Radio listeners 177+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 USA scene

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
LeVzi I saw this clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n16G03S4-y4

Yes its Gammer, but he's playing that dubby drop stuff, Kayzo's track at the start WAKE UP and then that thing he did with Styles, the remix.

OK not talking about him, im more interested in the crowd. To me, they look like youngsters just discovering Hardcore. I remember that feeling, years ago.

USA seems untapped to me, might be more popular now, that clip was 2017.

I envy them if it's catching on, they have a whole 3 decades to go back n enjoy.

Valefor S3rl sucks. There's no Stamina Records rep no lethal theory. I'm trying to get the hardcore underground scene back hit me up on facebook

Omar Neely
Omar@futureaudiocollective.com
CDJay USA scene is rescuable. It'll be a damned sight easier than the UK at any rate 😂

CDJay
kazukism92
quote:
Originally posted by Valefor:
S3rl sucks. There's no Stamina Records rep no lethal theory. I'm trying to get the hardcore underground scene back hit me up on facebook

+1 for S3RL sucks, not my taste, is a gargabe hardcore pop mixture with awkward lyrics or title (sorry). But, Cherry Pop is an exception to that rule. I don't know but is catchy.

-1 For Stamina Records or Lethal Theory (also, What happen with Lethal Theory, they're not active lately). I love these labels and the material that they brought during these active years (or since I focused the labels).

Also, S3RL made some productions and remixes at Stamina HQ.
warped_candykid The USA had a roaring Happy Hardcore scene back in the 2000s. Part of the problem is that we only had one CD series released in the States: the Happy2bHardcore series. The last Happy2bHardcore came out in 2003. So....all those wonderful albums that came out in the UK from 2003 & on wards, not many Americans knew about them unless you really looked for it. So without an easily accessible CD resource, the crowd eventually began to dwindle down. Another hit was the ending of Hullaballoo. Many Americans traveled to Canada to attend those events. I can't speak for the entire of the USA, but after 2008, Georgia (Atlanta) lost all hard dance music as electro house sweeped through the rave scene. Nashville tried to revive it's scene by throwing all age events beginning in 2006 or 2007. But with a new breed of ravers, so much was based on S3RL, Darren Styles, Hixxy, Scott Brown, & Gammer. Fracus & Darwin then made their way to spinning here. But yes, so much of our scene now days is attached to whatever Styles & Gammer are playing, and they call anything they play "Happy Hardcore". Yet, they have no collection of the 90s anthems.
rafferty
quote:
Originally posted by warped_candykid:
The USA had a roaring Happy Hardcore scene back in the 2000s. Part of the problem is that we only had one CD series released in the States: the Happy2bHardcore series. The last Happy2bHardcore came out in 2003. So....all those wonderful albums that came out in the UK from 2003 & on wards, not many Americans knew about them unless you really looked for it. So without an easily accessible CD resource, the crowd eventually began to dwindle down. Another hit was the ending of Hullaballoo. Many Americans traveled to Canada to attend those events. I can't speak for the entire of the USA, but after 2008, Georgia (Atlanta) lost all hard dance music as electro house sweeped through the rave scene. Nashville tried to revive it's scene by throwing all age events beginning in 2006 or 2007. But with a new breed of ravers, so much was based on S3RL, Darren Styles, Hixxy, Scott Brown, & Gammer. Fracus & Darwin then made their way to spinning here. But yes, so much of our scene now days is attached to whatever Styles & Gammer are playing, and they call anything they play "Happy Hardcore". Yet, they have no collection of the 90s anthems.

