Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

Author Thread  
LeVzi
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
944 posts
Posted - 2019/02/22 :  06:24:38  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit LeVzi's homepage  Reply with quote
This is why I find the USA scene untapped, because you never had a history of rave. From the old breakbeat stuff through to the 4 beat stuff.

But there's no way to go back n do it all again over there, but maybe and old skool scene would kick it off.

It wouldn't work here as it's been done many MANY times before.

Scene is truly in need of new material in a different direction now.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Triquatra is a site donation subscriber Triquatra has attended 26 events
Posted - 2019/02/22 :  11:22:20  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage  Reply with quote
Well, they do have a history, for sure, it's just not a shared cultural history like we have on our little island. Theirs is pockets here and there and niche. Dance music for us grew up and exploded in front of the eyes of our entire population through the media in the early 90s, something that didn't happen over there until recently.

just felt that had to be defined before it angers someone on the other side of the pond :P

Impulse_Response
Advanced Member

United States
724 posts
Impulse_Response has attended 1 event
Posted - 2019/02/23 :  00:53:23  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Impulse_Response's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by warped_candykid:
... You simply take one look and see something you don't like, and automatically treat it like the culprit. That's not how things work.

Spot on post. That's how things work for rafferty, though. He complains about what other people like and complains when people don't like what he likes (i.e. garbage EDMcore). The best we can do is ignore him.

warped_candykid
Advanced Member

United States
3,934 posts
warped_candykid has attended 5 events
Posted - 2019/02/23 :  01:08:59  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit warped_candykid's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Triquatra:
Well, they do have a history, for sure, it's just not a shared cultural history like we have on our little island. Theirs is pockets here and there and niche. Dance music for us grew up and exploded in front of the eyes of our entire population through the media in the early 90s, something that didn't happen over there until recently.

just felt that had to be defined before it angers someone on the other side of the pond :P

Don't worry about me Triquatra. You've been here. You know how it is.

rafferty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
621 posts
Posted - 2019/02/23 :  05:02:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit rafferty's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by rafferty:
quote:
First off: Back off us candy kids! Without the candy ravers, Hardcore wouldn't had been nearly as popular as it was here in the States back in the Anabolic Frolic days. Candy kids & Happy Hardcore were a solid staple, and there were TONS more scenes over here than there is now. If you've noticed...a decline in candy ravers has equaled a decline in Happy Hardcore here in the States.

Ok, so DJCirrus, Many people here in the States hate dance music in general because it's not popular. You'll find more Americans liking Dub Step or Trance because it's what's fed to them through the media. I don't know how old you are (I'm 31), but I can tell you European dance music has always been treated as a joke in mainstream America after like, 1995. MTV tried it's best to stomp out any foreign dance music videos (until MTV2 came along). Even news teams tried to shame dance music when the RAVE ACT was enacted in 2002. It's just a genre of music that has only stuck with certain individuals here.

Aqua hit the States in 1997, and even though it was eurodance music, the term "Bubblegum Pop" started floating around, so that didn't help anything. (I will never, ever refer to cheesy eurodance as bubblegum pop. I'm sorry, it's eurodance when eurodance was splitting from it's 1994 sound).

People here don't like Hardcore because it's not like it was. Back in the late 90s and early 2000s, you could go to WalMart or any Mall and pick up a happy hardcore CD. Ravers just KNEW about it, and had a resource to go to (we didn't have wide spread internet for illegal downloading). You had to go buy the CDs, and happy hardcore was storming all over the States back then (thanks to the candy ravers). That crowd has moved on now (except for the few 30-40 year olds left who remember such days).

Another reason happy hardcore was so popular was because candy kids had tons of meet ups! One of the biggest candy kid get together events was Raver Day at Disneyland. Tons would meet up and then go to a rave that night. There was also an old website called kanditrade . net. It was forum page where candy kids all over the States (and the few international peeps) would trade candy through the mail. And happy hardcore was always a topic of discussion. DJs sharing the latest vinyl releases, and people sharing info about Bonkers & upcoming Happy2bHardcore releases. It was such a fun time and how sooo many people found out about Happy Hardcore

If candy is dieing in the U.S I am very happy about that. It is an embarrassment to your country and the scene. Looking like a total farkin muppit with rainbow beads and sucking on a dummy. How can you think that is good? You may as well turn up to a rave in your sisters fairy dress.

Thankfully that candy shite did't get too popular in the Hardcore scene here, was more of a Gatecrasher Trance thing. I am guessing a lot of it was from fear of being hassled or bashed by chavs who used to frequent raves a lot.

Hardcore was at it's most popular in the 90s long before candy ravers. It all went down hill when candy appeared. Facts are facts. In the 90s events like Fusion, Helter Skelter & Hardcore Heaven were rammed at venues like the Sanctuary. Hardcore djs were in the top 100. Guys like Slipmatt & Seduction were household names.

I honesty think the scene is back on the way up. The culture is going back to it's roots and emulating the Dutch Hardcore/Hardstyle scene both in both music sounds and ravers clothing styles. Candy is said to be dead or dieing everywhere.

America has always been very behind the UK with it's rave scene. While you have had some good Hardcore dj/producers like Simon Apex running Subsonic Underground and AC Slater running Pitched up.
Candy has done you no favours as far as being respected by the wider population.

