Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Is it just me, but does anyone feel....
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 8

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Mental_Adam
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
842 posts
Posted - 2018/09/27 :  22:11:32  Show profile Send a private message
that hardcore possibly in the next 1 to 3 years will have another popularity push?

I feel the last major push was obviously around the late 2000's, where obviously the only compilation in the public eye was the "Clubland" series of hardcore.

However i know a lot of the posters on here are more regular than i am.

I just had a reminder of hardcore today from going to a carboot sale and picking up some 90s dutch hardcore cds and coming across a helter skelter united in hardcore box from about 2006/2007.

I do appreciate hardcore, but don't even hear the slight whisper about the current state of it. Is everything cool? I just have that gut feeling hopefully it will be electric again

Alert moderator
arpz
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,267 posts
arpz has attended 22 events
Posted - 2018/09/27 :  22:20:11  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit arpz's homepage
No, it's completely ****ed. Events getting canned left right & centre

Alert moderator Go to top of page
djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2018/09/27 :  22:34:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage
I believe the official term is 'on it's arse'.

warped_candykid
Advanced Member

United States
3,931 posts
warped_candykid has attended 5 events
Posted - 2018/09/27 :  23:03:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit warped_candykid's homepage
I don't know what's going on with UK Hardcore now. You look on Juno, and there are tracks 120-140 bpm being labeled as UK Hardcore now. I definitely find myself buying more mid-2000s tracks than current tracks (I still try to find some new stuff I like, but it's becoming harder and harder).

DJIntensity

Australia
447 posts
Posted - 2018/09/30 :  20:33:55  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJIntensity's homepage
The scene is not the same as it was 10 years ago.

Elipton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,268 posts
Elipton has attended 2 events
Posted - 2018/10/01 :  07:38:39  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elipton's homepage
I think the conventional Hardcore industry is under attack, but it's not clear where from.

There are a great deal of tracks that do seriously well. Synthion is a producer doing well out of his own releases. I think the selling platform for the last decade through Beatport and Juno is tired, and unviable.

Monstercat is proof that there's life in the style of music, but the genre is self-contained and cannibalistic. I'm trying hard to break that barrier and release music my way to a new audience, and i'm finding it a successful venture. But there is a way,and a new formula to it all that will help the genre push forward. However,in the last 18 months,the genre has lost 2 big envoys in DS and gammer.

trippnface
Advanced Member

United States
1,654 posts
trippnface has attended 21 events
Posted - 2018/10/01 :  15:34:30  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit trippnface's homepage
I think it's done for.

Kniteforce and other guys doing old skool is the future imo

America really helped to ruin things honestly.

Nobody ever spoke/speaks up when the sound started drastically shifting.

Seriously suprised how many fan boys still scream over people like styles, just because it's styles. it's like they are too stupid or flat out don't care it sounds nothing like it should. When the artists stop caring, and the fans stop caring, that's it.

SparkzMusic

Zimbabwe
334 posts
Posted - 2018/10/02 :  14:35:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit SparkzMusic's homepage
The scene is well and truly finished. The problems stem back from many years ago.

A lot of people spoke up when the sound started changing but they were often accused of moaning.

Unfortunately what seems to have happened is dubcore caused a divide. A lot, if not most loyal hardcore fans hated it. A new wave of fans came in though who just like the dubstep elements of it.

Look at Pendulum for example. Drum and Bass/Jungle was a scene hated by many rockers and metalheads. Pendulum came about with a twist on it, threw in some guitars and rockers/metalheads were all over it. I have seen videos and heard people say they are "moshing" to Pendulum.

Anyway, they were never true, dedicated fans of drum and bass. It was just some of the elements they liked.

That's what's happened to core. The sound change pissed off most of the loyal fan base that would have bought all the albums and gone to all the events. In came a new wave of temporary fans who might go and see Darren Styles or Gammer but the rest of the time listen to and spend their money on Trap/Dubstep/Garage.

Scenes like Hardcore need structure. A bunch of bignames at the top bringing the crowds in, defining the sound. Then tiers lower down of producers who are also making that sound/adding their own twist to it.

When you have supposed big names like Gammer calling pish "happy hardcore" to make money from the American crowds, what hope is there for any structure or defined sound?

EK

United States
24 posts
Posted - 2018/10/02 :  15:24:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit EK's homepage
Yeah I've had this same feeling about hardcore gaining some speed since the beginning of 2017, at least in North America, especially the US. I feel like we've had a flux of new promoters and artists in the states recently.

Edited by - EK on 2018/10/02 15:27:26
Sulphurik
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
954 posts
Posted - 2018/10/02 :  17:56:32  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Sulphurik's homepage
DJ Seduction has released some new tracks. If you liked his early tracks, then you'll like these. Breakbeat hardcore isn't my favourite hardcore style but do like some and liked Seduction's mid 90s breakbeat tracks.

https://21stcenturyimpact.databeats.com/store

Love Like This sounds good!

Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Triquatra is a site donation subscriber Triquatra has attended 26 events
Posted - 2018/10/02 :  20:19:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage
I think there are so many factors playing against it that I don't think a popular re-surge like we had in the past is possible.

