Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music discussion - other genre
 EDM subgenres
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Sulphurik
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
954 posts
Posted - 2021/03/05 :  17:04:35  Show profile Send a private message
Video with 120 subgenres of EDM! I know there's many subgenres but wouldn't have said as many as this. There are some subgenres that aren't on this list eg. hands up. Some of these subgenres are similar to others and too many subgenres in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTUDKu3BL7c&t=381s

Alert moderator

Edited by - Sulphurik on 2021/03/05 17:08:54
Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Triquatra is a site donation subscriber Triquatra has attended 26 events
Posted - 2021/03/06 :  12:43:46  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage
Think whoever made it is probably quite young/didn't listen to dance music during the 90s. It's fairly solid, but most of the examples and uses of genre seem to be post 2006.

Progressive Trance, progressive house for instance, happy hardcore (obviously)

I don't know what they're playing at for 'Hard House'. They've put a track thats more speed garage than uk garage as uk garage and then ...I swear that's not the original original ripgroove - it's like some redone and remastered version. Not that that's an issue but as it's such a modern list it gives of this 'the 90s never happened, I'm embarresed about it' vibe.

Still, whilst 'edm' is a cringey blanket term at least they're not calling everything 'techno', so that's a step up.

**edit**
That all sounds bitchier than it should do - I genuinely think it's a pretty cool youtube vid for how things are labelled these days. I've pulled out like 5 'mistakes' out of 120 some of which aren't really mistakes.... :D

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Edited by - Triquatra on 2021/03/06 12:52:22
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,084 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2021/03/06 :  16:46:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Triquatra:
Think whoever made it is probably quite young/didn't listen to dance music during the 90s. It's fairly solid, but most of the examples and uses of genre seem to be post 2006.

Progressive Trance, progressive house for instance, happy hardcore (obviously)

I don't know what they're playing at for 'Hard House'. They've put a track thats more speed garage than uk garage as uk garage and then ...I swear that's not the original original ripgroove - it's like some redone and remastered version. Not that that's an issue but as it's such a modern list it gives of this 'the 90s never happened, I'm embarresed about it' vibe.

Still, whilst 'edm' is a cringey blanket term at least they're not calling everything 'techno', so that's a step up.

**edit**
That all sounds bitchier than it should do - I genuinely think it's a pretty cool youtube vid for how things are labelled these days. I've pulled out like 5 'mistakes' out of 120 some of which aren't really mistakes.... :D

People still complain about Ishkur after all :P

But back to the video and to be honest, i kind of dislike how the basically lumped all brittish styled hardcore into one sample

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Edited by - Samination on 2021/03/06 16:47:48
Impulse_Response
Advanced Member

United States
724 posts
Impulse_Response has attended 1 event
Posted - 2021/03/06 :  22:24:20  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Impulse_Response's homepage
I didn't watch the video, but my view is still that EDM is a broad class of popular electronic music, especially big room, trap, and dubstep, rather than an actual style of music. I personally would not label things like classic trance and UK hardcore as EDM.

I'm nitpicking, of course. It's like being an engineer and caring when people use "screw" and "bolt" interchangeably.

Sulphurik
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
954 posts
Posted - 2021/03/06 :  22:30:13  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Sulphurik's homepage
Other subgenres that could be added to this list

Trancecore/ Freeform
Italodisco/ Italodance
Slowstyle but is a form of Lento Violento

Smoogie
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,483 posts
Posted - 2021/03/08 :  19:27:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Smoogie's homepage
Good choice for Breakbeat Hardcore but The Happy Hardcore/ UK Hardcore choice should have been separate.

But where are these genres?

Jungle
Rotterdam Hardcore
Belgium Techno
Hard House (Their choice of Hard House was another Hardstyle)
Hard Bounce
Donk (Sometimes regarded as different to above)
Freeform
Italio House
Piano House?

hevan
Starting Member

Canada
10 posts
Posted - 2021/03/14 :  00:53:11  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit hevan's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Impulse_Response:
I didn't watch the video, but my view is still that EDM is a broad class of popular electronic music, especially big room, trap, and dubstep, rather than an actual style of music. I personally would not label things like classic trance and UK hardcore as EDM.

I'm nitpicking, of course. It's like being an engineer and caring when people use "screw" and "bolt" interchangeably.

big room, trap, and..... dubstep? nah.

hevan
Starting Member

Canada
10 posts
Posted - 2021/03/14 :  00:58:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit hevan's homepage
I was surprised they used actual dubstep for the example instead of Excision or some other loud NA shit lol. Was also surprised they differentiated between DnB and neuro, imo kinda unnecessary. Wish they had differentiated between UK and happy hardcore instead :)

Impulse_Response
Advanced Member

United States
724 posts
Impulse_Response has attended 1 event
Posted - 2021/03/14 :  03:41:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Impulse_Response's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hevan:
quote:
Originally posted by Impulse_Response:

big room, trap, and..... dubstep? nah.

Just going off the popular styles I saw. If it's popular enough to play at A&M, it must be popular.

Sulphurik
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
954 posts
Posted - 2023/05/05 :  20:47:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Sulphurik's homepage
Liking sound of this remix

Edited by - Sulphurik on 2023/05/05 20:48:01
Warnman
Advanced Member

Germany
2,676 posts
Warnman has attended 2 events
Posted - 2023/06/04 :  02:03:02  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Warnman's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Sulphurik:
Liking sound of this remix

This one is one of the rave anthems of the last few months, which I truely love! Thank you very much for mentioning it!

"Happy Hardcore: Love it... hate it... it's fun!" (Matt Stokes)

Sulphurik
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
954 posts
Posted - 2023/10/10 :  20:38:17  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Sulphurik's homepage

Sulphurik
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
954 posts
Posted - 2023/11/11 :  22:20:25  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Sulphurik's homepage

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.66 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page