Total online 1722
 Radio listeners 175+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Should Darren Styles support new producers more?
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
rafferty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
621 posts
Posted - 2018/11/17 :  01:01:08  Show profile Send a private message
I have a lot of respect for him as a producer and dj. And I do like a lot of the tracks on Electric Fox. But I do notice he and the label gives very little support to new producers compared to a lot of the other labels out there.

His sets usually consist of productions from a small group of producers that he knows well with a few of his own remixes of well known EDM & Hardstyle producers.

I don't think it is through lack of quality. As there are new guys out there that are producing just as well as him in the UK with tracks that would work in his sets.

The smaller labels seem to be doing a great job of signing new producers. Labels like Justice Hardcore, Scarred Digital, Total Hardcore., Hardcore Underground.

Even Scott Brown is often releasing newer UK producers tracks and remixes. Mark Breeze has released a lot of new talent from the UK on Future World too.

What are your thoughts on the reasoning behind it?

Candy & anime was just a faze & a total embarrassment that everyone mocks and laughs at now.

Alert moderator
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,071 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2018/11/18 :  09:45:03  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
I can't/shouldn't really say much since I'm not very fund of the sound, but their rendition of DJ Manga/DJ Panda's "It's a Dream" is crap. (Switch)

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Edited by - Samination on 2018/11/18 09:45:43
wong
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,991 posts
Posted - 2018/11/18 :  18:42:45  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit wong's homepage
well he's barely part of the uk scene anymore so why would he?

warped_candykid
Advanced Member

United States
3,934 posts
warped_candykid has attended 5 events
Posted - 2018/11/18 :  18:55:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit warped_candykid's homepage
Styles sold himself out. He's not about to showcase unknown peeps. C'mon now.

SparkzMusic

Zimbabwe
334 posts
Posted - 2018/11/19 :  23:39:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit SparkzMusic's homepage
It is what it is.

An artist that was lucky enough to be there at the start of actual "happy hardcore". Who probably wasn't doing it all for the cash until after or around Clubland days.

I think the turn of the new raver baby sound was done with minimal money made, some love for the music still but he was at a point due to work with Force previously where he would only work with the so called worthy ones..... Other pretty much big names.

After the success of Clubland (and as I recall, good albums but were 95% filled with bignames), money has been the incentive. Unless someone makes something that has 500k plays or whatever, why would he even bother trying to work with them or remix it when his name sells, regardless of how good it is?

Smaller labels - Producers are sadly 10 a penny these days. Smaller labels would almost sign anyone. HU isn't a "small" label anyway. But for the others, the more artists releasing with them, the more potential publicity right?

Mark Breeze - He never made the money Styles did. He's never been a great or as popular producer. If he was then he would have done the same thing as Styles. Styles carried him, Styles went his own way (even back in the day with work like "taking me higher"). Breeze is really just using a few things he picked up from working with big names and so on to pull in new talent because he just can't do it on his own. In other words it was "Oh shit, Darren has gone. What do I do? Oh yeah, I was on clubland albums and owned Infinity back in the day, that will bring in some people to help me out".

The drunken scotsman
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,486 posts
Posted - 2018/11/20 :  07:23:13  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit The drunken scotsman's homepage
Nothing wrong with wanting to make as much money as possible from his undoubted talent. People seem to think that the likes of Darren Styles owe something to hardcore and demonise him for ?selling out?, when the truth is that he carried the genre for several years before heading to the US. Put it this way, in the past, Hardcore would have been a lot worse off without him. He has been responsible for more anthemic tunes than I care to remember - far more than any other single producer.

I was always a big fan of his and this type of chat has been aimed at him as long as I can remember. Quite sad really, as if he should prioritise ?the scene? over his family and career potential.

carldj90

United States
299 posts
carldj90 has attended 1 event
Posted - 2018/11/23 :  02:11:59  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit carldj90's homepage
Well he makes money doing what he loves. So who cares? It is not his responsibility to give anyone any amount of exposure.

Vladel
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,514 posts
Posted - 2018/11/23 :  07:50:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Vladel's homepage
The only thing I wish Styles would do is release some music.

Captain Triceps
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,184 posts
Posted - 2018/11/23 :  12:17:56  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Captain Triceps's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Vladel:

With Force.

https://soundcloud.com/paulbradley1982

warped_candykid
Advanced Member

United States
3,934 posts
warped_candykid has attended 5 events
Posted - 2018/11/24 :  04:10:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit warped_candykid's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Triceps:
quote:
Originally posted by Vladel:

With Force.

or Breeze again

Captain Triceps
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,184 posts
Posted - 2018/11/25 :  00:27:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Captain Triceps's homepage
Fuck it, reform Force and The Evolution and start again

https://soundcloud.com/paulbradley1982

baakaara

United Kingdom
47 posts
Posted - 2018/11/25 :  01:05:39  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit baakaara's homepage
90's "Happy hardcore" is fantastic, and if you roll back to the earlier 00's i think you'll agree that nowadays hardcore is rapidly going down the toilet.

