of 8

Author Thread  
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,076 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2018/11/18 :  09:55:11  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage  Reply with quote
Advanced production doesn't always mean success. The only reason the likes of Gammer and Darren Styles are getting more success, is because they've branched out to more successful (sorry, I mean more popular) genres, not because their Hardcore has gotten better, production wise.

Ins't the charm with Hardcore is that it should be a little filthy, unprocessed? Even the name Hardcore is implying that it's supposed to be edgy...

wait... did I just confirm that Hard House it more Hardcore than UK Hardcore?`DAMN YOU SMOOGIEE!!!

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Edited by - Samination on 2018/11/18 09:57:28
Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Triquatra is a site donation subscriber Triquatra has attended 26 events
Posted - 2018/11/18 :  14:21:38  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage  Reply with quote
They've tapped the American market, it's really as simple as that.

Dance music in the UK has been well known, successful, commercial and part of the culture since the early 90s.

There's no longer a wave to ride here, it may have taken the US decades to catch up, but that's clearly where the surf is, now. :P

Impulse_Response
Advanced Member

United States
724 posts
Impulse_Response has attended 1 event
Posted - 2018/11/18 :  17:30:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Impulse_Response's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Triquatra:
They've tapped the American market, it's really as simple as that.

People keep saying this and it makes me curious, what styles are popular are in the UK and elsewhere right now?

EDIT: In particular, I remember scrolling through my soundcloud feed full of Japanese producers a while back. It was always a lot of the same EDM garbage.

Edited by - Impulse_Response on 2018/11/18 17:37:12
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,076 posts

195 hardcore releases
Posted - 2018/11/19 :  08:16:37  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage  Reply with quote
Grime, and dirt :P

Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Posted - 2018/11/19 :  09:39:12  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Impulse_Response:
People keep saying this and it makes me curious, what styles are popular are in the UK and elsewhere right now?

same as always really, most styles of dance music that have been popular since the 90s are still popular; apart from hardcore (haha).

The Annual 2019, from ministry of sound is at the number 2 spot on the UK Top 100 Compilations chart at the moment.

as I say though, this is the way it's always been for kids who were born 1987+ in the UK dance music has just been everywhere for them, they were brought up with it, it was never niche or special.
Hardcore WAS niche and special, that's why when it boomed, it boomed and we had the UK compilation charts littered with hardcore albums...buuuuut that's over.

It appears (from where i'm sitting over here) that the USA are enjoying finally being able to experience something that is so far removed from what their parents brought them up with.

I remember when I lived over there it was like some sort of ultimate sin to "admit" that you listened to dance music "dance music?....oh you mean techno? ****, that shit?!" the USA seem to be a far cry from that now! XD

Besides, It's called EDM now, so that makes it acceptable to listen to ;)

Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Posted - 2018/11/19 :  09:40:59  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage  Reply with quote
Really interesting to note the amount of callbacks to 1995 house music in that advert.

Interesting.

Impulse_Response
Advanced Member

United States
724 posts
Impulse_Response has attended 1 event
Posted - 2018/11/19 :  17:28:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Impulse_Response's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Triquatra:
I remember when I lived over there it was like some sort of ultimate sin to "admit" that you listened to dance music "dance music?....oh you mean techno? ****, that shit?!" the USA seem to be a far cry from that now! XD

Was it really that bad? I remember my parents had a couple of dance albums, including Ultimate Dance Party. My brother and I blasted that when we were kids, especially "I Like To Move It" because we thought that was the most hilarious thing ever. I also combed the shelves at a local music store in college and found all sorts of used dance/trance/house albums from the 90s and early 2000s. I even found a few hardcore albums.

I'm glad electronic styles are popular here, but I still don't like most of what I hear. I tend to prefer pleasant melodies and enjoyable sounds. Maybe I'm just too picky, but most EDM sounds like it's designed to grind on your ears and be as slow as possible.

Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Posted - 2018/11/19 :  18:24:13  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage  Reply with quote
Comparitively speaking, yes.

Skidzorz

Canada
299 posts
Posted - 2018/12/18 :  15:46:53  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Skidzorz's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icewind:
I come on here periodically, and I gotta say that this is a sad state of affairs. I remember when I initially got into hardcore somewhere during the mid 2000's trancecore phase, listening to all the bonkers CD's, going to my first events, and starting to dj/produce. It never occurred to me how niche and fragile the scene was back then, and I could have never imagined it coming to this. These forums were also much more active at that time.

I think the problem is that hardcore is trying to appeal to everyone and has spread itself too thin. When I go to a hardcore event, I am expecting to hear hardcore and other rave elements like perhaps jungle/dnb/gabber etc (which is in the same BPM range). When I start hearing a trap section or a Justin Bieber vocal, well, something is wrong. I get that producers are looking to diversify, and find that "new sound" that pushes hardcore and can appeal to fans outside of hardcore but I think it's gone maybe a bit too far now. Hardcore needs to go back to it's roots.

I can say that in Toronto where I live, there is still a small tight knit scene, and there is maybe 1 event every 2 months on average, sometimes more or less depending. People do still come out and dance, but even here it is kind of fading and just barely hanging on. I remember when there used to be an event almost every weekend.

At the end of the day, I am happy that there are still people who care about the state of hardcore. I think hardcore got a bit too big and couldn't sustain itself. Perhaps it's time to start fresh and build the scene back up from scratch and keep it underground where it belongs.

...and I apologize for the self plug but it really is hard to find exposure, so for what it's worth..

It's because there isn't a new generation of promoters ready to take the reins. Goodfellaz evolved out of Hullaballo, and Daydream/Nocturnal Commisions evolved out of of GF, and with George & Daydream basically finished, and TRR10 in April being Timmy' last event, it doesn't appear like there's a next gen being primed by then to continue things. I'm sure the death of the HC scene as a whole helped, but without any under their wings to continue things it'll die quickly. You don't see as many new comers as you did when I firsst started going up to Toronto in 2011 for the first Heart Of Gold. HoG5 was filled with 24-32 year olds, and I'm sure those numbers will continue to rise as the years go on

jenks
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,683 posts

19 hardcore releases
jenks has attended 1 event
Posted - 2018/12/23 :  03:08:04  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit jenks's homepage  Reply with quote
It's a young man's game.

Vladel
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,514 posts
Posted - 2018/12/23 :  08:04:33  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Vladel's homepage  Reply with quote
Grabber has definitely gone to shit as well. Angerfists latest album and virtually everything on Juno seems to have declared war on bass. The result is horrendous and I really hope this change doesn?t stick.

Bring Me Round To Love

United Kingdom
116 posts
Posted - 2018/12/23 :  09:58:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Bring Me Round To Love's homepage  Reply with quote
That's why i love the Synthwave/Retrowave scene right now, it's against that horrible modern sound that Hardcore tried and failed at.

djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2018/12/23 :  11:38:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage  Reply with quote
It's typical that just as I start getting more of a liking for the harder styles, somebody decides to water them down and make the kicks weak and hopeless.

Was listening to some Gabber & Frenchcore in the car earlier and I couldn't even make my one year old granddaughter cry. Pathetic!

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,076 posts

195 hardcore releases
Posted - 2018/12/25 :  09:23:27  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by djDMS:
It's typical that just as I start getting more of a liking for the harder styles, somebody decides to water them down and make the kicks weak and hopeless.

Was listening to some Gabber & Frenchcore in the car earlier and I couldn't even make my one year old granddaughter cry. Pathetic!

+1, and I don't even got children :P

djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2018/12/25 :  14:44:23  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage  Reply with quote
....unless you include the ones locked in your basement

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 8 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.92 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page