Mid 2000s to late 2000s hardcore buzz
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 3

Author Thread  
Skidzorz

Canada
299 posts
Posted - 2018/04/28 :  16:43:41  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Skidzorz's homepage  Reply with quote
Also Hujib just played a show in Toronto in the past 18 months .. Doesn't mean he's back back but he's definitely not comletsly over the scene

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Skidzorz

Canada
299 posts
Posted - 2018/04/28 :  16:50:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Skidzorz's homepage  Reply with quote
Also Hujib just played a show in Toronto in the past 18 months .. Doesn't mean he's back back but he's definitely not comletsly over the scene

DJIntensity

Australia
447 posts
Posted - 2018/04/28 :  21:38:06  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJIntensity's homepage  Reply with quote
I remember his solo single Over & Over a complete copy of a trance tune from Above & Beyond but his collaborations with Frisky are amazing the main reason why I started listening to Hardcore over another genres.

Skidzorz

Canada
299 posts
Posted - 2018/04/28 :  21:55:08  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Skidzorz's homepage  Reply with quote
Re-Con's remix of their track The One will always hold a special place in my heart. I was 13 and a friend had just introduced me to hardcore .. She didn't know much but her friend had been to WEMF a bunch near Toronto and they booked HC acts. Couldn't remember for the life of me what she showed me but I hopped on Limewire (or might've been Bearshare still, lol .. Ah the memories) and typed in happy hardcore and found a whole slew of tunes mislabelled as Hixxy tracks .. It would be Hixxy - Elysium or Hixxy - You're My Angel, lol. And there was also this ******** fake DJ who called himself DJ Frisky who just took trance and house tunes, sped them up significantly so they were a HC tempo, and then added shitty off beat high pitched vocal samples all over the tracks, lol. Everything was labelled like_this_********_artist_name-track_name.

So went into YouTube to try and better find shit and the first thing that popped up was Ravine's first mix. The 4 songs on that mix will always hold a special place in my heart as it introduced me to the genre that would stay my favourite (along with hip hop) for the next decade and most important times of growth in my entire life. HC got me through a lot and that mix is what I have to thank for it.

Whenever I play The One on its own I still hear the shitty scratching "ah yeeah" early Ravine used to use xD.

Must've made this account soon after because my join dates 2007, ?\_(ツ)_/?. I don't even remotely want to look at my old posts .. I would've been 13 or 14 and they are surely quite embaressing.

Icewind

Canada
116 posts
Posted - 2018/04/28 :  22:55:34  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Icewind's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skidzorz:
quote:
Originally posted by Icewind:
Hardcore has gone through it's phases...with the 90s happy hardcore, to the 2000's ukhardcore/trancecore, and now this modern electro/edm hardcore. Although not all of it is bad, I can't say I really like the direction hardcore is going in as of late. That's okay though, because hardcore will evolve once again into something different..even though it might take a while. For now, I am just going to spin and produce the music that I want to hear the way I want to hear it.

And regarding the parties, here in Toronto Canada, we've been having about 1 a month on average, sometimes more.

Basically once Tommy and George stopped throwing parties I stopped going up. The first Heart Of Gold was my first rave ever, outside of Defqon, and I'm very glad I noticed the event (no idea how as I wasn't on FB yet - needing to get ahold of people I met at the rave who constantly changed, or wouldn't have, a phone number - but I saw it) as I met loads of friends I'll be close to for hopefully decades to come, but once Timmy started getting big into politics and working for Bernie and now for the NDP and Total Request Rave 10 isn't happening anytime soon, and George ended the HoG series l just stopped going.

If TRR 10 ever happens I'll go back up, or if there's a cheap F&D show ( they played a 2 hour set at a 15$ party back in December) I'll come back up, but they all got much smaller when the above two stopped throwing parties, and it's a lot of money for me to go up to Toronto.

That F&D show was my last one but before that it has been like 2 years since June 2016.

Hardcore kinda of took a dip in the very late 2000's but the early 2010' picked up heavily again, but that was mostly the HU guys as a bunch of big labels stopped releasing around then. It also clearly was a just a stopgap for a few years as that momentum seems to have died down and all were left with is the same 10 guys releasing the same, EDM modelled hardcore. I hate the Harsrtyle synths in the main riffs now and the shitty mainstream big room house, floaty synths they're all using now. Horrible description of the sound these days but everyone knows what I'm talking about.

There was a worry in the early 2010's that if we didn't get any new producers who could actually take over the mantle from the old guard that in 10, 15 years hardcore will be 100% dead, but since the old guard doesn't seem like they're willing the hand the reins over, and with no incentive for new producers to entire the scene (Orbit 1 was one of the best new producers we had and both him and Inverse left, Ham left and he was at the top...).

Toronto had 3000 people at hardcore raves when Anabolic Frolic was still around, the early 2000's had about 1200 people filled into The Opera House. The biggest Heart of Gold and TRR's recently only had like 6-800 people, and those two were the biggest we had by a long shot.

****, Coone had 54!!!!! people at the Opera House back 4-5 years ago ... It looked barren .. Dude definitely lost money, lol.

Hey! Just so you know Fracus and Darwin ARE coming back...next month! My and my girlfriend are going. They are going to be playing at club 120 in Toronto on May 26th...I will be there. I was also at the last one. It was amazing.

