Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 people hating on hardcore
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
DjCirrus

United States
61 posts
Posted - 2019/02/19 :  03:59:00  Show profile Send a private message
I post way too much on the site but I just had a conversation with a guy about this music. He was listening to the radio station with me and called this music trash and shit. Why do people hate this genre and pretty much all of "EDM" in general?

Alert moderator

Edited by - DjCirrus on 2019/02/24 03:55:17
rafferty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
621 posts
Posted - 2019/02/19 :  06:29:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit rafferty's homepage
I think the whole Candy Phase gave the scene a terrible name and was very damaging to Hardcore.
It made Hardcore one big embarassment with guys putting dummies in their mouths and wearing rainbow beads with the word plur. We became a laughing stock.

A lot of people left the scene when candy dummies and rainbows replaced horns whistles, addidas and kappa.

FROM STREETWEAR TO GAY CANDY WEAR. I blame Gatecrasher. I have nothing against gay people. But the Hardcore scene was starting to resemble something completely different to what it was about in mid to late 90s.

Anyways thank fark Candy is dieing out the scene seems to be going back to streetwear.

Traditional Hardcore Ravers Styles in this video.

Candy & anime was just a faze & a total embarrassment that everyone mocks and laughs at now.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Edited by - rafferty on 2019/02/19 06:49:58
Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Triquatra is a site donation subscriber Triquatra has attended 26 events
Posted - 2019/02/19 :  06:54:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage
Gonna go out on a limb here and say it's because people have different tastes in music.

I notice you're in the states, the ratio of people who enjoy dance music varies from country to country as people are brought up with different styles of music and different social norms. For the time I was in the states, dance music was generally disliked by most around me; they'd been brought up on rock, country and rap anything outside of that was a taboo, almost alien and certainly not cool, the dance music that did make it through the media firewall was mostly fairly bad examples and the arse of jokes - AQUA, Crazy Frog, Cascada - all cheese with no varity. The exact polar opposite of being brought up in the UK where we've had booms of hardcore > eurodance > trance > garage > speed garage, all whilst the cheese was still going on in the background.

Seeing as dance music popularity is still in its relative infancy over there it'll take a while before the kids that are growing up with it as a norm, become the adults who will be a little more open minded about these things.

But yeah, you're still going to meet people who just don't like certain types of music, that's just taste.

DjCirrus

United States
61 posts
Posted - 2019/02/19 :  23:31:01  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DjCirrus's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by rafferty:
I think the whole Candy Phase gave the scene a terrible name and was very damaging to Hardcore.
It made Hardcore one big embarassment with guys putting dummies in their mouths and wearing rainbow beads with the word plur. We became a laughing stock.

A lot of people left the scene when candy dummies and rainbows replaced horns whistles, addidas and kappa.

FROM STREETWEAR TO GAY CANDY WEAR. I blame Gatecrasher. I have nothing against gay people. But the Hardcore scene was starting to resemble something completely different to what it was about in mid to late 90s.

Anyways thank fark Candy is dieing out the scene seems to be going back to streetwear.

Traditional Hardcore Ravers Styles in this video.

Shit man, and the drugs also ruined the scene i take it as well. Well, thank God most if not all people on this site really appreciate hardcore for what it is and not listening it just for the drug effects.

warped_candykid
Advanced Member

United States
3,931 posts
warped_candykid has attended 5 events
Posted - 2019/02/20 :  03:11:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit warped_candykid's homepage
First off: Back off us candy kids! Without the candy ravers, Hardcore wouldn't had been nearly as popular as it was here in the States back in the Anabolic Frolic days. Candy kids & Happy Hardcore were a solid staple, and there were TONS more scenes over here than there is now. If you've noticed...a decline in candy ravers has equaled a decline in Happy Hardcore here in the States.

Ok, so DJCirrus, Many people here in the States hate dance music in general because it's not popular. You'll find more Americans liking Dub Step or Trance because it's what's fed to them through the media. I don't know how old you are (I'm 31), but I can tell you European dance music has always been treated as a joke in mainstream America after like, 1995. MTV tried it's best to stomp out any foreign dance music videos (until MTV2 came along). Even news teams tried to shame dance music when the RAVE ACT was enacted in 2002. It's just a genre of music that has only stuck with certain individuals here.

