Printer friendly
Page: 
of 8

Author Thread  
Smoogie
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,480 posts
Posted - 2018/10/22 :  19:27:47  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Smoogie's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by djDMS:

You're lucky I don't care about you enough to dislike you or it would be much worse.

Nice, I go off pretty lightly!

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Vladel
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,514 posts
Posted - 2018/10/27 :  08:27:03  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Vladel's homepage  Reply with quote
I know I don?t follow the gabber scene closely but it seems to me there is a lot more of these soft kicks in tracks. A bit like the joey riot remix of sharkeys awakening on the completionist stuff goes to all that trouble to have this huge buildup and then such a gutless kick drum. The depth seems to have gone and it?s also very prevalent on the newest angerfist album.

djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2018/10/27 :  10:46:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage  Reply with quote
I don't mind 'softer' kicks in some tracks, gives my poor old ears a rest.

If Gabber or even Frenchcore are toned down slightly and sound a bit more like UK Hardcore I'm all for it.

Yes I know that won't be a popular opinion in Hardcore circles but it suits me!

Smoogie
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,480 posts
Posted - 2018/10/28 :  16:47:03  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Smoogie's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vladel:
I know I don?t follow the gabber scene closely but it seems to me there is a lot more of these soft kicks in tracks. A bit like the joey riot remix of sharkeys awakening on the completionist stuff goes to all that trouble to have this huge buildup and then such a gutless kick drum. The depth seems to have gone and it?s also very prevalent on the newest angerfist album.

Softcore Gabber?

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2018/11/03 :  19:21:06  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Personally, for me things went sour pretty quick around about 2006

For me as well. It was well established in 2005 already and that's the year i normally mention when i say similar things.

wong
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,991 posts
Posted - 2018/11/03 :  19:26:39  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit wong's homepage  Reply with quote
2005_was_the_time

Smoogie
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,480 posts
Posted - 2018/11/03 :  21:02:08  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Smoogie's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hard2Get:
quote:
Personally, for me things went sour pretty quick around about 2006

For me as well. It was well established in 2005 already and that's the year i normally mention when i say similar things.

The thing is 2005 was the year that the mainstream by Raverbaby and the like got a major push with the CXHC series and a lot of artists started following with very quickly. At the start of the year the Hardcore Heaven and Hardcore Nation compilations got the year off to a good start but most of it was 2004 or older stuff. By the end of the year the style had quickly been regularised as per the mainstream.

If you listen to the stuff from 2002-2004 you can notice the difference as only a smaller number (such as Raverbaby) where doing the more vocal and mainstream stuff but other artists where not afraid to push the boundaries. This can be seen, or at least heard on Bonkers 10 and 11.

In 2005 Freeform was at a good point but it never really went far from the background. This may have not been too much of a problem as it was never meant to be mainstream but I felt that some artists where ignoring the style somewhat. By 2006 the rules had been set and while music wise the scene still saw a large number of releases and event attendance was huge it was by 2008 when things where notably stale.

I remember on this forum people where regarding 2008 as being a make or break year at first but by the end of the year nothing had really progressed as such and by the end of 2009 it all seemed to be over. Hardcore has never really recovered. If anything the better stuff of the last decade was at the start, in the early 2000s and not towards the end.

Smoogie
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,480 posts
Posted - 2018/11/03 :  21:05:47  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Smoogie's homepage  Reply with quote
Take Blinded by Euphony and DJ Storm:

Quite a strong tune and different compared to most of the time. Perhaps it sounds dated now but it would have been ahead of the game. Much more stronger than a lot of the cheesy vocal stuff which was to come

Smoogie
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,480 posts
Posted - 2018/11/03 :  21:11:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Smoogie's homepage  Reply with quote
This one by Brisk and Ham is interesting. It has a somewhat similar take to their Stimulant DJs remix of 'A Project - Fantasy' but this is Hardcore. It was sadly never released as far as I know but it has to be one of the finest of Brisk's (and Ham's) works

