Page: 
of 3

Author Thread  
silver
Admin

Japan
12,547 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2004/02/03 :  02:09:50  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Mouse:
ps. if ya think you can live off royalties then think again. its something like a few pence per unit, and in a scene like ours not many units will be sold. not worth the effort.

Thats the worst comment I have ever heard...

To everyone else complaining about tape packs and CD's I thought you all had more intelligence... what the **** is wrong with paying artists?

Second, when you buy a vinyl you don't own the track, you can't copy it, you can't do anything, the labels and artists have been quite fair about this but when a massive event promotor releases a CD pack of all those artists new tunes, does not tell anyone they are recordings and charges 15 pounds for the pack with no money going to the people that made those tunes, just to the promotor then that is wrong... very ****ing wrong... and if you think otherwise your freaking stupid.

Don't give me shit that that money will go back into making the events bigger, all they had to do is give a tiny 18% to the artists and everyone would be happy. That 18% then would make more hardcore tunes. The event promotors are selling something they don't even own... it's like selling air - They don't own it to sell it!

15 pounds is more than a regular hardcore CD and those companies that release these CD's manage to give 18% to the artists without a problem, so if the price increases on tape packs it is because of the greedy promotor!

This topic has me so pissed off...

Alert moderator Go to top of page
DarrenJ
Advanced Member

Australia
2,626 posts
DarrenJ has attended 12 events
Posted - 2004/02/03 :  03:03:29  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DarrenJ's homepage  Reply with quote
I think its great, I live in Aus and I have seen 3 or 4 Cd's baised on live Hardcore events...dunno if they were licenced (well the MOH one was duh)
I think in no way does Australian hardcore scene depend on these cds...insane to think a scene depends on bootlegging
The artist will get paid, which will help them make more great tunes for us to enjoy

well I, I will, I will hardcore

GregE
Average Member

Australia
183 posts
GregE has attended 3 events
Posted - 2004/02/03 :  06:46:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit GregE's homepage  Reply with quote
OK, some points of clarification.
1, by Mix CD i am talking about somting produced BY DJ's, that is NOT sold for profit...ie i mix CD give to u "have a listen tell me what u think" or "here man give me me $ or a blank CD and i will do u some sets
2, Silver 100% with u someone is making money OFF the CD (ie selling it for a PROFIT) then yes $$$$ should be given to artist.
3, $10AUS for a CD = bout 2 pound...if a promoter sells the shit for that much they yeah stick their balls in a vice till they cough up the $$$
4, i am not saying that it would go into making bigger and better parties, i am just saying that the break even would be 18% higher, or dependant on how u read it it may be 18% per lable...either way an 18% higher break even = 18% (or more) hike in the cost of a ticket..
i aint trying to jip people out of $, i am just trying to work out WTF is wrong with the way things are now (excepting people makeing PROFIT with out paying royalities)
on that note is every single track that u play on HHC radio licenced??? do u pay royalities off the advertising on this site???
darenJ "I think in no way does Australian hardcore scene depend on these cds" u just admitted listening to them.....u just contrdicted your own statment....
OUT
GregE

I EAT KANGEROOS!!!

DarrenJ
Advanced Member

Australia
2,626 posts
DarrenJ has attended 12 events
Posted - 2004/02/03 :  08:07:10  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DarrenJ's homepage  Reply with quote
" u just admitted listening to them.....u just contrdicted your own statment...."
I havnt listened to a illegal mix cd....
Iv seen them but always gone for a QUALITY cd
I would rather a bonkers, DJ mixed or a artists/record labels lp then a cd like "ultra sonic live in sydney 2002"
anyway Mc's are annoying :P dont get them on studio mix CD's

edit: I think silver is doing th best he can I make this site go well, and its a great site...he isnt made of money, and I dont think he is profitting since he asks politly for donations... Im sure they are licenced or has permission from the labels

well I, I will, I will hardcore

Edited by - DarrenJ on 2004/02/03 08:11:43
silver
Admin

Japan
12,547 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2004/02/03 :  09:58:26  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by GregE:
on that note is every single track that u play on HHC radio licenced???

Yes, because our broadcast point is from New York we pay the RIAA for an online radio broadcast license.

DJ Mouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,687 posts
DJ Mouse has attended 1 event
Posted - 2004/02/03 :  14:01:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
woah didn't think i'd get a reaction like that silver. apologies i'll take it back. i never realised it was 18%, thought it was something like 2% hence why i said it wasn't worth the effort.

so in that case,yeh you're right. a fifth of the profits to the artists would go a long way,and hardly breaking the promotor's bank coz of all the other merchandise and profits from the night itself

--------------------------------------------------
"I had 2 half-brothers and they both died, so Mummy took the chainsaw off me"

DJ Mouse
http://hardcorehq.tk

mrc
Average Member

United Kingdom
214 posts
mrc has attended 6 events
Posted - 2004/02/04 :  08:07:46  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
i spoke to my Music Business tutor yesterday about this, she has experiance of running an undergroud lable and cuttin room. I didnt talk much about the royalty issue, more the history side.

I had nothing to do with the seen around 10 years as i was 9 but i seems if i was id be raving (ILEGALLY) in a factory or warehouse listening to (UNLICENCED) material containig (AGAIN UNLICENCED) sampls.

It was ok 2do it then....how ironic??????

Lets not 4get how big (or small) this seen is. it runs on different rules and has broken so many laws in the past (regarding drugs and music) and will probibily continue to do so.

Has the can of worms been opened?

