Printer friendly
Page: 
of 56

Author Thread  
CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2018/03/03 :  18:05:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage  Reply with quote
I'm going to have a holiday soon, and I will be far less menstrual after that. Lol

CDJay

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Alexbturbo

United Kingdom
113 posts
Posted - 2018/03/03 :  20:43:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Alexbturbo's homepage  Reply with quote
I assume, at this stage, it's too late to get the completionist edition?

Haven't had the funds available the last couple of months but do now - but I would assume by now the completionist / catalogue edition is sold out?

arpz
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,267 posts
arpz has attended 22 events
Posted - 2018/03/03 :  20:50:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit arpz's homepage  Reply with quote
http://www.hardcoreunderground.co.uk/store/view/sharkey-tech-noir-anthology-completionist-edition

Still available - I don't know for sure but I expect if you want stuff signed you'll need to get it ordered quickly because CDJay was planning on doing that before all the snow in the UK so it must be happening fairly soon

scottyd2k9
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
749 posts
Posted - 2018/03/03 :  23:08:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit scottyd2k9's homepage  Reply with quote
It says completionist batch 2 but where is 1 ? Sorry it might just be me being dumb. Is batch 1 the stem mix ?

I have CD1,2,3,4 and the stem mix tracks

scottyd2k9
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
749 posts
Posted - 2018/03/03 :  23:24:03  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit scottyd2k9's homepage  Reply with quote
Ive purchased completionist edition but not received the CD yet. Also will it be signed ?

forgot to add. Thanks CDjay. I really do appreciate the time gone into releasing these.
I couldn't wait for this to be released :D
Ever since I heard sharkey - the awakening

Edited by - scottyd2k9 on 2018/03/03 23:41:25
Ikstra

United Kingdom
85 posts
Posted - 2018/03/04 :  00:18:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Ikstra's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by scottyd2k9:
It says completionist batch 2 but where is 1 ? Sorry it might just be me being dumb. Is batch 1 the stem mix ?

I have CD1,2,3,4 and the stem mix tracks

Tech Noir Stem Mix Tracks is listed as TNCOMP1. Almost certainly the first batch.

CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2018/03/04 :  16:11:20  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage  Reply with quote
Correct on all counts!

115 tracks already available for completionist types, with more to come

CDJay

Missingno

Chile
32 posts
Posted - 2018/03/06 :  13:29:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Missingno's homepage  Reply with quote
I loved the third bundle, thanks to CDJay for the great efforts put in.

Before anything else, and as I did previously, I am extremely grateful for all those who have been involved in this huge project and I appreciate the hard work involving the DAT ripping and restoring. Yes, I have also been involved in restoring projects of old Makina DAT tapes and I know how tough and time consuming it is trying to restore bitwise a partially damaged DAT.

That being said, and insisting again on my gratefulness and admiration for all those involved in the restoration of Sharkey's and "Bonkers" label's discography, allow me to point out a couple of flaws that I have noticed in the last batch.

In first place, and as the user Trainwreck has indicated, there is undoubtely a flaw in Ultraworld 5 at 1:37, where a skip clearly occurs, missing about 10 seconds of the song. Could this be fixed? If it is not possible, I offer myself to restore it using the last track of Sharkey's set in Bonkers 2, where Ultraworld 5 is featured with no appreciable vinyl noise at that passage, and thus this could be properly restored if done carefully. Also, there is something in this track that concerns me. If one listens to the very end, in which the last sound fades out through a reverb effect, it can be appreciated that some artifacts occur. According to my own experience, these kind of artifacts usually happen in DAT tapes with poor condition. This may be somehow related with the aforementioned skip at an earlier stage of the song.

In second place, there is also the case of Sharkey & Trixxy - Genesis. After listening carefully and meticulously to Therapy, I have concluded that this track is legitimally sourced from a digital format, most likely a DAT tape. However, I have found out that in the case of Genesis it is not the case, which is instead sourced most likely from vinyl. There are two ways to find out whether a song is sourced from vinyl or not, and Genesis failed both tests when I analyzed it.

1. The most obvious one, the presence of clicks and vinyl noise. If you put your headphones and turn up the volume to the maximum value just when the song is ending, you will find out that there is clearly vinyl noise that pops up as the last sounds of the song are fading out.

2. A not so obvious one, but very useful to catch cleaned-up vinyl rips. By the nature of the vinyls themselves, the grooves of a vinyl have a smaller radius as the song advances. Since the vinyl is always spinning at the same speed, this means that the sound information is more and more compressed as the needle reaches the grooves from the end, which therefore means that in a vinyl rip the sound quality decreses as the song advances. This quality loss is especially remarkable in terms of a distortion of the low frequencies and loss of high frequences, in which, for instance, the sounds with high frequencies such as hi hats sound much lower at the end passages with respect to the starting ones. Therefore, even if a vinyl rip has been properly cleaned up, there is still this gradual quality loss as the song advances, because in the inner grooves there is the same information to be read in less physical space (circumferences with a smaller radius than the outer ones).