Styles has no collection of 90s anthems lol.. Are you serious?. Have you not heard of Force & Styles??

warped_candykid
quote:
Originally posted by rafferty:
quote:
The USA had a roaring Happy Hardcore scene back in the 2000s. Part of the problem is that we only had one CD series released in the States: the Happy2bHardcore series. The last Happy2bHardcore came out in 2003. So....all those wonderful albums that came out in the UK from 2003 & on wards, not many Americans knew about them unless you really looked for it. So without an easily accessible CD resource, the crowd eventually began to dwindle down. Another hit was the ending of Hullaballoo. Many Americans traveled to Canada to attend those events. I can't speak for the entire of the USA, but after 2008, Georgia (Atlanta) lost all hard dance music as electro house sweeped through the rave scene. Nashville tried to revive it's scene by throwing all age events beginning in 2006 or 2007. But with a new breed of ravers, so much was based on S3RL, Darren Styles, Hixxy, Scott Brown, & Gammer. Fracus & Darwin then made their way to spinning here. But yes, so much of our scene now days is attached to whatever Styles & Gammer are playing, and they call anything they play "Happy Hardcore". Yet, they have no collection of the 90s anthems.

Styles has no collection of 90s anthems lol.. Are you serious?. Have you not heard of Force & Styles??

...I'm talking about today's new generation of ravers. Gammer plays dub step and they still scream "Happy Hardcore!"
Samination
quote:
quote:
quote:

...I'm talking about today's new generation of ravers. Gammer plays dub step and they still scream "Happy Hardcore!"

It's kinda hard to get a 90's Styles collection since Hixxy doesnt appear to have any DATs for UK Dance
LeVzi
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
quote:
quote:
quote:

It's kinda hard to get a 90's Styles collection since Hixxy doesnt appear to have any DATs for UK Dance

When I heard that Hixxy owned all the rights to the UK Dance stuff, I was ****ing livid, I always knew that fat **** wanted to "be the big dog" and own everything.

One DJ / Producer / Person I have always disliked was Hixxy. Since he came into the scene, he was a tool.
SparkzMusic They aren't just discovering hardcore.

The way things are more than ever now is trends. Look at the women who go to a rugby game or visit Ireland and have a pint of Guiness for a selfie. They loathe stout and with every sip pull a face of disgust.

That's just how society is now.

People who used to go to hardcore events did so because they absolutely loved the music and the scene. They would be the ones buying all the albums and talking about it with all their friends.

A few years ago I saw a video, when Pendulum were popular and at an event this woman was saying on the video "I'm off to mosh to chase and status", as they were next up. Clearly no clue about the music, probably liked rock music and was just there because it seemed some of her friends liked that music.

It says it all that a load of those idiots are calling it "happy hardcore". I mean heck.... If they absolutely loved that music then surely they would look it up online?

I bet a lot, if not most are there getting carried away in the moment but have only attended because it seemed fashionable or on trend.
LeVzi I'm not so sure, as I read an interview with Kayzo and he was talking about how the hardcore element seems to bring more people in than the dubby stuff. He said it was because hardcore has a rebel "thing" to it.

But then having never attended anything like EDM over there, or any of their big festivals I can't really make a judgement, but if what he said was true, then they might actually have a half decent scene and I hope they do.

I have to admit, when you talk about this stuff here in the UK or USA , I think about Holland and other places in Europe and laugh as Defcon etc just goes from strength to strength and the Dutchies never have a bad party. But even that scene is infected at the moment.
95_was_the_time what are people opinions of this mix then?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl7knbM2MHk&t=1571s

for the link title being hidden it's dj Hixxy at Hard Rush 2016 Live in Los Angeles, CA

I haven't checked out hardcore since about 2008 so I got a lot of catching up to do
SparkzMusic Initial thoughts...

It must be very sweaty in that stage enclosure with those 2 big guys.

At 15:50 it seems like one of them has sat down to take a nap.

Hixxy looks completely ridiculous trying to pull off that hipster look. A man in his 40's that would perhaps be better off shopping at Jacamo, trying to be down with the kids in their 20's.

As for the mix, it's pretty good actually. Some decent tracks.
95_was_the_time haha yeah the one that sat down at the start I think was one of the MC's. I wonder what his MC name is. Is it MC Relax lol

Yeah not sure what to make of that set though, not really sure I like the direction uk hardcore has gone... there was always a bit of ripping off the latest chart tunes thing but this almost over does it imo. It just doesn't vibe off like hardcore should (in relation to the 2003-2007/8 sound.

