside the main ones still using vinyl). There was also a big push to release CDs that had classic tracks on them.

Many conversations were centered about favorite 90s tracks, favorite DJ (insert name) tracks, what the sound on the next Bonkers, Hardcore Heaven, Hardcore Nation, etc. was going to be like before the samples were posted, likes/dislikes of current trends, drama between DJs,

96_was_the_time was still a member on here and would constantly bash anything about current hardcore at the time.

It's definitely been a world of change on here since those days. I'm glad Triquatra and Latinxtc are still on here! I really miss Stu & Kat though.

I remember seeing Bonkers posted on the front page and the anticipation before release. Almost like the release of a big video game of movie in some ways. Hardcore Heaven and Hardcore Nation where all rivals out at the time as well. You even got some lesser known or mild series coming out for a while. I remember 'Wow what a rush' and a few Helter Skelter releases.

I actually spoke to Mortis a while back on Soundcloud. He isn't interested n recent UK Hardcore but was dabbling in Jcore I think.

warped_candykid
Advanced Member

United States
3,931 posts
Posted - 2018/10/29 :  22:14:53  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit warped_candykid's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
I haven't seen them on facebook for a long time either. I think they might have skipped social media entirely.

Warped: Did you edit away your text about Kathy and Mortis? Because that's what I was posting about :P

No. It's still there.

For the newbies, Stu & Kat were the forum's husband and wife. They both loved Happy Hardcore and were big regulars on here!

Edited by - warped_candykid on 2018/10/29 22:15:10
Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2018/11/03 :  19:45:33  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
quote:

I forgot about the Evolution forum! There was also a Next Gen/BB forum.

The forum between 2002-2004 was impossible to imagine compared to what it is now. For a start it was very active but it was also a much friendlier place. It was a very exciting time for Hardcore and there were a lot of things to talk about. It was always good to talk about new releases and upcoming releases that were good, but also there was a great deal of discussion about older stuff too. At that time pretty much everyone that was on the forum were people that started listening to 90's stuff, since at that time the early 2000's were new to everyone. As some years passed there became an increasingly big divide between this group and a new group of people that had only heard the newer stuff and weren't into the older stuff and then again a new group that would have considered 2002 'Oldskool'.

warped_candykid
Advanced Member

United States
3,931 posts
Posted - 2018/11/04 :  03:02:38  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit warped_candykid's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Hard2Get:
quote:

I forgot about the Evolution forum! There was also a Next Gen/BB forum.

The forum between 2002-2004 was impossible to imagine compared to what it is now. For a start it was very active but it was also a much friendlier place. It was a very exciting time for Hardcore and there were a lot of things to talk about. It was always good to talk about new releases and upcoming releases that were good, but also there was a great deal of discussion about older stuff too. At that time pretty much everyone that was on the forum were people that started listening to 90's stuff, since at that time the early 2000's were new to everyone. As some years passed there became an increasingly big divide between this group and a new group of people that had only heard the newer stuff and weren't into the older stuff and then again a new group that would have considered 2002 'Oldskool'.

We call those people The Curmudgeons.

Edited by - warped_candykid on 2018/11/04 03:03:06
Smoogie
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,480 posts
Posted - 2018/11/04 :  11:15:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Smoogie's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Hard2Get:
As some years passed there became an increasingly big divide between this group and a new group of people that had only heard the newer stuff and weren't into the older stuff and then again a new group that would have considered 2002 'Oldskool'.

The thing is by the late 2000s 2002 was being seen as 'Old Skool' anyway. If you listen to stuff from 2002 compared to 2007 you can hear a difference. Personally I think that 2002 was stronger yet here where probably more people into the scene by 2007 after the new surge of listeners, a lot of those born in the late 80s/ early 90s had settled.

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,064 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2018/11/04 :  13:18:46  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
well, the upfront/uk hardcore might have sounded very different, 2002 compared to 2007, the same couldnt be said about freeform.

Freeform, at least at that time didnt change much, which is why a lot here seem to like it.

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.81 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page