Well I guess candy brought down Hardcore on your side of the ocean, but over here, it was highly popular and Happy Hardcore was booming; they went together (here in the States). I'm sorry you hate it. Your dislike in something doesn't equate to "That's why Hardcore isn't popular". I've told you why it's not popular: Lack of sustainability. Today's generation of ravers just aren't like those of the 90s or 2000s. They flock to whatever is being fed to them as being "popular". If it's Hardcore, then great! If it's not, then too bad for Hardcore. And what's available for US 20 year olds to buy that's Hardcore? Nothing (unless they look to an mp3 site). They all play music off a streaming service; there's no collecting now. I have watched my own scene become barren of anything over 150 bpm (and we didn't have a lot of candy kids here either, so there goes your argument.) Promoters won't even dare touch the stuff anymore. You really need to observe your own experience in raving and then compare it the States. We didn't have tons of CD series to get. We didn't have the music as easily available. It was the ravers that spread the genre, and 70% of those ravers were the candy kids. Even candy kids aren't popular much anymore here in the States, and oh! Look at that, neither is Hardcore. And it's not just Hardcore; any hard dance is hard to come by now here (at least on the East Coast). Times change. Maybe one day, there will be a revival in UK Hardcore popularity. But it won't be with the current crowd.

And also, you don't even live here. You weren't part of the movement here. You weren't part of the original crews here. You don't know our experience. You simply take one look and see something you don't like, and automatically treat it like the culprit. That's not how things work.

Look I think it is good that you guys supported the UK scene. But I will never like candy, it made a total mockery of what Hardcore is about. Whether you like it or not that is the truth.
As far as I can see Gammer & Styles seem to still be playing some big festivals in the U.S which never happened in the past.
So I don't think it is all doom and gloom there. Maybe just candy is dieing and Hardcore is fine. People are just realising that don't want to look like twats.

What proper Hardcore Rave crowds were like, no candy . I was at this party too.

Candy & anime was just a faze & a total embarrassment that everyone mocks and laughs at now.

Edited by - rafferty on 2019/02/23 05:39:20
rafferty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
621 posts
Posted - 2019/02/23 :  05:24:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit rafferty's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Impulse_Response:
quote:
... You simply take one look and see something you don't like, and automatically treat it like the culprit. That's not how things work.

Spot on post. That's how things work for rafferty, though. He complains about what other people like and complains when people don't like what he likes (i.e. garbage EDMcore). The best we can do is ignore him.

Haha that is the pot calling the kettle black. You see I am not a sheep like you lol... I am not afraid to say it how it is.. I am happy to say I like edm Hardcore and that candy is gay even though I get a lot of backlash for saying it.

While a lot of you are narrow minded in evolving Hardcore and just want to keep the same old sound forever. Whinging and complaining constantly that every tune does not sound like a vocal trance record pitched up anymore.

Anywayz, the way producers are going and candy is dieing. It seems more people seem to agree with me than not outside of this forum.

Candy & anime was just a faze & a total embarrassment that everyone mocks and laughs at now.

Icewind

Canada
116 posts
Posted - 2019/02/23 :  21:24:34  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Icewind's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by rafferty:
quote:
Originally posted by Impulse_Response:
quote:

Haha that is the pot calling the kettle black. You see I am not a sheep like you lol... I am not afraid to say it how it is.. I am happy to say I like edm Hardcore and that candy is gay even though I get a lot of backlash for saying it.

While a lot of you are narrow minded in evolving Hardcore and just want to keep the same old sound forever. Whinging and complaining constantly that every tune does not sound like a vocal trance record pitched up anymore.

Anywayz, the way producers are going and candy is dieing. It seems more people seem to agree with me than not outside of this forum.

Hahah rafferty, how old are you? You sound like a teenager referring to things you don't like as gay... In USA, and Canada, candy was and still is a thing, and I'm sure it even makes it's appearances in the UK scene. Probably will always be a part of the scene in some respect whether you like it or not. I watched the video you posted of people wearing bright yellow construction vests, white gloves, and glow sticks...what is your point? Rave culture, and happy/uk hardcore in particular, has always been about free expression and has generally been associated with bright, colorful and over the top fashion, and it can be seen in that video too. Wearing candy isn't too much different.

To answer your question OP, it really is just difference of taste, but also trends. 10 years ago electronic dance music was pretty underground here in Toronto. I found that dance music was generally looked down upon here because it deviated from the normal mainstream radio output of rock/pop/rap...BUT since the explosion of "EDM" in the last few years, in my experience there are many more people who are open to it now as it has pretty much become mainstream. However when it comes to hardcore, 180 BPM isn't for everyone...

latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
latininxtc has attended 5 events
Posted - 2019/03/03 :  00:48:00  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage  Reply with quote
Candy kids are the scum of the earth and they all should die.

DJ A.K.
Average Member

United Kingdom
217 posts
Posted - 2019/03/03 :  16:05:48  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ A.K.'s homepage  Reply with quote
Hardcore is an easy target, I mean its not exactly easy listening so its not hard to find other people to shit on it and its a relatively small scene so there are few hangers on ready to defend it, it also doesn't really have quality standards so the quality of tracks varies wildly from god awful to hidden gems.
Strangely though these are the reasons I like it so guess its catch 22.

GalaxyFox
Starting Member

United States
3 posts
Posted - 2019/03/07 :  19:33:23  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit GalaxyFox's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by latininxtc:

Well arent you just a pocket full of sunshine!?
Spread some of that positivity my way big boy ;)

Edited by - GalaxyFox on 2019/03/07 19:34:16
trippnface
Advanced Member

United States
1,654 posts
trippnface has attended 21 events
Posted - 2019/03/07 :  20:17:32  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit trippnface's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:

bahahahahahaha

i love you

trippnface
Advanced Member

United States
1,654 posts
trippnface has attended 21 events
Posted - 2019/03/07 :  20:32:35  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit trippnface's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by GalaxyFox:
quote:

Well arent you just a pocket full of sunshine!?
Spread some of that positivity my way big boy ;)

he loves us. he really does

djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2019/03/07 :  20:45:21  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage  Reply with quote
That's probably the nicest thing he's ever said!

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.53 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page