Also because it samples (or sometimes 'interpolations') modern chart music you're gonna get the feeling from those tunes as well pretty much... which I have to say isn't a good feeling to me at all cause a lot of chart music sounds kind of dead and depressing to me... Funny to think how hardcore was once HAPPY hardcore, and then I listen to some of the piano + vocal breakdowns in this set and it just has the dead cold depressing sound that I feel is unintentionally(?) in modern chart music these days.

but yeah going off topic a bit here as I'm talking about the music and not the US scene but ehh whatever. I think Any chat is good in in this super quiet forum haha.
trippnface
quote:
Originally posted by 95_was_the_time:
what are people opinions of this mix then?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl7knbM2MHk&t=1571s

for the link title being hidden it's dj Hixxy at Hard Rush 2016 Live in Los Angeles, CA

I haven't checked out hardcore since about 2008 so I got a lot of catching up to do

cant stand all the modern sounding crap.

the whole set was basically that new styles/stonebank sound, it's so boring.

hixxy used to smash out some absolute bangers.

i seen him in 2011 and he was still on top.

ok, the end pat of the set is quality. i instantly start dancing and moving, and it's not just nostalgia. those toons were so good!
DjCirrus
quote:
Originally posted by CDJay:
USA scene is rescuable. It'll be a damned sight easier than the UK at any rate 😂

CDJay

I hope that one day in 2023 or 4 that i will be on a main stage mixing some bad*** hardcore turns and bring back our beloved music
SparkzMusic
quote:
Originally posted by DjCirrus:
quote:
USA scene is rescuable. It'll be a damned sight easier than the UK at any rate 😂

CDJay

I hope that one day in 2023 or 4 that i will be on a main stage mixing some bad*** hardcore turns and bring back our beloved music

Oh CD Jay. If your farts and whafters were any clearer, I'd swear you were trying to say you guys are the saviour of the scene.

Just like I've said before, fair play to you guys for doing what you do but you aren't the be all and end all. It's now mostly financial for you guys. It has a following. Doesn't mean you are picking up the pieces in a scene that is totally dead.

Many people still produce yet perhaps arent quite as publicised as the HU stuff. Doesn't mean the scene is dead. Lets all buy HU to and other CD Jay releases to stop it dying is a bit of a queef if you ask me.
CDJay Possibly a bit harsh. Just released another upfront compilation album, rescued yet another back cat (which has serious emotional reservations for me) and am setting up global tour nights to promote upfront UK Hardcore music and current artists. It's far from the "be all and end all" but it's something.

Edit: Also really keen to promote all shades of hardcore, the gloves and nappies are off. The days of us worrying about being called "old skool" or "drum n bass" are over. Send things, work with us. It's preferable.

CDJay
SparkzMusic But CD-Jay. Like said I respect what you are doing.

It's a slice of the scene though. You do a lot, which people appreciate but as per before, the whole if it wasnt for us. The at it's knees and so on comments are a bit big headed.

Yes the scene benefits from your own great work with stuff, which we all appreciate and respect but just like if Styles said tomorrow that he's done, the scene wouldn't be gone.

If it wasn't for you, the scene would be fine. If it wasn't for you, the scene would equally be worse off, which is highly respectable to work hard and bring so many releases to that part of the scene.

After hearing the Crescendo release mix, there's lots of lads that aren't working with a voice to put them there. Fundabounce, Core-key, Pluz, all great artists with nowhere to go?

With Martins own work... UFO remixed it.
warped_candykid
quote:
Possibly a bit harsh. Just released another upfront compilation album, rescued yet another back cat (which has serious emotional reservations for me) and am setting up global tour nights to promote upfront UK Hardcore music and current artists. It's far from the "be all and end all" but it's something.

Edit: Also really keen to promote all shades of hardcore, the gloves and nappies are off. The days of us worrying about being called "old skool" or "drum n bass" are over. Send things, work with us. It's preferable.

