Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 General discussion
 Girlie Gettin' Started in DJing
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
huggablez420

United States
34 posts
Posted - 2001/09/26 :  10:59:00  Show profile Send a private message  Visit huggablez420's homepage
Okay, so I'm totally psyched! I'm finally going to be able to get serious about learning to spin, and OF COURSE, my trax will be predominantly HAPPY HARDCORE @:D

Does anyone here have any advice for me along the lines of what tracks would be good to start learning on? I'd also love to hear any other tips (and/or encouragement, cause I'm gonna need it being in Chicago and all).

Alert moderator
Elation
Average Member

Canada
232 posts
Posted - 2001/09/26 :  14:41:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elation's homepage
learning to spin is alot eaiser if you have a couple of tunes that start out with kick drums and slowly build.
if you get tunes that are full on, then youll feel like youre drowning in the chaos. you need to be able to separate the two tracks in your mind, but still be able to make them one. this about the hardest thing to get over, being able to tell what track is what.
learning how to drop a record at the right point or getting it cued up is important . the end of a breakdown, or on a 4-4 time cycle is usually where it happens. you need to loosen up your wrist to feel the record and be able to pull it back and forth (kinda like scratching) to them let it drop and it be on cue. as soon as you drop it be ready to move the pitch slider.
do you have anyone to learn from??? cause if you do, then if you get a double head phone jack, plug two sets in and you can listen to the same thing the DJ is doing. cueing the record and such.
its kinda hard to explain it. its eaiser if youre shown how. so ill be there soon k. lol. just kidding. anyways, i hope this can start you out. just keep at it and try not to get discuraged. it will take alot of practice and dedication, but the end result is one of the most satisfying experiences you will ever have.

(:(:happyhardcoresmiles:):)

Alert moderator Go to top of page
huggablez420

United States
34 posts
Posted - 2001/09/27 :  15:50:35  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit huggablez420's homepage
Thankx a LOT for the advice about getting an extra set of headphones. That's a great idea! I do have someone to learn from, but I don't know ANY HHC djs personally, so my progressive trance and jungle dj friends are getting me started.

Can I get some advice on which HHC tracks, specifically, would be good to learn to mix on. I have the full-length track of Eye Opener on my computer, and it seems to have a pretty solid opening beat without a lot of confusion. It's fun to mix on the computer, so perhaps I should see if I can get that... hummm... @:)

"Open your eyes, see all the love in me..."

P.L.U.R!

milo
Advanced Member

Canada
3,391 posts

347 hardcore releases
milo is verified hardcore artist milo has attended 89 events
Posted - 2001/09/27 :  18:58:45  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit milo's homepage
get the tracks YOU like, that way when you purchase recods it'll have more of a trend so they'll be more similar, and it'll be a style unique to you. as for specific tracks to learn for, just listen for a solid bass like elation said. when you mix, that will usually be the main thing you listen for when you start because it's the easiest to notice. Basically re-read elations post, because i'm trying to think of things new to add, but it's all what he said =P. I started spinning a little over a year ago so i'm not sure if i'm the person to be dishing help, but hey =) if you've got questions just drop me a line.

Tyrant
Average Member

Canada
239 posts
Posted - 2001/09/28 :  20:50:07  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Tyrant's homepage
i started not too long ago... what i find most helpful is trying to beatmatch many different types of styles. Like, i have progressive house, trance, some nu-nrg and an arseload of freeform(which is the style i'm most serious about)... but i found that practicing beatmatching with my progressive house rekkids helped me to beatmatch freeform more accurately.

Aside from that, practice practice practice. Make tapes of your mixes and listen to them. Analyze. Make notes. and have fun

A wise man once said duh.

pacman
Advanced Member

Australia
1,132 posts

190 hardcore releases
pacman has attended 8 events
Posted - 2001/09/28 :  22:05:46  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit pacman's homepage
kinda what elation said..... but i think what tyrant said is one of the best techniques.... tape your mixes (if possible) and listen back....
the first time i did i thought my mixing was not too bad and then when i listened back i thought it was shite.... but i could correct everything....

another thing to add i think is don't always practice with the same tracks.... i know it's hard when you're starting coz you don't have that many records but set yourself aside say an hour and do a continuos mix.... play all your b-sides and such... that way you will get a feel for all your tracks and you won't just be mixing the same thing..... the best djs know all their tracks back to front.....

anyway i think i can say that you have started one of the most expensive and addictive habits there is. but also the funnest.... good luck with it!!!!

drugs is not the answer... drugs? is the question... yes is the answer

Tyrant
Average Member

Canada
239 posts
Posted - 2001/09/29 :  13:50:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Tyrant's homepage
expensive indeed
i've started selling crack for records

Elation
Average Member

Canada
232 posts
Posted - 2001/09/29 :  19:57:59  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elation's homepage
definitly...what pac man said...record everything you do and then listen to it. i even record a whole tape of just full songs with no mixing, then listen to that over and over and over...youll be able to pick up on the new sounds that are added and pick out little crossfade breaks and things like that.

what tyrant said too...about spining trance. alot of trance tunes have really long kik drum intros, so are good for catching the beat.

deejaybee
Average Member

United Kingdom
193 posts
deejaybee is verified hardcore artist deejaybee has attended 5 events
Posted - 2001/10/01 :  08:40:32  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message
Yeah,

Try to mix the vinyl twice the speed, sounds weired? i know but it works, if you can mix Hardcore at twice the speed i.e 33rpm on 45rpm then when u slow it down it becomes easy! Like going from hardcore to trance - easy!

The other thing is dont make that mistake of thinking if you put two records on at the same speed and pitch they will automatically mix together! loads of new starters do that! mix the beats not the melodys and chorus's so that means speed up and slow down the record until you have a constant steady beat and then u are away!

Deejay Bee

Hardcore Ravers Visit - www.benpaul.uklinux.net

Elation
Average Member

Canada
232 posts
Posted - 2001/10/01 :  22:01:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elation's homepage
that double the speed thing sounds really messed up. it seems like youd complicate things way more than you need to. whatever you do i guess...

Tyrant
Average Member

Canada
239 posts
Posted - 2001/10/01 :  23:57:45  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Tyrant's homepage
haha i find mixing hardcore easier than mixing trance

DJ Mouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,687 posts
DJ Mouse has attended 1 event
Posted - 2001/10/02 :  08:16:35  Show profile  Send a private message
i gotta agree with tyrant there,hhc is easier for me to mix than trance,yet everyone else struggles with it! *shrugs* weird eh?

djm
it's like a dream,no end and no beginning...

pacman
Advanced Member

Australia
1,132 posts

190 hardcore releases
pacman has attended 8 events
Posted - 2001/10/02 :  19:33:45  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit pacman's homepage
same..... i pulled out some of my old trance stuff the other day and it was heaps harder!!!!!

drugs is not the answer... drugs? is the question... yes is the answer

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.8 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page