Aqua hit the States in 1997, and even though it was eurodance music, the term "Bubblegum Pop" started floating around, so that didn't help anything. (I will never, ever refer to cheesy eurodance as bubblegum pop. I'm sorry, it's eurodance when eurodance was splitting from it's 1994 sound).

People here don't like Hardcore because it's not like it was. Back in the late 90s and early 2000s, you could go to WalMart or any Mall and pick up a happy hardcore CD. Ravers just KNEW about it, and had a resource to go to (we didn't have wide spread internet for illegal downloading). You had to go buy the CDs, and happy hardcore was storming all over the States back then (thanks to the candy ravers). That crowd has moved on now (except for the few 30-40 year olds left who remember such days).

Another reason happy hardcore was so popular was because candy kids had tons of meet ups! One of the biggest candy kid get together events was Raver Day at Disneyland. Tons would meet up and then go to a rave that night. There was also an old website called kanditrade . net. It was forum page where candy kids all over the States (and the few international peeps) would trade candy through the mail. And happy hardcore was always a topic of discussion. DJs sharing the latest vinyl releases, and people sharing info about Bonkers & upcoming Happy2bHardcore releases. It was such a fun time and how sooo many people found out about Happy Hardcore

Edited by - warped_candykid on 2019/02/20 03:18:29
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,064 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2019/02/20 :  04:39:29  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
Well, compared to 89-95's Eurodance, Aqua IS bubblegum pop :P

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

LeVzi
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
944 posts
Posted - 2019/02/20 :  15:01:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit LeVzi's homepage
Hating on hardcore ?

aw but there is SOOOOOOO much to hate on.

Smoogie
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,480 posts
Posted - 2019/02/20 :  15:58:43  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Smoogie's homepage
Apparently it all sounds the same according to one guy who I once worked with who 'hates Ibiza music'

GrahamC
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
589 posts
Posted - 2019/02/20 :  21:34:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit GrahamC's homepage
It's ignorance really.

There is a lot of music I don't care for but I wouldn't go out of my way to criticise it to somebody who clearly gets a level of enjoyment out of it.

I know what you mean but I have always shut down conversations like that when they have cropped up, different tastes for different people, end of. No need to go hating on it and trying to bring others down. It's only music at the end of the day.

95_was_the_time
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,285 posts
Posted - 2019/02/20 :  23:02:12  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit 95_was_the_time's homepage
I hate to say it but.....

it's not so much hated... just ignored.

can I ask a question..... How many of us are still in our 20's?

if the answer is Not Me, then that is the correct answer... the new 20 somethings have arrived on the block and hardcore's no longer a thing (at least in the UK)

That whole thing of hardcore dying around the year 1999-2001 proved to be bollox. Hardcore pretty much died in the year 2010. The 20 somethings of today are far more interested in very shit music like post dubstep and trap and E D M (ugh!) . in fact, do any of them even explore underground music? I swear most of them just go on youtube, hit 'trending' and listen to the latest shitty trap-rap pop music.
Gone are the days of bringing tapepacks and cd packs into school / college and work and talking to same aged people about the scene. It's over mate. all we can do is look at the past
and what great times we had.

new 20somethings on the block at the end of the day, we're no different now from the people that had to accept getting old generations before us. like those lucky people that lived the 1988-1991 rave scene! (before the apparent commercial fake-ravers invaded in 1992 because of chart success)

DjCirrus

United States
61 posts
Posted - 2019/02/20 :  23:44:35  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DjCirrus's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by 95_was_the_time:

if the answer is Not Me, then that is the correct answer... the new 20 somethings have arrived on the block and hardcore's no longer a thing (at least in the UK)