CDJay

I'm behind you! I think all this preserving of 90s tracks is just brilliant!
CDJay
quote:
Originally posted by SparkzMusic:
But CD-Jay. Like said I respect what you are doing.

It's a slice of the scene though. You do a lot, which people appreciate but as per before, the whole if it wasnt for us. The at it's knees and so on comments are a bit big headed.

Yes the scene benefits from your own great work with stuff, which we all appreciate and respect but just like if Styles said tomorrow that he's done, the scene wouldn't be gone.

If it wasn't for you, the scene would be fine. If it wasn't for you, the scene would equally be worse off, which is highly respectable to work hard and bring so many releases to that part of the scene.

After hearing the Crescendo release mix, there's lots of lads that aren't working with a voice to put them there. Fundabounce, Core-key, Pluz, all great artists with nowhere to go?

With Martins own work... UFO remixed it.

Right, but we've spent years trying to build a useful platform so why not engage? I really don't know where we've projected saviour exclusion status. If anything we feel utterly disengaged and underutilised whilst running outreach programs. Please go check hu comp tracklists and say we haven't tried.

Better yet, suggest what we should do. We might listen. I certainly don't feel like I have the answers 😂

CDJay
SparkzMusic CD-Jay....

It's been the same old though hasn't it. On one side there the HU stuff, with the usual crew. On the other is Stompy, VG, the proven quality artists who are the past.

Plenty of peeps still produce now and a lot of quality about them as well. So a middle ground, HappyHardcore album. People like Mansy, Si Thompson, Fundabounce.

Unless a project starter is rolled out by those who can, there's very little people can do. Im sure if you said submissions are open for an album press, or even digital release, 10 tacks, a lot of lads and lassies who are otherwise brushed aside would come up with something cracking.
CDJay Yeah, this is where you've lost me. The guys who have first debuted nearly everyone, of note, in the past decade, who have an open submission process, put out artist albums for anyone faintly worthwhile ,and actively seek material for podcasts are *actually* caustic self congratulatory scene sabateurs. Entirely hell bent on their output ruling over a scene they tried to save but if we can't... IT'S COAT HANGER TIME. Your entire verbal assault is based off me saying the USA scene is easier to save at this point. It is. I have facts and demonstrable proof.
I'm not sure where I virtue signalled by pointing out that which single cell organisms could nonetheless "see". I'm not the enemy, I never claimed to be Jesus... I'm just a guy. Yet I am a guy with a platform and desire to do good shit so why piss on that? 😂

CDJay
SparkzMusic TY for the reply.

What it comes to is me being on about, the stuff previous, it's not necessarily about this thread direct, but your comment was there and so, it's, "hey, words to say to Jay, who might see it in a thread he's commenting on".

As per previous posts... We saved the scene, we did this. If It wasn't for us.

I was saying, nobody saved any scene because the scene as a whole is f**ked right? Aparrantley Gammer has said he has made his final "core" track, Styles and co say they make hardcore yet have gone from the scene.

HU is no CX in terms of audience, which is no criticism of course as clubland is a massive commercial business.

There doesn't seem to be a proud new CDJay artist pushing his/her stuff, but the usual HU or classic bigname. I haven't seen a thread asking for material.

With that being said, I sincerely apologise with sounding harsh and stuff recently. Genuinely, as Feb and March are always difficult for myself. No excuse I know.
CDJay Gaz (Fracus) said it best quoting Stewart Lee: I'd rather have 2000 people who actually give a shit. We don't want cxh audiences who flit away at the first sign of anything shiny. Why are we supposed to chase the plastic fantastic. The dubcore movement went so badly Powerstomp got traction. Can we use counter culture to actually push good music this time?

If y'all want mega edm crowds that's great; we want a small sustainable crowd who genuinely give a shit scattered in pockets globally. That's achievable and means we can carry on. If that offends, alas I figure dues are paid to whatever scene deities exist and we'll truck along with anyone else who gives a shit and pray you don't have a traffic cop outfit / gun.

CDJay

SparkzMusic Are there really 2000 now that give a shit though?