Tim was playing at a party last night at a party called Jurassic Hardcore. It was a smaller party, as the scene has definitely shrunk, but there is hope. It was a very close knit and intimate party...I don't want to jinx it but i believe the scene is on the up in up! I'm a local producer and dj trying to break into the scene...

Let me know if you are coming to the next fracus and darwin event so we can possibly have chat. Take care.

DJIntensity

Australia
447 posts
Posted - 2018/04/29 :  07:23:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJIntensity's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skidzorz:
Re-Con's remix of their track The One will always hold a special place in my heart. I was 13 and a friend had just introduced me to hardcore .. She didn't know much but her friend had been to WEMF a bunch near Toronto and they booked HC acts. Couldn't remember for the life of me what she showed me but I hopped on Limewire (or might've been Bearshare still, lol .. Ah the memories) and typed in happy hardcore and found a whole slew of tunes mislabelled as Hixxy tracks .. It would be Hixxy - Elysium or Hixxy - You're My Angel, lol. And there was also this ******** fake DJ who called himself DJ Frisky who just took trance and house tunes, sped them up significantly so they were a HC tempo, and then added shitty off beat high pitched vocal samples all over the tracks, lol. Everything was labelled like_this_********_artist_name-track_name.

So went into YouTube to try and better find shit and the first thing that popped up was Ravine's first mix. The 4 songs on that mix will always hold a special place in my heart as it introduced me to the genre that would stay my favourite (along with hip hop) for the next decade and most important times of growth in my entire life. HC got me through a lot and that mix is what I have to thank for it.

Whenever I play The One on its own I still hear the shitty scratching "ah yeeah" early Ravine used to use xD.

Must've made this account soon after because my join dates 2007, ?\_(ツ)_/?. I don't even remotely want to look at my old posts .. I would've been 13 or 14 and they are surely quite embaressing.

The original version was better for me their other single too Partycrasher best tune they ever produced with You Better Run remixed by Vagabond.

sterichie26

United Kingdom
471 posts
Posted - 2018/05/02 :  02:02:11  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit sterichie26's homepage  Reply with quote
Hardcore is probably the most frustrating scene in my opinion. I fell in love with Hardcore around 96, so i love all the early stuff and the early 2000's were good too, but i think as time has gone on the sound has almost got lost in the sense that it no longer represents "happy hardcore". The sound for me now is far too "electronic" and very trappy dubcore sounding. Give me an uplifting vocal and harmonic riff any day !

What also seems to frustrate a lot of fans is the time it takes to get releases out. For example some tracks are heard in mixes or on Soundcloud, but arent released for anything up to a year afterwards or sometimes never at all, which makes people lose interest.

Take a look at the "TWR" label for example - Bigged up by a certain "main man" from the scene stating that its ridiculous that good hardcore should take so long to get out there, and that tunes were going to be released every 2 weeks - which did seem to run for a fair bit and the track sales were doing really well, and then bang everything stopped without any clear explanation or update to us fans. I personally after spending money on each release felt rather shat on !

There is nothing i would love to see more than hardcore getting all the way back up there, but i just cant see it happening now.

djscavenger

United Kingdom
119 posts
Posted - 2018/05/03 :  20:20:47  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djscavenger's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by sterichie26:
Hardcore is probably the most frustrating scene in my opinion. I fell in love with Hardcore around 96, so i love all the early stuff and the early 2000's were good too, but i think as time has gone on the sound has almost got lost in the sense that it no longer represents "happy hardcore". The sound for me now is far too "electronic" and very trappy dubcore sounding. Give me an uplifting vocal and harmonic riff any day !

What also seems to frustrate a lot of fans is the time it takes to get releases out. For example some tracks are heard in mixes or on Soundcloud, but arent released for anything up to a year afterwards or sometimes never at all, which makes people lose interest.

Take a look at the "TWR" label for example - Bigged up by a certain "main man" from the scene stating that its ridiculous that good hardcore should take so long to get out there, and that tunes were going to be released every 2 weeks - which did seem to run for a fair bit and the track sales were doing really well, and then bang everything stopped without any clear explanation or update to us fans. I personally after spending money on each release felt rather shat on !

There is nothing i would love to see more than hardcore getting all the way back up there, but i just cant see it happening now.

Don't Forget future world as well. I believe it's limping on in some form with Breeze peddling his unique brand of derpcore. Both TWR and Future World promised big things but fizzled out.

Another point is that Hardcore has lost some big labels and artist which have not been replaced. Both Next Gen and Quosh pumped out some great music even in the darkest times of the early 2000's. Brisk, Sy & Unknown. Ham, Demo, DNA. Fade, Robbie Long, Stormtrooper etc all very talented producers and DJ's that have left the scene and have never been replaced. Hardcore doesnt have the pool of talent DnB has. It doenst help that artists feel obliged to copy whatever sound the top jocks are playing which makes everything sound like a cheap copy. I miss the days of Melodies pianos and rave stabs.

DJIntensity

Australia
447 posts
Posted - 2018/05/04 :  06:54:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJIntensity's homepage  Reply with quote
Well since Resist went bust in 2006 things have been going downhill.

Mental_Adam
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
842 posts
Posted - 2018/05/22 :  02:22:45  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Mental_Adam's homepage  Reply with quote
Surely some major company now owns lot of material to release? I think the odd compilation of old material would still sell for em

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 3 pages long: 1  2  3
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.41 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page