We needs producers to produce slammers how they used to because this warpy, trappy slowed down EDM shite is killing it. With Darren's sets you never really hear him play tunes from the upciming producers or maybe the less well known dj's. he likes to play his own stuff - which is his choice.

As for Gammer, well please do not even get me started on that. Turned his back on UK hardcore, and as for the TWR debacle well - what a way to promise your loyal fans fresh frequent releases and then just pull the plug without any explanation to those who had paid their money for all their releases ? That fella really does make me sick, the thousands of fans that comment on his FB page with nice words get nothing back, but the ones who post something critical or negative he is all over like a rash.

But yes darren should share his powerhouse knowledge and expertise with upcoming producers.

SparkzMusic

Zimbabwe
334 posts
Posted - 2018/11/25 :  19:26:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit SparkzMusic's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by baakaara:

We needs producers to produce slammers how they used to because this warpy, trappy slowed down EDM shite is killing it.

People do make slammers like they used to be but publicity is a problem.

It takes many hours to produce a track from scratch and even more if there's lyrics to write and everything else. It's all very well doing it unpaid and for the love of the scene but even the most dedicated producer will question "what's the point?" after spending 15 hours making a track for FREE and a month later having 10 plays.

People who want to hear the old sound will typically go on YT and search for "Hixxy" or "Breeze and styles", play a few tracks and that's that until the next time.

The sound is too old to be mainstream again like it was in the clubland days and it's very hard to grow publicity of newer artists who make that sound because where do people even look for it? Typing in "UK hardcore" to YT brings up the newer sound as well as older stuff.

The only way the scene can ever be what it was with that sound is if Styles and co start making that sound again (not a chance in hell) or if enough new and old amateur/semi pro producers started a new (old) wave backed by lots of funding towards publicity (CD giveaways, events, etc), which let's be honest, won't ever happen.

Sulphurik
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
954 posts
Posted - 2018/11/26 :  10:43:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Sulphurik's homepage
Yes Styles probably should support new producers more. Playing tracks from up and coming producers in his DJ sets.

quote:
Originally posted by SparkzMusic:
quote:

We needs producers to produce slammers how they used to because this warpy, trappy slowed down EDM shite is killing it.

It takes many hours to produce a track from scratch and even more if there's lyrics to write and everything else. It's all very well doing it unpaid and for the love of the scene but even the most dedicated producer will question "what's the point?" after spending 15 hours making a track for FREE and a month later having 10 plays.

People who want to hear the old sound will typically go on YT and search for "Hixxy" or "Breeze and styles", play a few tracks and that's that until the next time.

The sound is too old to be mainstream again like it was in the clubland days and it's very hard to grow publicity of newer artists who make that sound because where do people even look for it? Typing in "UK hardcore" to YT brings up the newer sound as well as older stuff.

The only way the scene can ever be what it was with that sound is if Styles and co start making that sound again (not a chance in hell) or if enough new and old amateur/semi pro producers started a new (old) wave backed by lots of funding towards publicity (CD giveaways, events, etc), which let's be honest, won't ever happen.

There are some artists who are still producing the older UK Hardcore sound...Scott Brown hasn't changed his style as much as the newer EDM sound. Macks Wolf, Jonny El and M Project producing in similar way (mainstream UK style) UFO would still be producing similar to his older Raver Baby style and Al Storm in many of his tracks also.

Edited by - Sulphurik on 2018/11/26 10:46:52
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,071 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2018/11/26 :  16:36:11  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Sulphurik:
Yes Styles probably should support new producers more. Playing tracks from up and coming producers in his DJ sets.

quote:
quote:

There are some artists who are still producing the older UK Hardcore sound...Scott Brown hasn't changed his style as much as the newer EDM sound. Macks Wolf, Jonny El and M Project producing in similar way (mainstream UK style) UFO would still be producing similar to his older Raver Baby style and Al Storm in many of his tracks also.

Excluding the Hardcore Heaven album. God damn that how that one made him weak, by having the set almost sound safer than F&D's mix

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

trippnface
Advanced Member

United States
1,654 posts
trippnface has attended 21 events
Posted - 2018/11/26 :  21:57:43  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit trippnface's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
quote:
Originally posted by Sulphurik:

quote:
quote:

Excluding the Hardcore Heaven album. God damn that how that one made him weak, by having the set almost sound safer than F&D's mix

agreed, was pretty weak

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.56 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page