The former scene, nobody really jumped ship. It was forced. Perhaps via greed and a sign of the times. But certainly, the audience was forced to jump.

Nobody wants the EDM scene now, but what people want is the missing gap. B and S went out too early and people think wtf? That line hadn't run its course.

Lets say then, in the last 5 years, can you honestly say there's been 5 new and up and coming artists involved in the work you have done? Who have come from, say here or just submitting their work over?
CDJay We're about to hit 20,000 discrete orders on our direct sale store. We're an indie hardcore label. We did over ?10k turnover in 24 hours on Friday. Again, we're not cxh. We don't want to be. We also don't have the overheads.

I really don't see why you're annoyed. Look at what I said: it *is* correct, by any sane metric. Clearly I've done something to warrant the spat fury but I white flagged, pleaded for forgiveness and was open for suggestions. Must I die so the scene can live?

CDJay
djDMS No point trying to reason with him, he clearly already has all the answers.

Just a pity he isn't willing to share.
danielseven Sincerely, I think these accusations of elitism, against someone that REALLY cares about keeping a high-quality standard in terms of hardcore music, are a bit too harsh.

If a label with a high-quality standard doesn't release music from other artists, it depends on many factors, but the most important, in my opinion, are these 3:

1 - The tracks, even having good potential, are still sub-par to the quality standards of the label;
2 - The artist doesn't have a proper branding (a brand isn't just having a logo or Facebook likes);
3 - The artist isn't validated enough in the industry (validation comes through good quality music and promotion).
Samination
quote:
Nobody wants the EDM scene now, but what people want is the missing gap. B and S went out too early and people think wtf? That line hadn't run its course.

IF you ask Rafferty, B&S did run their course. -5 years before they even started.
CDJay
quote:
Originally posted by danielseven:
Sincerely, I think these accusations of elitism, against someone that REALLY cares about keeping a high-quality standard in terms of hardcore music, are a bit too harsh.

If a label with a high-quality standard doesn't release music from other artists, it depends on many factors, but the most important, in my opinion, are these 3:

1 - The tracks, even having good potential, are still sub-par to the quality standards of the label;
2 - The artist doesn't have a proper branding (a brand isn't just having a logo or Facebook likes);
3 - The artist isn't validated enough in the industry (validation comes through good quality music and promotion).

It's actually

4 - despite having an open compilation series, and podcast, no one sends us anything. 😂

CDJay

CDJay
quote:
Lets say then, in the last 5 years, can you honestly say there's been 5 new and up and coming artists involved in the work you have done? Who have come from, say here or just submitting their work over?

Daniel Seven, AoS, Jason Bouse, Alaguan, Macks Wolf, Ryan Kore.

CDJay
trippnface
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by danielseven:
Sincerely, I think these accusations of elitism, against someone that REALLY cares about keeping a high-quality standard in terms of hardcore music, are a bit too harsh.

It's actually

4 - despite having an open compilation series, and podcast, no one sends us anything. 😂

CDJay

Pendarr, formerly Chasers. super talented, from the US.

https://soundcloud.com/pendarr/what-ive-learned

stuff like this needs more exposure.
Samination I thought Chaser/Pendarr lived in the Oceania?
danielseven
quote:
quote:

Daniel Seven, AoS, Jason Bouse, Alaguan, Macks Wolf, Ryan Kore.

CDJay

Alaguan is someone that will be amazing this year, I can tell you this. Also, I like pendarr too.
AoS_Lorenzo
quote:

I've appeared o DJ Tools Vol 5 & 6. I played Hard Rush:HU Edition in Los Angeles. I played 2 Hardcore Underground events in Toronto.

Gaz & Nick have been keeping an eye on me while giving me any advice they can.

I'll be more involved with Hardcore Underground projects going forward.
trippnface
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
I thought Chaser/Pendarr lived in the Oceania?

like from 1984?

jk lol

i could have sworn dude was from ohio or something.

i could be mixing chasers up mith moogle though? who also goes by a different name now?

shit hard to keep track of

It took 2.02 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page