The people who support this seen (and by this im talking about the consumer who pays, as a group, for the majority of everything within the seen) could have a wider range of selection of music, lower ticket prices and bigger events simply by listening to any other form of more established music, but they dont. why? cuz we love the music and the seen, tape pacs are a part of this. I think there will be some happy people in the major record companies.

I fully understand that these dj's deserve recognition for what they have done, there are some dj's who deserve more than theyll ever receve but i think this coud be bighting the hand that feeds them just a little too hard.

oh s*it man, what was i saying?

DJ Mouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,687 posts
DJ Mouse has attended 1 event
Posted - 2004/02/04 :  13:16:23  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
hmm,music business
are ya at hudds tech by any chance?

--------------------------------------------------
"I had 2 half-brothers and they both died, so Mummy took the chainsaw off me"

DJ Mouse
http://hardcorehq.tk

mrc
Average Member

United Kingdom
214 posts
mrc has attended 6 events
Posted - 2004/02/04 :  16:30:04  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
yer m8, u been there?

oh s*it man, what was i saying?

Midway_raver
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,032 posts
Midway_raver has attended 2 events
Posted - 2004/02/05 :  00:18:11  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
quote:
15 pounds is more than a regular hardcore CD and those companies that release these CD's manage to give 18% to the artists without a problem, so if the price increases on tape packs it is because of the greedy promotor!

But u forget a cd has to licencse ALOT less tracks. if theres 12 dj's in a pack each playing i dunno 20 tunes, that alot of money to fork out for licensing!!!

I ask ANY dj on here, wud u ov got where u are today if u hadn't have broke copywright laws sumwhere?!?!?

Also to the established artists where's the money you owe other artists for ripping there tracks!!?? I'm not agenst ripped tunes i love alot of em but if u want paying royalties then start paying them urselves 2 da artists who deserve them!! Otherwise drop the tape pack issue, if you don't it's totally hypocritical!!

You will not laugh, You will not cry, You will learn by the numbers!

Underloop
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,895 posts

91 hardcore releases
Underloop has donated money to the site Underloop has attended 5 events
Posted - 2004/02/05 :  09:34:04  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Underloop's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Midway_raver:
But u forget a cd has to licencse ALOT less tracks. if theres 12 dj's in a pack each playing i dunno 20 tunes, that alot of money to fork out for licensing!!!

No, its a flat percentage of what you sell it for that you have to pay to the mcps (and whatever other organisations - PRS and PPL too I think). This percentage of the selling price then gets split down between all the artists featured on the CD/Tape.

So, it doesn't cost any more to put more tracks on it, it just means that the artists get less per track.

Thats my understanding of it at least. I'm sure somebody more experienced will correct me if I'm wrong.

Matthew aka DJ Underloop

Midway_raver
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,032 posts
Midway_raver has attended 2 events
Posted - 2004/02/05 :  23:11:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Midway_raver:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, its a flat percentage of what you sell it for that you have to pay to the mcps (and whatever other organisations - PRS and PPL too I think). This percentage of the selling price then gets split down between all the artists featured on the CD/Tape.

So, it doesn't cost any more to put more tracks on it, it just means that the artists get less per track.

Thats my understanding of it at least. I'm sure somebody more experienced will correct me if I'm wrong.

Oops, my limited knowledge of the music biz showing thru agen

You will not laugh, You will not cry, You will learn by the numbers!

genericrevolution
Average Member

United Kingdom
173 posts
genericrevolution has attended 1 event
Posted - 2004/02/13 :  09:31:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit genericrevolution's homepage  Reply with quote
artist: Jack Goff <<makes a tune presses it on white label and his distributing record company sends it out on Jack's behalf (with his blessing) because jack wants people to hear and buy it when it is released etc...

DJ: eg Slipmatt <<< is sent this tune to try out on the crowd as a white label promo! and is given a sheet to complete and send back to distributing company re: reactions and thoughts (normal proceedure)...

so slipmatt tries tune out a slammin vinyl and then everyone who buys a tape pack then has this tune on it. (but slipmatt was asked to try it why should he pay royalties) - by demand of ravers > tape packs released of nite (why should slammin vinyl pay out royalties of what DJ's play - plus they have already paid the DJ's for playing a set that they have very limited input on)

Jack then hears this tape pack and is well pleased that Godfather Slipmatt has played his choon and everyone loves it... he then releases the choon and everyone is fighting at record shops to buy it (he gets a percentage cut of profit from distributor when sales are complete)

but then Bonkers also want to put it on their new album (jack should get royalties from this)

slipmatt does a album CD for release - he should pay royalties for this album.

but then slipmatt plays another set for another rave - he should NOT pay royalties for this set. the rave should also not have to pay royalties either..

so joe bloggs walks into record shop and buys Jack's new choon... he mixes a CD for SALE IN SHOPS - joe should pay royalties on this... but then joe gifts out a stack of CD's to mates and companies to hear him he should not have to pay royalties for this!

well thats how I see it... clear as mud

mr bishi
Advanced Member

Ireland
874 posts

49 hardcore releases
mr bishi has attended 16 events
Posted - 2004/02/24 :  00:22:56  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Silver:

This topic has me so pissed off...

I had a feeling it would,its always been clear you are not the biggest fan of piracy :p

My opinion is that as long as people aren't getting in shite for passing out demos and the like,i don't mind an extra few quid on tape pack if the money is going to the artist not slammin.

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think
not."

Homer Jay Simpson

genericrevolution
Average Member

United Kingdom
173 posts
genericrevolution has attended 1 event
Posted - 2004/02/25 :  09:49:33  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit genericrevolution's homepage  Reply with quote
and as long as I can mix and upload my set for people to download without getting spanked for it... I don't mind!!!

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 3 pages long: 1  2  3
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.41 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page