It appears that the original audience have all buggered off because the recipe changed too much and not enough were taken on to keep the current sound in the realms of rammed clubs.
I get the feeling that the active ravers in the UK are mostly either DJs, MCs or Producers.

In general, publically, there's very little 'genre loyalty' nowadays, and music fans are spread across the world with no real cohesion, listening to whatever they fancy, no longer tied by money to CD compilations or albums, listening to whatever suits their mood from a vast array of genres, mostly free and from the comfort of their/their mates homes.

From where I'm sitting there's little hope for any genre to gain popular ground like it used to.

Individual artists can rise up and gain popularity make good music, spread widely under NCS/NoCopyrightSounds on youtube, an army of youtubers using YOUR song as their intro or background music...continue on the "free" bandwagon and get your track in a popular level on Roblox....or other freebie game that shit tons of kids play.

Synth/Dream/Vapourwave all gained popularity after the marketing companies lost power to the internet, and I would say that is the kind of popularity that hardcore can *hope* for. Nothing more. That's not so bad, really.

Personally, for me things went sour pretty quick around about 2006 when the nu-skool happy sound started to dry up, which coincided with practically everybody being able to make hardcore cheep and easy on cracked FLstudio. Freeform survived for a good while longer but then eventually just succumbed to precision engineered face melting THOK duh duh THOK duh duh; which is fine if you want that, but if your taste in freeform is more embedded in the rather more laid back freeform of the 90s... 'Tekno Dred - More Understanding' stuff then even the guys into freeform get pushed away.

I know i've digressed a bit there, but I fancied warbling. I think a lot of new hardcore would be a hell of a lot more palatable to me (and maybe others?) out there if it wasn't so fatiguing.

Designing and releasing music for a club enviroment; but the club is pulling 50-60 people. Audience has clearly changed so perhaps it's time to design and release for home use and stop worrying what the other genres are doing :P

Wasn't it Jeremy Corbyn who wanted a kinder, gentler hardcore? I'm sure it was.

Edited by - Triquatra on 2018/10/03 12:52:15
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,064 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2018/10/03 :  04:29:41  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Sulphurik:
DJ Seduction has released some new tracks. If you liked his early tracks, then you'll like these. Breakbeat hardcore isn't my favourite hardcore style but do like some and liked Seduction's mid 90s breakbeat tracks.

https://21stcenturyimpact.databeats.com/store

Love Like This sounds good!

Sedder's back to his old money grabbing antics. People might like his music, but no one seem to like the person.

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

djscavenger

United Kingdom
119 posts
Posted - 2018/10/10 :  19:22:00  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djscavenger's homepage
Aside from the Hardcore a Underground crew and the occasional Scott Brown track very little takes my interest music wise. I don't think the scene ever recovered from the loss of big labels that underpinned the music such as Quosh, Next Generation, Essental Platinum and Raver Baby along with the associated artists.

It's different Than the 2000 situation where Hixxy & co dragged it back from the abyss. The old boys who founded the scene don't have that drive or creativity to do it again. In fairness it should be the new talent coming through to revitalise it but it's just not happened. Too many fruity loops producers knocking out cheap imitations of what was popular five years ago proving that anyone can make music but not everyone should.

As for the likes of Gammer and Styles they've gone to the states where Gammers brand of derpcore seems to be going down well. Personally I hate Gammers new style and it certainly not what got me into the music in the early years. Music is also far more disposable as well meaning compilations have dried up in favour of people making their own playlists. Add to this the fact so many clubs and venues are closing its a perfect storm.

It's sad to say this but it feels like the beggining of the end rather than the end of the beggining.

Edited by - djscavenger on 2018/10/10 19:22:52
DjCirrus

United States
61 posts
Posted - 2018/10/11 :  16:01:21  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DjCirrus's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by warped_candykid:
I don't know what's going on with UK Hardcore now. You look on Juno, and there are tracks 120-140 bpm being labeled as UK Hardcore now. I definitely find myself buying more mid-2000s tracks than current tracks (I still try to find some new stuff I like, but it's becoming harder and harder).

I know right! I just got into hardcore a year ago and I'd hate to see it die

Smoogie
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,480 posts
Posted - 2018/10/12 :  15:38:43  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Smoogie's homepage
It is all about Hard House these days. So much new talent coming through and some seriously big releases. This is what UK Hardcore could be doing but is not doing so.

One thing that sets Hard House and Hardcore apart? In Hard House new producers re able to make a breakthrough and add something to the scene along side of the older guys.

In UK Hardcore new producers where snubbed by the higher ups who have since abandoned the scene themselves

Here are some of my mixes for an example of what is out there:

The last of my former series

The start of my new series

Smoogie
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,480 posts
Posted - 2018/10/12 :  15:41:40  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Smoogie's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Triquatra:
Wasn't it Jeremy Corbyn who wanted a kinder, gentler hardcore? I'm sure it was.

Did someone say Corbyn? What is he doing being mentioned on here?

Well Corbyn wants all of his followers to listen to Dubstep/EDM/Trap while Theresa May supports the Strong and Stable Hard House scene.

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 8 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.64 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page