Impulse_Response
Advanced Member

United States
724 posts
Impulse_Response has attended 1 event
Posted - 2018/11/03 :  23:24:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Impulse_Response's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Smoogie:
This one by Brisk and Ham is interesting. It has a somewhat similar take to their Stimulant DJs remix of 'A Project - Fantasy' but this is Hardcore. It was sadly never released as far as I know but it has to be one of the finest of Brisk's (and Ham's) works

https://www.discogs.com/Brisk-Ham-Angel-Eyes-Gettin-Down/release/217242

Smoogie
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,480 posts
Posted - 2018/11/03 :  23:51:01  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Smoogie's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Impulse_Response:
https://www.discogs.com/Brisk-Ham-Angel-Eyes-Gettin-Down/release/217242

Thanks for that I missed it!

Vladel
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,514 posts
Posted - 2018/11/10 :  20:55:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Vladel's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Smoogie:
quote:

Softcore Gabber?

Mate it's not even funny, they have all this build up and the kicks are like tap-tap.

Smoogie
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,480 posts
Posted - 2018/11/11 :  18:58:11  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Smoogie's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:

Mate it's not even funny, they have all this build up and the kicks are like tap-tap.

The same thing made UK Hardcore fail. Everything got softer after every new release

The Big Spill
Starting Member

United Kingdom
4 posts
Posted - 2018/11/14 :  09:27:07  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit The Big Spill's homepage  Reply with quote
the thing about the hardcore revival back in 2000 was it had the 1998 surge of trance to ride on the back of. Not long after that hard house exploded and the likes of Brisk and Ham were already firmly part of the Tidy Trax stable. Billy Bunter and Jon Doe were driving the Honey Pot label and the hardcore influences were obvious. Before you knew it there was a hardcore area at most hard house events to aid the cross over appeal; support for the sound was massive.

Now hardcore is going through another lull but what is different this time is that there isn't any big wave of similar sound that the nu breed of young people can identify with. Dance music in general seems to have got so much slower and a lot of tracks build into a crescendo of nothing. It's like it's music for the self conscious generation.

I don't think it's all doom and gloom though. More and more people are picking up on hardcore breaks it seems (even Suzuki got in on the act with Sons Of A Loop Da Loop Era) and these things always come round in cycles. For as long there are people like us wanting the hardcore sound then it will exist (Kniteforce is a prime example) and even though the days of piling into the Sanctuary are gone we can at least be thankful that there are still people out there that are passionate for hardcore.

Icewind

Canada
116 posts
Posted - 2018/11/15 :  08:27:55  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Icewind's homepage  Reply with quote
I come on here periodically, and I gotta say that this is a sad state of affairs. I remember when I initially got into hardcore somewhere during the mid 2000's trancecore phase, listening to all the bonkers CD's, going to my first events, and starting to dj/produce. It never occurred to me how niche and fragile the scene was back then, and I could have never imagined it coming to this. These forums were also much more active at that time.

I think the problem is that hardcore is trying to appeal to everyone and has spread itself too thin. When I go to a hardcore event, I am expecting to hear hardcore and other rave elements like perhaps jungle/dnb/gabber etc (which is in the same BPM range). When I start hearing a trap section or a Justin Bieber vocal, well, something is wrong. I get that producers are looking to diversify, and find that "new sound" that pushes hardcore and can appeal to fans outside of hardcore but I think it's gone maybe a bit too far now. Hardcore needs to go back to it's roots.

I can say that in Toronto where I live, there is still a small tight knit scene, and there is maybe 1 event every 2 months on average, sometimes more or less depending. People do still come out and dance, but even here it is kind of fading and just barely hanging on. I remember when there used to be an event almost every weekend.

At the end of the day, I am happy that there are still people who care about the state of hardcore. I think hardcore got a bit too big and couldn't sustain itself. Perhaps it's time to start fresh and build the scene back up from scratch and keep it underground where it belongs.

...and I apologize for the self plug but it really is hard to find exposure, so for what it's worth..

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 8 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.91 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page