That whole thing of hardcore dying around the year 1999-2001 proved to be bollox. Hardcore pretty much died in the year 2010. The 20 somethings of today are far more interested in very shit music like post dubstep and trap and E D M (ugh!) . in fact, do any of them even explore underground music? I swear most of them just go on youtube, hit 'trending' and listen to the latest shitty trap-rap pop music.
Gone are the days of bringing tapepacks and cd packs into school / college and work and talking to same aged people about the scene. It's over mate. all we can do is look at the past

new 20somethings on the block at the end of the day, we're no different now from the people that had to accept getting old generations before us. like those lucky people that lived the 1988-1991 rave scene! (before the apparent commercial fake-ravers invaded in 1992 because of chart success)

I take it that I'm the rare 19 year old kid who happens to like and mix (and will later produce once I get money for Ableton 10) hardcore. Better thank DjCotts

warped_candykid
Advanced Member

United States
3,931 posts
Posted - 2019/02/21 :  01:38:10  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit warped_candykid's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by 95_was_the_time:

You are absolutely right!

Valefor
Starting Member

United States
15 posts
Posted - 2019/02/21 :  07:50:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Valefor's homepage
Tell em to **** off an eat a dick bitch

LeVzi
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
944 posts
Posted - 2019/02/21 :  13:43:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit LeVzi's homepage
I saw a post on facebook earlier about Stompy , Al Storm and 2 others in the studio doing something. People are trying to do stuff to breath new life into a dead scene, but it's never going to change until moulds are broken and someone dares to do something old or new.

People hoped Scott Brown would reinvent the bouncy side of things, but it never happened, tbh I reckon that's where the future always has been, the sort of happy techno side of things, no vocals, just samples, could do it, I dunno thats my opinion. Thats what i'd prefer to hear than the shit vocal core that's dominated for so long.

rafferty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
621 posts
Posted - 2019/02/22 :  02:36:33  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit rafferty's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by warped_candykid:
First off: Back off us candy kids! Without the candy ravers, Hardcore wouldn't had been nearly as popular as it was here in the States back in the Anabolic Frolic days. Candy kids & Happy Hardcore were a solid staple, and there were TONS more scenes over here than there is now. If you've noticed...a decline in candy ravers has equaled a decline in Happy Hardcore here in the States.

Ok, so DJCirrus, Many people here in the States hate dance music in general because it's not popular. You'll find more Americans liking Dub Step or Trance because it's what's fed to them through the media. I don't know how old you are (I'm 31), but I can tell you European dance music has always been treated as a joke in mainstream America after like, 1995. MTV tried it's best to stomp out any foreign dance music videos (until MTV2 came along). Even news teams tried to shame dance music when the RAVE ACT was enacted in 2002. It's just a genre of music that has only stuck with certain individuals here.

Aqua hit the States in 1997, and even though it was eurodance music, the term "Bubblegum Pop" started floating around, so that didn't help anything. (I will never, ever refer to cheesy eurodance as bubblegum pop. I'm sorry, it's eurodance when eurodance was splitting from it's 1994 sound).

People here don't like Hardcore because it's not like it was. Back in the late 90s and early 2000s, you could go to WalMart or any Mall and pick up a happy hardcore CD. Ravers just KNEW about it, and had a resource to go to (we didn't have wide spread internet for illegal downloading). You had to go buy the CDs, and happy hardcore was storming all over the States back then (thanks to the candy ravers). That crowd has moved on now (except for the few 30-40 year olds left who remember such days).

Another reason happy hardcore was so popular was because candy kids had tons of meet ups! One of the biggest candy kid get together events was Raver Day at Disneyland. Tons would meet up and then go to a rave that night. There was also an old website called kanditrade . net. It was forum page where candy kids all over the States (and the few international peeps) would trade candy through the mail. And happy hardcore was always a topic of discussion. DJs sharing the latest vinyl releases, and people sharing info about Bonkers & upcoming Happy2bHardcore releases. It was such a fun time and how sooo many people found out about Happy Hardcore

If candy is dieing in the U.S I am very happy about that. It is an embarrassment to your country and the scene. Looking like a total farkin muppit with rainbow beads and sucking on a dummy. How can you think that is good? You may as well turn up to a rave in your sisters fairy dress.