Returning now to the main topic involving Genesis, this song has failed both tests, in the sense that both vinyl clicks can be clearly appreciated at the end of the song and that the hi hats sound much louder in the passages from the beginning of the song than in the ending ones, which clearly confirms it as a vinyl rip.

Taking into account this, my doubt concerns whether for some reason it was used a hypothetical DAT tape containing a vinyl rip (probably due to the destruction/degradation of a hypothetical former DAT tape containing the legit digital master) or if it has been directly ripped from a vinyl to include it in this bundle. Regardless of the case, I would like to know whether Genesis can be obtained from another source (for instance, a different DAT tape, which might exist elsewhere), since maybe the legit digital master could be contained therein.

In any case, many thanks for everything. Despite the aforementioned flaws, I am very happy with this praiseworthy restoration of this huge amount of musical patrimony.

Edited by - Missingno on 2018/03/06 13:39:37
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,070 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2018/03/06 :  14:31:43  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage  Reply with quote
I also noticed that Time after Time has a little skip (or a pause, since it doesnt seem like it actually skips) at ~3:20, with a little something just before

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Edited by - Samination on 2018/03/06 14:34:29
Alexbturbo

United Kingdom
113 posts
Posted - 2018/03/06 :  15:52:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Alexbturbo's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by arpz:
http://www.hardcoreunderground.co.uk/store/view/sharkey-tech-noir-anthology-completionist-edition

Still available - I don't know for sure but I expect if you want stuff signed you'll need to get it ordered quickly because CDJay was planning on doing that before all the snow in the UK so it must be happening fairly soon

Yeah I noticed that the link was still active on Friday, but didn't want to risk placing an order as I assumed the page was probably still left up in error as i'm sure i'd read (maybe an email?) that it was meant to have been withdrawn from sale sometime around the penultimate week of February.

Turns out that must have been the case as the page is now 404 on the site, so i'll just wang in an order for the regular CD package at some point with the other recent CD's and see that happens with regards to possible / hinted at standalone bundles at some point in the future.

I'll blame my car for needing much needed resto work as to the reason why I couldn't get the completionist bundle lol

Vladel
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,514 posts
Posted - 2018/03/06 :  22:27:03  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Vladel's homepage  Reply with quote
OMG awesome CDJAY I Love you!!!!

All the major ones i wanted right there!!!!!!!

It appears my all time top 20 playlist and mix will need some adjustment.

Edited by - Vladel on 2018/03/06 22:33:41
Missingno

Chile
32 posts
Posted - 2018/03/07 :  17:25:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Missingno's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Missingno:
In first place, and as the user Trainwreck has indicated, there is undoubtely a flaw in Ultraworld 5 at 1:37, where a skip clearly occurs, missing about 10 seconds of the song. Could this be fixed? If it is not possible, I offer myself to restore it using the last track of Sharkey's set in Bonkers 2, where Ultraworld 5 is featured with no appreciable vinyl noise at that passage, and thus this could be properly restored if done carefully. Also, there is something in this track that concerns me. If one listens to the very end, in which the last sound fades out through a reverb effect, it can be appreciated that some artifacts occur. According to my own experience, these kind of artifacts usually happen in DAT tapes with poor condition. This may be somehow related with the aforementioned skip at an earlier stage of the song.

As I said, I have finally had available a bit of time to fix the flaws in Ultraworld 5 and fortunately I have been able to restore it. All I had to do is to unpitch the track appearing in Bonkers 2 to obtain the exact same BPMs than the original master, equalize it properly and paste it carefully in the affected zone. The result is very satisfactory and I think that the transitions are unappreciable.

CDJay, if you cannot rip Ultraworld 5 from the DAT without the aforementioned flaw due to a possible bad condition of the DAT tape, I can send you the restored file so that you can include it in the next bundle for everyone else.

Edited by - Missingno on 2018/03/07 17:26:07
Trainwreck
Starting Member

Australia
5 posts
Posted - 2018/03/07 :  20:55:00  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Trainwreck's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
quote:

As I said, I have finally had available a bit of time to fix the flaws in Ultraworld 5 and fortunately I have been able to restore it. All I had to do is to unpitch the track appearing in Bonkers 2 to obtain the exact same BPMs than the original master, equalize it properly and paste it carefully in the affected zone. The result is very satisfactory and I think that the transitions are unappreciable.

CDJay, if you cannot rip Ultraworld 5 from the DAT without the aforementioned flaw due to a possible bad condition of the DAT tape, I can send you the restored file so that you can include it in the next bundle for everyone else.

I would be extremely keen to hear it - thank you for doing it.

Mad Max
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,017 posts

281 hardcore releases
Mad Max has attended 26 events
Posted - 2018/03/08 :  18:18:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Mad Max's homepage  Reply with quote
Has the Hardlife album been remastered?

The Free of Form Show Every Thursday 7-9pm gmt

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,070 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2018/03/08 :  18:40:01  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Max:
Has the Hardlife album been remastered?

I haven't downloaded them, but from what I've gathered, they're sourced from the CD

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 56 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5 ... 39  40  41  ... 52  53  54  55  56
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.66 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page