Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 USA scene
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 3

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
LeVzi
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
944 posts
Posted - 2019/02/21 :  14:02:25  Show profile Send a private message
I saw this clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n16G03S4-y4

Yes its Gammer, but he's playing that dubby drop stuff, Kayzo's track at the start WAKE UP and then that thing he did with Styles, the remix.

OK not talking about him, im more interested in the crowd. To me, they look like youngsters just discovering Hardcore. I remember that feeling, years ago.

USA seems untapped to me, might be more popular now, that clip was 2017.

I envy them if it's catching on, they have a whole 3 decades to go back n enjoy.

Alert moderator
Valefor
Starting Member

United States
15 posts
Posted - 2019/02/21 :  17:01:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Valefor's homepage
S3rl sucks. There's no Stamina Records rep no lethal theory. I'm trying to get the hardcore underground scene back hit me up on facebook

Omar Neely
Omar@futureaudiocollective.com

Alert moderator Go to top of page
CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2019/02/21 :  17:06:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage
USA scene is rescuable. It'll be a damned sight easier than the UK at any rate 😂

CDJay

kazukism92

Chile
301 posts
Posted - 2019/02/21 :  18:04:56  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit kazukism92's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Valefor:
S3rl sucks. There's no Stamina Records rep no lethal theory. I'm trying to get the hardcore underground scene back hit me up on facebook

+1 for S3RL sucks, not my taste, is a gargabe hardcore pop mixture with awkward lyrics or title (sorry). But, Cherry Pop is an exception to that rule. I don't know but is catchy.

-1 For Stamina Records or Lethal Theory (also, What happen with Lethal Theory, they're not active lately). I love these labels and the material that they brought during these active years (or since I focused the labels).

Also, S3RL made some productions and remixes at Stamina HQ.

warped_candykid
Advanced Member

United States
3,934 posts
warped_candykid has attended 5 events
Posted - 2019/02/22 :  01:19:06  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit warped_candykid's homepage
The USA had a roaring Happy Hardcore scene back in the 2000s. Part of the problem is that we only had one CD series released in the States: the Happy2bHardcore series. The last Happy2bHardcore came out in 2003. So....all those wonderful albums that came out in the UK from 2003 & on wards, not many Americans knew about them unless you really looked for it. So without an easily accessible CD resource, the crowd eventually began to dwindle down. Another hit was the ending of Hullaballoo. Many Americans traveled to Canada to attend those events. I can't speak for the entire of the USA, but after 2008, Georgia (Atlanta) lost all hard dance music as electro house sweeped through the rave scene. Nashville tried to revive it's scene by throwing all age events beginning in 2006 or 2007. But with a new breed of ravers, so much was based on S3RL, Darren Styles, Hixxy, Scott Brown, & Gammer. Fracus & Darwin then made their way to spinning here. But yes, so much of our scene now days is attached to whatever Styles & Gammer are playing, and they call anything they play "Happy Hardcore". Yet, they have no collection of the 90s anthems.

rafferty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
621 posts
Posted - 2019/02/22 :  02:55:57  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit rafferty's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by warped_candykid:
The USA had a roaring Happy Hardcore scene back in the 2000s. Part of the problem is that we only had one CD series released in the States: the Happy2bHardcore series. The last Happy2bHardcore came out in 2003. So....all those wonderful albums that came out in the UK from 2003 & on wards, not many Americans knew about them unless you really looked for it. So without an easily accessible CD resource, the crowd eventually began to dwindle down. Another hit was the ending of Hullaballoo. Many Americans traveled to Canada to attend those events. I can't speak for the entire of the USA, but after 2008, Georgia (Atlanta) lost all hard dance music as electro house sweeped through the rave scene. Nashville tried to revive it's scene by throwing all age events beginning in 2006 or 2007. But with a new breed of ravers, so much was based on S3RL, Darren Styles, Hixxy, Scott Brown, & Gammer. Fracus & Darwin then made their way to spinning here. But yes, so much of our scene now days is attached to whatever Styles & Gammer are playing, and they call anything they play "Happy Hardcore". Yet, they have no collection of the 90s anthems.

Styles has no collection of 90s anthems lol.. Are you serious?. Have you not heard of Force & Styles??

Candy & anime was just a faze & a total embarrassment that everyone mocks and laughs at now.

warped_candykid
Advanced Member

United States
3,934 posts
warped_candykid has attended 5 events
Posted - 2019/02/22 :  04:58:20  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit warped_candykid's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by rafferty:
quote:

Styles has no collection of 90s anthems lol.. Are you serious?. Have you not heard of Force & Styles??

...I'm talking about today's new generation of ravers. Gammer plays dub step and they still scream "Happy Hardcore!"

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,072 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2019/02/22 :  05:34:20  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
quote:
quote:
quote:

...I'm talking about today's new generation of ravers. Gammer plays dub step and they still scream "Happy Hardcore!"

It's kinda hard to get a 90's Styles collection since Hixxy doesnt appear to have any DATs for UK Dance

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

LeVzi
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
944 posts
Posted - 2019/02/22 :  06:19:08  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit LeVzi's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
quote:
quote:
quote:

It's kinda hard to get a 90's Styles collection since Hixxy doesnt appear to have any DATs for UK Dance

When I heard that Hixxy owned all the rights to the UK Dance stuff, I was ****ing livid, I always knew that fat **** wanted to "be the big dog" and own everything.