Thankfully that candy shite did't get too popular in the Hardcore scene here, was more of a Gatecrasher Trance thing. I am guessing a lot of it was from fear of being hassled or bashed by chavs who used to frequent raves a lot.

Hardcore was at it's most popular in the 90s long before candy ravers. It all went down hill when candy appeared. Facts are facts. In the 90s events like Fusion, Helter Skelter & Hardcore Heaven were rammed at venues like the Sanctuary. Hardcore djs were in the top 100. Guys like Slipmatt & Seduction were household names.

I honesty think the scene is back on the way up. The culture is going back to it's roots and emulating the Dutch Hardcore/Hardstyle scene both in both music sounds and ravers clothing styles. Candy is said to be dead or dieing everywhere.

America has always been very behind the UK with it's rave scene. While you have had some good Hardcore dj/producers like Simon Apex running Subsonic Underground and AC Slater running Pitched up.
Candy has done you no favours as far as being respected by the wider population.

Candy & anime was just a faze & a total embarrassment that everyone mocks and laughs at now.

Edited by - rafferty on 2019/02/22 02:39:39
warped_candykid
Advanced Member

United States
3,931 posts
Posted - 2019/02/22 :  05:08:47  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit warped_candykid's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by rafferty:
quote:
Originally posted by warped_candykid:

If candy is dieing in the U.S I am very happy about that. It is an embarrassment to your country and the scene. Looking like a total farkin muppit with rainbow beads and sucking on a dummy. How can you think that is good? You may as well turn up to a rave in your sisters fairy dress.

Thankfully that candy shite did't get too popular in the Hardcore scene here, was more of a Gatecrasher Trance thing. I am guessing a lot of it was from fear of being hassled or bashed by chavs who used to frequent raves a lot.

Hardcore was at it's most popular in the 90s long before candy ravers. It all went down hill when candy appeared. Facts are facts. In the 90s events like Fusion, Helter Skelter & Hardcore Heaven were rammed at venues like the Sanctuary. Hardcore djs were in the top 100. Guys like Slipmatt & Seduction were household names.

I honesty think the scene is back on the way up. The culture is going back to it's roots and emulating the Dutch Hardcore/Hardstyle scene both in both music sounds and ravers clothing styles. Candy is said to be dead or dieing everywhere.

America has always been very behind the UK with it's rave scene. While you have had some good Hardcore dj/producers like Simon Apex running Subsonic Underground and AC Slater running Pitched up.
Candy has done you no favours as far as being respected by the wider population.

Well I guess candy brought down Hardcore on your side of the ocean, but over here, it was highly popular and Happy Hardcore was booming; they went together (here in the States). I'm sorry you hate it. Your dislike in something doesn't equate to "That's why Hardcore isn't popular". I've told you why it's not popular: Lack of sustainability. Today's generation of ravers just aren't like those of the 90s or 2000s. They flock to whatever is being fed to them as being "popular". If it's Hardcore, then great! If it's not, then too bad for Hardcore. And what's available for US 20 year olds to buy that's Hardcore? Nothing (unless they look to an mp3 site). They all play music off a streaming service; there's no collecting now. I have watched my own scene become barren of anything over 150 bpm (and we didn't have a lot of candy kids here either, so there goes your argument.) Promoters won't even dare touch the stuff anymore. You really need to observe your own experience in raving and then compare it the States. We didn't have tons of CD series to get. We didn't have the music as easily available. It was the ravers that spread the genre, and 70% of those ravers were the candy kids. Even candy kids aren't popular much anymore here in the States, and oh! Look at that, neither is Hardcore. And it's not just Hardcore; any hard dance is hard to come by now here (at least on the East Coast). Times change. Maybe one day, there will be a revival in UK Hardcore popularity. But it won't be with the current crowd.

And also, you don't even live here. You weren't part of the movement here. You weren't part of the original crews here. You don't know our experience. You simply take one look and see something you don't like, and automatically treat it like the culprit. That's not how things work.

Edited by - warped_candykid on 2019/02/22 05:26:11

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.55 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page