Radio listeners 168+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - other genre
 EDM subgenres

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Sulphurik Video with 120 subgenres of EDM! I know there's many subgenres but wouldn't have said as many as this. There are some subgenres that aren't on this list eg. hands up. Some of these subgenres are similar to others and too many subgenres in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTUDKu3BL7c&t=381s
Triquatra Think whoever made it is probably quite young/didn't listen to dance music during the 90s. It's fairly solid, but most of the examples and uses of genre seem to be post 2006.

Progressive Trance, progressive house for instance, happy hardcore (obviously)

I don't know what they're playing at for 'Hard House'. They've put a track thats more speed garage than uk garage as uk garage and then ...I swear that's not the original original ripgroove - it's like some redone and remastered version. Not that that's an issue but as it's such a modern list it gives of this 'the 90s never happened, I'm embarresed about it' vibe.

Still, whilst 'edm' is a cringey blanket term at least they're not calling everything 'techno', so that's a step up.

**edit**
That all sounds bitchier than it should do - I genuinely think it's a pretty cool youtube vid for how things are labelled these days. I've pulled out like 5 'mistakes' out of 120 some of which aren't really mistakes.... :D

Samination
quote:
Originally posted by Triquatra:
Think whoever made it is probably quite young/didn't listen to dance music during the 90s. It's fairly solid, but most of the examples and uses of genre seem to be post 2006.

Progressive Trance, progressive house for instance, happy hardcore (obviously)

I don't know what they're playing at for 'Hard House'. They've put a track thats more speed garage than uk garage as uk garage and then ...I swear that's not the original original ripgroove - it's like some redone and remastered version. Not that that's an issue but as it's such a modern list it gives of this 'the 90s never happened, I'm embarresed about it' vibe.

Still, whilst 'edm' is a cringey blanket term at least they're not calling everything 'techno', so that's a step up.

**edit**
That all sounds bitchier than it should do - I genuinely think it's a pretty cool youtube vid for how things are labelled these days. I've pulled out like 5 'mistakes' out of 120 some of which aren't really mistakes.... :D

People still complain about Ishkur after all :P

But back to the video and to be honest, i kind of dislike how the basically lumped all brittish styled hardcore into one sample
Impulse_Response I didn't watch the video, but my view is still that EDM is a broad class of popular electronic music, especially big room, trap, and dubstep, rather than an actual style of music. I personally would not label things like classic trance and UK hardcore as EDM.

I'm nitpicking, of course. It's like being an engineer and caring when people use "screw" and "bolt" interchangeably.
Sulphurik Other subgenres that could be added to this list

Trancecore/ Freeform
Italodisco/ Italodance
Slowstyle but is a form of Lento Violento

Smoogie Good choice for Breakbeat Hardcore but The Happy Hardcore/ UK Hardcore choice should have been separate.

But where are these genres?

Jungle
Rotterdam Hardcore
Belgium Techno
Hard House (Their choice of Hard House was another Hardstyle)
Hard Bounce
Donk (Sometimes regarded as different to above)
Freeform
Italio House
Piano House?
hevan
quote:
Originally posted by Impulse_Response:
I didn't watch the video, but my view is still that EDM is a broad class of popular electronic music, especially big room, trap, and dubstep, rather than an actual style of music. I personally would not label things like classic trance and UK hardcore as EDM.

I'm nitpicking, of course. It's like being an engineer and caring when people use "screw" and "bolt" interchangeably.

big room, trap, and..... dubstep? nah.
hevan I was surprised they used actual dubstep for the example instead of Excision or some other loud NA shit lol. Was also surprised they differentiated between DnB and neuro, imo kinda unnecessary. Wish they had differentiated between UK and happy hardcore instead :)
Impulse_Response
quote:
Originally posted by hevan:
quote:
Originally posted by Impulse_Response:
I didn't watch the video, but my view is still that EDM is a broad class of popular electronic music, especially big room, trap, and dubstep, rather than an actual style of music. I personally would not label things like classic trance and UK hardcore as EDM.

big room, trap, and..... dubstep? nah.

Just going off the popular styles I saw. If it's popular enough to play at A&M, it must be popular.
Sulphurik Liking sound of this remix

Warnman
quote:
Originally posted by Sulphurik:
Liking sound of this remix

This one is one of the rave anthems of the last few months, which I truely love! Thank you very much for mentioning it!
Sulphurik
Sulphurik

It took 1.11 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page