One DJ / Producer / Person I have always disliked was Hixxy. Since he came into the scene, he was a tool.

SparkzMusic

Zimbabwe
334 posts
Posted - 2019/02/22 :  20:37:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit SparkzMusic's homepage
They aren't just discovering hardcore.

The way things are more than ever now is trends. Look at the women who go to a rugby game or visit Ireland and have a pint of Guiness for a selfie. They loathe stout and with every sip pull a face of disgust.

That's just how society is now.

People who used to go to hardcore events did so because they absolutely loved the music and the scene. They would be the ones buying all the albums and talking about it with all their friends.

A few years ago I saw a video, when Pendulum were popular and at an event this woman was saying on the video "I'm off to mosh to chase and status", as they were next up. Clearly no clue about the music, probably liked rock music and was just there because it seemed some of her friends liked that music.

It says it all that a load of those idiots are calling it "happy hardcore". I mean heck.... If they absolutely loved that music then surely they would look it up online?

I bet a lot, if not most are there getting carried away in the moment but have only attended because it seemed fashionable or on trend.

LeVzi
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
944 posts
Posted - 2019/02/23 :  09:31:04  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit LeVzi's homepage
I'm not so sure, as I read an interview with Kayzo and he was talking about how the hardcore element seems to bring more people in than the dubby stuff. He said it was because hardcore has a rebel "thing" to it.

But then having never attended anything like EDM over there, or any of their big festivals I can't really make a judgement, but if what he said was true, then they might actually have a half decent scene and I hope they do.

I have to admit, when you talk about this stuff here in the UK or USA , I think about Holland and other places in Europe and laugh as Defcon etc just goes from strength to strength and the Dutchies never have a bad party. But even that scene is infected at the moment.

95_was_the_time
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,285 posts
Posted - 2019/02/23 :  16:26:06  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit 95_was_the_time's homepage
what are people opinions of this mix then?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl7knbM2MHk&t=1571s

for the link title being hidden it's dj Hixxy at Hard Rush 2016 Live in Los Angeles, CA

I haven't checked out hardcore since about 2008 so I got a lot of catching up to do

SparkzMusic

Zimbabwe
334 posts
Posted - 2019/02/23 :  17:30:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit SparkzMusic's homepage
Initial thoughts...

It must be very sweaty in that stage enclosure with those 2 big guys.

At 15:50 it seems like one of them has sat down to take a nap.

Hixxy looks completely ridiculous trying to pull off that hipster look. A man in his 40's that would perhaps be better off shopping at Jacamo, trying to be down with the kids in their 20's.

As for the mix, it's pretty good actually. Some decent tracks.

95_was_the_time
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,285 posts
Posted - 2019/02/24 :  04:00:57  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit 95_was_the_time's homepage
haha yeah the one that sat down at the start I think was one of the MC's. I wonder what his MC name is. Is it MC Relax lol

Yeah not sure what to make of that set though, not really sure I like the direction uk hardcore has gone... there was always a bit of ripping off the latest chart tunes thing but this almost over does it imo. It just doesn't vibe off like hardcore should (in relation to the 2003-2007/8 sound.

Also because it samples (or sometimes 'interpolations') modern chart music you're gonna get the feeling from those tunes as well pretty much... which I have to say isn't a good feeling to me at all cause a lot of chart music sounds kind of dead and depressing to me... Funny to think how hardcore was once HAPPY hardcore, and then I listen to some of the piano + vocal breakdowns in this set and it just has the dead cold depressing sound that I feel is unintentionally(?) in modern chart music these days.

but yeah going off topic a bit here as I'm talking about the music and not the US scene but ehh whatever. I think Any chat is good in in this super quiet forum haha.

trippnface
Advanced Member

United States
1,654 posts
trippnface has attended 21 events
Posted - 2019/02/24 :  04:15:46  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit trippnface's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by 95_was_the_time:
what are people opinions of this mix then?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl7knbM2MHk&t=1571s

for the link title being hidden it's dj Hixxy at Hard Rush 2016 Live in Los Angeles, CA

I haven't checked out hardcore since about 2008 so I got a lot of catching up to do

cant stand all the modern sounding crap.

the whole set was basically that new styles/stonebank sound, it's so boring.

hixxy used to smash out some absolute bangers.

i seen him in 2011 and he was still on top.

ok, the end pat of the set is quality. i instantly start dancing and moving, and it's not just nostalgia. those toons were so good!

Edited by - trippnface on 2019/02/24 04:19:30
DjCirrus

United States
61 posts
Posted - 2019/02/24 :  04:34:50  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DjCirrus's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by CDJay:
USA scene is rescuable. It'll be a damned sight easier than the UK at any rate 😂

CDJay

I hope that one day in 2023 or 4 that i will be on a main stage mixing some bad*** hardcore turns and bring back our beloved music

Edited by - DjCirrus on 2019/02/24 04:37:24

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 3 pages long: 1  2  3
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.95 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page